Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When should I switch doctors?

Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I chose my NS based on his reputation and skills. Unfortunately, his office is a disaster and he's always in surgery and unavailable. I spoke with his nurse on Tuesday about pain that has not resolved from the surgery. She said that she would speak with him on Wednesday. I called yesterday and she said that he was operating all day and she only spoke with him briefly. She promised that she would speak with him again on Thursday. I called this morning and she is not in the office and the secretary said that I will have to call back on Monday, unless it's an emergency! Is this typical? He is one of the best NS for spine fusions in the area and I understand that he busy, but getting a question answered shouldn't take a week?!? Do I stick with him because he's the best or should I ditch him and find another doctor? :?
2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches

• and yes stick with him. He does surgery, that's his thing. The better surgeons don't hand hold, respond to phone calls, or much else. That is why they have nurses and PAs. To handle all the grunt work.

If his nurse assists him and/or his PAs then on surgery days you can forget getting a response. It'll be a few days. Not fun when you're in pain but a reality.

• Thanks for you reply and reassuring me that I should stay with him. It really sucks when you want an answer soon when it comes to pain. Also, if I want an appointment, I'll have to wait around 3-4 weeks to see him. :<
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I agree, getting a neurosurgeon to call you back personally just isn't going to happen, that is why they have PA's & RN's. Most surgeons don't like to personally answer routine op. questions, and except in extremely rural areas, don't care to participate in pain management any time after the immediate post-op period.