Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice for recovery from lumbar microendoscopic discectomy

Heather4ECUHHeather4ECU Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I was looking for advice on recovery from a lumbar microendoscopic discectomy. After two round of injections and months of physical therapy, I re-herniated my L5-S1 again and have opted for surgery.

My neurosurgeon was very vague about recovery and I was not very good about asking questions due to the amount of pain I was in at the time.

I know recovery can look different for everyone, but from what was told to me, I can expect to lay flat for 7 days and then no heavy lifting for 3-4 weeks. They will also expect me to take walks daily.

My son's first Birthday is 8 days post surgery and was wanting to know what I could expect in terms of pain and my ability to get up, move around etc. as I would like to be able to attend his doctor's appointment and celebrate with cake and ice cream that night.

I appreciate any information you have to offer about personal experience or advice on the recovery process.

• Welcome to spine health! You are right in that everyone's recovery is different. It a can depend on so many factors, ie. other issues going on with your spine, how long your nerve was compressed, health in general, etc.

I am 5 weeks out and am still having alot of problems, but others feel better almost immediately.

I know they like you to walk as much as possible, short frequent walks at first, slowly building up. This usually starts right after surgery.

No BLT is very important. I know you said 3-4 weeks with no heavy lifting, but I know for myself anyway, I will continue to avoid any kind of heavy lifting way past that, if ever.

Regarding your son's b-day, it could depend how far away you need to go by car to appointment as sitting in a car (or sitting in general) can be difficult during recovery, as well as the jarring of being in a car.

For the party, I'm sure it would do you good to be there, as long as you are in a comfy spot, not planning and hosting party, just relaxing and enjoying company, leaving preparation, cooking etc. to everyone else.

Wishing you all the best, please keep us updated on how you are doing.

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • When are you having your surgery?
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Do you know how the surgeon will access the disc?

I had the procedure you are describing. Twice.
    In my version, I had only 2 small access port incisions that did not even require stitches. Two small band aids were enough! Two small punctures and they insert the small flexible plastic fiber-optic endoscopes to get to the disc.

I was up and around right away but going slow. My surgeons are adamant about post-op aquatic therapy. I had to go to the pool a few times a week immediately after surgery.

Ice was also very helpful.

There are other versions of this procedure that use the same nomenclature, but they are a little more invasive. In these, a larger incision is made, a hole is made in the vertebrate, and they go to work.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • thanks for the helpful comments thus far. My surgery will be on the 16th. I am not sure about access sites etc, but I know it is done with one incision I believe. I am so worried about recovery as my almost one year old is almost 27 lbs and is not walking so needs to be carried, lifted often. My husband is helpful but it will be hard to be momma and not lift him for a significant length of time. I hope I will be able to attend his doctor appt on the 24th, even if I stand the entire time etc. I would hate to miss it. I am also planning on returning to work on September 6th which I hope is feasible because that it all the FMLA I have to take since taking maternity leave last year. Luckily, I can work from home via phone and internet.