Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When was your post op ACDF appt?

elleHeelleH Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just wondered what the different timescales are that people have experienced for their first 2 level ACDF post op check up appointment after discharge from hospital and if they had a 2nd appoitment, when was that?
Thank you.

• HI,
    I had the 1st checkup at 1 month...everything was ok, so then it was quarterly, with x-ray each time. At the 1 yr checkup we found there was a screw that wasn't fused in, so we redid the surgery, anterior and posterior this time, to try to lock it in.
    Hope you're feeling better!
  • I had my first appointment 6 weeks post-op and then at 3 months post-op. My next one will be around the 6 month post-op mark. I believe I will have my last appointment with my NS at the one year mark. Hope your recovery has been going well!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I had my first check-up at two week mark to check the placement of the hardware and look at the incisions. I have had multiple surgeries so after that point it has all been different. For example one of the surgeries the next appointment was 6 month mark while another one is three month appointment. It is going to depend on what the surgeon finds when they do the surgery, and what they use to close with, IE staples, stitches or glue. Also the answer will depend on why they are doing the surgery, while the approach is the same for all surgeries one person may have a disc issue while another has instability issue. Hence you will find some with collars, some with braces and so on. Also the difference in the recovery periods.
  • I had a 2 week and 6 week post op xray and checkup. I am seeing my doctor on monday for some other issue with my back. I don't know when the next one will be. I am about 7 weeks post op.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I am now being reviewed for lower back problems so next appointment will be after nerve blocks in L5-S1
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • My first post-op was 2 weeks (actually 16 days)to check incision and checking range-of-motion and strength. X-rays are at the 2 month mark.

• Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. Wow, its as I thought, a lot sooner than mine! Apart from an xray whilst still in hospital to check the fusion was in place my first check up appointment has come through the post for nearly 5 months time from the op. Do you think this is correct or normal? I also have other health issues that make this particularly odd as it has made my recovery very difficult due to excessive weakness including making it difficult to support my neck up the whole time which I would have thought made my need for a check up even more important to ensure everythings staying where it should be? I dont know whether to check up on this or not, the whole experience has not been good in all honesty and I dont want to be on the phone checking up on something else if I dont need to be :( But this doesnt seem right to me, what do you think?
  • Elle,

ARe you saying your first check up appointment is 5 months from the time of your surgery? If so that doesn't sound right at all, and I would be calling and asking. If your having new weakness issues you really need to be seen by the surgeon. don't worry or think you might be bothering them as that is what you pay for. But I would most certainly make a call to them and explain your not doing well. Whom is filling meds for you?
  • Hi, Yes, my first appointment is 5 months from my surgery. I wasnt given any meds except codeine and paracetamol, no further instructions re when they run out, I assume I can ask my GP. This is the UK health system! I dont have new issues as such, I have severe issues of my other health problems which were worsened by the surgery which are having a big impact on my recovery and which landed me in intensive care for an extended stay post op. That in itself made me think they would want to check all is well a little sooner!? I certainly dont feel comfortable leaving it so long. I have to say I am amazed at reading about people walking x number of miles, returning to work etc, I havent left the house and cannot turn my head properly yet. I can feel the fusion very much and feel extremely nauseous looking to the right or left. I have no feeling in half my neck or chin. I read about people using collars etc but had nothing here, just a soft floppy one with some beans in for the first couple of days which i was discouraged to use but had to use sometimes after arguing.I am having to use a stronger foam one at times now.
  • Wow Elle,

I do find that very odd. My 2 week and 6 week checkups and xrays were to see if the plating had moved at all. I seem my NS again today because of other back issues. (I am about 7.5 weeks post op). Even though your appointment is a few months away, you should still call your doctor and let them know the symptoms you are having. Even request another appointment. I am not sure how you can "feel" your fusion, I can't feel mine. You should ask them about that. Also when your meds run out, if you feel you need more just call the doctors office and request a refill.

I hope you get some help soon.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I have just rung and queried my appointment, felt sure it was a mistake but was told although it is meant to be six weeks,...this is the first available appointment as my surgeon has quite a few cancelled clinics due to various reasons including study leave. 6 weeks and nearly 5 months...thats a huge difference...and it seems theres nothing I can do. If my GP is worried aboout anything she can fax the hospital who will pass on her concerns to the surgeon who will then reply but there are no appointments.

• I am also in the UK, and understand how long we Brits have to wait, but waiting until nearly 5 months for your first follow-up appointment is amazing!

Did you have x-rays while you were still in the hospital after surgery, to check that the hardware was still in place?

If you want more paracetamol and coedine, you can buy them over the counter. You can even get Coceodamol (spelling?!!) which is a combination of the two. They are very reasonable in the supermarkets.

Has your surgeon got a registrar who could see you while you wait for this other appointment.

Do you have any specific worries about your cervical surgery? If so, I would certainly contact your GP and ask them what they suggest.

Hope that things work out for you.
    Do let us know how you get on. >:D<

• Hi,
    I believe the appointment is with the Registrar if I read the appointment letter proerley looking at the code and I have had many with various departments at the same hospital to know their abbreviations quite well by now. The Department told me that if my GP has any concerns she can fax him and he or someone will reply, but cant see me as there simply are not enough appointments due to cancelled clinics and no Doctors due to leave. I had an xray on the 2nd day to check the graft was in the right place but thats all. I am still dumbfounded by this. Very upset in fact, this is not 'care' by any means.