Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

numb, weak, dizzy..

moongloemmoongloe Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
two weeks ago i discovered i had 3 bulging cervical discs. here is what i experienced:
i was sitting & felt both arms go weak, heavy, & tingly. within moments the feeling passed, so i dismissed it. two days later it happened again. afraid i was having a heart attack, i took some aspirin & sat back down. minutes later it happened again. my husband rushed me to the er. at this point i was shaky, dizzy, & feeling queasy. (they admitted me to the hospital for observation, thinking it was heart-related.)
that eve the doc thought perhaps it was a pinched nerve, so sent me in for an mri. that's when they discovered the disc bulges.
in the morning they told me to get a neck brace, a cervical pillow, to stop carrying my 24mo, & to see an ortho as soon as possible. i have hmo, so asap = a week later. he said i'll need further nerve testing done, & ordered physical therapy. i'm waiting for the hmo to approve those. the waiting is hard.
i need advice. it's hard to find information for what i'm experiencing, because i haven't any pain.
i've not had a repeat of that severe weak/numb/etc in the arms episode, but i am dealing with a lot of minor symptoms.
i have dizziness, mild queasiness, milder numbness in both arms, an all over sensation that feels as if my arms/legs are on the verge of falling asleep, tingling in my lower face, and a lowered sensation of feeling on the skin of my arms.
now, these symptoms are not constant, they come and go to varying degrees. sitting brings it on for sure, as does using my arms (cooking, etc) in front of me. the rest of the time i am unsure what caused it. different things just appear.
i am freaking out, because i don't know what is going on with me. nobody else seems to be experiencing what i am, so i feel as though i'm all alone. i am getting panicked, which makes me think ridiculous thoughts - like i'll turn my head the wrong way, & become instantly paralyzed. sigh.
if anyone has experienced this, please let me know.

• HI,
    I think the advice you got from the ER is very good. See the ortho, and see what is going on. And check out the PT if all is well..
    Symptoms of lots of things can come and go, but since you notice that certain things brings on the numbness/weakness, can you back off those things somewhat?
    You are not alone...look around this site, and you will find all kinds of issues that people are dealing with. You'll like this site, and if you're in the mood, check out the chat line!!
    I hope your HMO speeds things up and you get to find the answers you're looking for! Feel better and try to relax!
  • I'm so sorry you feel alone with your symptoms! I've been battling episodes of dizziness/nausea for over a year. In February I had a ACDF that helped with a lot of my migraines, but the dizziness was always lingering. Can you let us know which levels you have disc bulge?

I found out recently that my right short leg is most likely the cause of my dizziness. Still waiting to get the prescription to have my legs x-rayed and measured to check if it's anatomical. Since I was 12 years old, I noticed that my right leg was shorter. No one told me that this could cause spine issues later on in life. I just started wearing a heal lift and it has helped a little. Keep us posted on your visit with your ortho!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Sounds as the ortho doctor did the standard treatment for bulging disc, such as the PT, and nerve study. The nerve study I will assume is going to be a EMG test, in which they use small needles and electrodes to test the nerves in your arms and will follow them to your cervical spine. Typically any spine after the age of 25 will show some issues, so they need to be sure that what your feeling in your spine is related to your cervical spine.

With that said you can also look at a dermatone map, and see if the levels they found in your spine correlate to any of the feelings you are having in your arms. It is common for issues with the cervical spine to affect the arms, while issues with lumbar will effect the legs. I say that as it sounds they have ruled out any effects or pressure on the spinal cord, if they are bulging disc. Bulging is measured by the size it protrudes into the cervical spine.

Did they offer up any injections? Sometimes injections are used to help alleviate the symptoms, along with pt. Message therapy can also help reduce the symptoms. Hopefully they have gotten or are getting you out of the cervical collar, as any type of bracing only weakens the muscle more. You might find it more helpful to do things that are close to you, and not reach for things, that will help some of it as well. When you bend over be sure to use your legs and knees but not at the waist, putting less stress on your neck.

The other thing you can do is look at the FAQ section at the top of the page, and there is a link of to a article preparing to meet with a spine surgeon, and another link of 38 questions to ask a surgeon. Those will help you formulate question to ask the ortho the next time you see him/her. The bad thing in this whole process is there is no quick fix it can take sometime to get headed in the right direction. But one thing we all understand so if you have any questions ask away. Keep us posted on how you get along.
  • i appreciate people replying to my post so quickly. thanks!
    the most significant bulge is c6c7. the other two i do not know, only that they're in the neck. i was more than a bit overwhelmed getting the info, so forgot to write it down.
    he did mention injections and surgery, but said they would be considered only if conservative treatment doesn't work.
    i'm so frustrated. i took a nap with my toddler, & felt normal upon waking. then i washed two dishes & became slightly tired, so sat down. that's when my arms kicked in again. they feel as though they are shaky, but if i lift them to see, they are steady. it's the most bizarre sensation. i'm sitting in a recline right now, with an ice pack on my neck.
    i am sorry to be so whiny. i know that my problem is minor compared to what i've read here. it's just that it's so new to me, and i am afraid. nobody in my life understands. they keep saying 'you'll be fine'. sigh.
    thanks for your support. i'll check back here often.
    i hope all of you are feeling ok today.
  • I have the exact same symptoms, down to the numbness along the jawline. I couldn't find a date of the posts but was wondering if there were any updated!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is a very old post from 2011, for the best support and information I suggest you make a new post of your own, you can do this by clicking on 'Create forum post' on the left if this page

Welcome to Spine-Health and how to get started here

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery