Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy L4-S1 Surgery September 12

Calico1983CCalico1983 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having a L4-S1 laminectomy in September and I'm 28 years old. I'm scared to death. Has anyone had this done recently? What was your experience like? I'm having my procedure done at Georgetown University Hospital in DC. I know they are a great facility, I'm just nervous. HELP!

• Welcome to spine health. Sorry that you need to be here.
    It is very normal to be nervous about having surgery, I know that I definately was. I recently had a discectomy at L4-S1, once the surgeon was in there and saw that things were much worse than he thought, he also did a laminectomy, removing alot of bone.

Everyone's recovery is different. Try to be prepared beforehand, have a grabber, raised toilet seat helps, have often needed items at proper level to avoid bending. After, try to walk as much as possible, rest in between, take your meds so that your pain doesn't get ahead of you.

How long have you been suffering with back pain and what is your diagnosis? Have you had more than one opinion from a fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon?

Wishing you all the best, please keep us updated on how you are doing leading up to and after surgery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I had a laminectomy on C7/T1 8 weeks ago. I can't believe how much better I am now !!! My only problem is a bit of soreness in that area. If you have a pinched spinal cord ... get it fixed :)
  • Hi Karen,
    Thanks for your comment! I have been dealing with back pain for the last 16 years of my 28 year old life. Its been crazy but now that my condition is known, it can finally be dealt with. I've had about 8 opinions ranging from "I won't touch you" to " we can get some of this fixed". I have DDD, herniations at T12-L1, L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, spinal stenosis and crushed nerves on the left and right side. Its all a mess really but hopefully my leg pain will be taken care of after this and then I can focus on managing the back pain. I commute about 100 miles daily and that has really made the pain more aggressive. I feel confident with the doctor I have and hopeful that I can have some relief...I'm just really scared. I have tried PT, ESI, cortizone injections and nothing helps so this is where I'm at now. Any information or support is welcome and appreciated.
  • Hi Calico! I am sorry that you need surgery at such a young age but hopefully releasing the nerves will relieve your leg pain.

I am having the same surgery on the same day but L3-5.

I am nervous also but my legs are getting so weak it just has to be done.

My second surgery was Laminectomy/decompression from L3 to S1.

I hope this will be your one and only surgery and my last! Hang in there! Wishing you all the best!