Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Haven't slept through the night in 6 months

chattiecchattie Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Sleep Problems
I haven't slept the whole night for six months i have tried natural sleeping tablets but they were no help my doctor was reluctant to put me on sleeping pills due to my age (20), I usually manage to sleep form about 11pm til 2am then really struggle to get comfortable and get back to sleep it can range between 5am-6am before I manage to get to sleep and then get up again for work at 8am. Due to my lack of sleep I am getting really run down and have had loads of colds and 6 coldsore's in 6 months. I just brought a memory foam pillow in an attempt to find something that might help but I'm open to options that others have tried.

• Sorry to hear your sleeping is a mess. Colds I can see with lack of sleep as our immune system takes a hit, but 'cold sores' are a virus and not normally associated with lack of sleep. Cold sores too are part of the herpes (not the bad herpes)simplex, and once we have one, can get others.

My cervical is a mess, and I've since bought an adjustable TempurPedic bed and mattress, and also have a cervical pillow to give curved support to my neck. I also sleep on my back to try and keep a 'natural load' on my neck. I have fusions, so my once favored sleep position (belly) is not an option. I sleep mostly on my back, but at times on my side.

Have you tried sleeping on your back, or side, or with your legs elevated, neck and shoulder elevated with a wedge pillow? I have found that 'experimenting' is what I needed to do to find relief.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My coldsore's tend to be more of a problem when I'm stressed and run down and as I have constant headaches caused by my neck my lack of sleep is really is an issue.

I have tried different pillows and positions, I tend to have to change sides I'm lying on half way through the night and I went through a stage of putting my head between two pillows while lying on my back so my head couldn't move which works for a few hours
  • Stress...nodding in understanding and full agreement. I do know with me when I got them, lots of things causing me stress.

I use "Carmex" to heal mine, and most times they don't come back. If they get really bothersome, a Dermatologist can give you something with more "umf" as they say. :)

Sleeping.... Glad to see you are experimenting. Some folks put a pillow between their legs to reduce their moving around during the night. I have my nights where a "good nights sleep" is 6 one hour naps! Other times I can sleep for a few hours, wake...wiggle a bit, and go back to sleep. I have a lot of spine issues, so I have had to get creative.

Even though your neck is the issue presently, try elevating your upper body to see if that helps. Another thing that might help, and yes it is odd, but the "U" shaped pillow they advertise for travel may help with sleeping too! Unfortunately until we try different things, we never know.

Using Ice/Heat before bed might also help kick some spasms out. Gentle stretches fore and aft might help as well. Have they tried muscle relaxers for you? There are a lot of medications out there that don't affect your body much, and can give great relief. Narcotics aren't always the way to go... Just more options/thoughts.

• I'll definitely give the body elevation a go and I have used a wheat pack before bed to warm my neck which does help with the muscles.

I have an uncanny ability to crack my neck and i seem to think that this helps me get to sleep for a bit, I did start out on 75mg anti-inflammatory pills they kind of helped.

I personally am not a big fan of putting alot of medications in my body when I'm not certain I can see results but if it helps I'm all for it, I have tried reflexology and acupuncture which were both very interesting experiences but no noticeable difference
  • Not sure if I would continue "cracking" your neck for relief. Normally the cracking is either 'air bubbles' escaping or ligaments snapping back into place. If you are getting relief, a chiro might be something to look at again - after it is shown that nerves aren't being affected.

My chiropractor for instance allowed me to stay in my career for years, but once it was shown via electrical testing and MRI that I had herniations and nerve issues, he wouldn't adjust me anymore - could cause more damage.

Acupuncture didn't do much for me either. I love the concept, but my spine didn't read the literature! (G)

Most of my cervical spine has issues, and I went through a phase where I would wake with headaches from hell. I now sleep around 25 degree elevated for my upper body, and I've knocked those puppies down around 65%. I sleep with my legs elevated too, but I have a lot of things going on in the lumbar (2 surgeries coming of that).

Try elevating, and hopefully you will see some relief.

• the cracking you hear is nitrogen/O2 and carbon dioxide gas escaping from the joints .not bone on bone as some people think .sleep problems are very common with chronic pain sufferers .i have not slept for m ore than 2/3 hours for the last 6 years now{Nov}.if its pain that's waking you up the best way of dealing with it .is to come downstairs and take your pain killers have a drink use a TENS and get comfy on a recliner {if you have one} if not your comfiest chair..the worst thing you can do is just lay there and brave it out until morning ..trust me i have tried everything {i have the electrical adjustable memory foam bed/various memory foam pillows} and an electrical rise and recline recliner .watch tv and you will fall asleep .a sleeping pill from your doctor should help is the pain is a temporary thing .
    {don't waste your money on the herbal sleeping pills } nytol one a night is a good OTC med
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have just got tens so ill give that a go and am heading to the doctor on Tuesday to discuss sleeping pills
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    .. a number of people who have cold sore from lack of sleep. As we know we're not just talking about missing a night or two a month.

Yes, cold sores are a virus...but a cold is a virus, also..

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dear chattie, i have spent many sleepless nights and what i have found to help is music.. i get very cozy in my bed, plenty of pillows and my comfy pj's, then i put on some relaxing music, sometimes rock and roll, and let the music take me away.. it helps me with pain as well. i get a few hours of sleep at night this way.. i doze off and on all night long.. i also find that napping during the day can often can give me more rest than trying to sleep at night.. good luck catching some zzzz"sss!!! Jenny :)p.s. sometimes trying to hard to sleep can be a big factor in preventing sleep.. if you can't sleep, do something for a little while and then try again.. i keep my laptop or a good book handy!!