Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this normal Post ACDF issues

NeckjobNNeckjob Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all I'm new to the forum and need some info.

I just had a ACDF with a 2 level fusion at c2/c3 and c3/c4 for cervical stenosis with myelopathy about 5 weeks ago. I was feeling great until I went back to work part-time a week ago. about three days in I notice my bottom lip was tingling and neck was getting sore. Now my whole face and head is tingling as well as my upper torso. Is this normal?

• Hi
    Im not sure but 4 weeks seems early to return to work but maybe it depends what type of work tyou are doing...did ou get doctors clearance and are you bending, lifting or doing anything strenuous? We are at a similar atage in recovery, mines about 4 and a half weeks now, 2 levels too. I am definately not able to work but I have other health issues too that complicated my recovery. When is your post op check up scheduled for? I know I am still getting new tingles and pains popping up that I havent had before but I am assuming that theres a lot of tissue and nerves that need to settle and heal and regenerate after such surgery.
    Im sure someone will chime in with something a little more expert, mines just based on my current experience. I hope you feel better soon.
  • HI,
    I think you may have gone back to work too soon! And with a desk job, think of the positioning of your head....your neck is under stress, I think... Sitting still, and looking down at papers, computer, whatever... is not good postioning at this point. Maybe if you got up and moved, to change position and give your neck a rest, the symptoms would be less, or wear your collar and let your neck rest now and then.
    Best wishes to feel better soon!
  • I started working again at 5 weeks but only 4-5 hours a day. This was fully cleared by the doctor. I was up and down from my desk every 30 min or so.

What's bad is I had no remaining nerve pain and the stiffness in my neck had almost completely subsided. However, now my neck is very stiff, I have tingling on my face and upper torso.

I hope I didn't just waste my time on the surgery.
  • Did you call your surgeon and inform them of the symptoms your are having? That is what they are there for and don't be afraid to call them. If the symptoms are beginning to get worse and not better then it is time to ask the professionals what is going on. He/she may want some images to be sure nothing is moving. But I also noticed you have myelopathy, did they mention that some of your symptoms won't change and surgery was done to stop the progression not to fix them? While you might have thought the symptoms disappeared during surgery they add a lot of meds to your spine and it may have helped with the symptoms but now as those meds wear out, they could be returning, but that is speculation as well on my part. You can research myelopathy more so you understand some of the symptoms that come with it. So no you didn't waste your time on surgery, as it is the only way to stop the progression of the symptoms.