Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my Appointment......

graciegirlggraciegirl Posts: 249
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I am still pre surgery after my appt last week but was told with the ACDF 2 level, no brace but one long plate with 3 screws.

I am still giving it another month or so as my pain has redistibuted itself 50/50 between my arm and neck. The surgeon said that he could fix the arm pain but not the neck. He is hesitant to do this now until we see where the pain goes. I am glad he is conservative but I seem to be back to square one. I do have another surgeon supplied by him for a second opinion. Will make that appt.

The bummer is on the 100 mile trip to my appointment we were in an accident. No one hurt? Well,my back is now hurting real bad and will have to get another MRI of that. i already have had one years ago and have 2 bulged and 2 ruptured discs. What timing. My knee is also complaining on which i tore my mniscus in half 2 years ago. Do you sometimes think it is one step forward and more back?! Uh.

Hope you all are hanging in there.

• HI,
    Geez, all those problems and a car accident too? I'm sorry to hear of that, but at least you saw the dr, and he is referring you for a 2nd opinion.
    Yes, it seems it's always 2 steps forward, 4 steps back.. Best wishes to find the answers and feel better soon!
  • I am so sorry to hear about your car accident! Did you all go to the hospital right away? Was the accident a week ago? Please do get this checked out.

Good that you are going to make an appointment to see another surgeon for a second opinion. Sometimes it is a good idea to have an opinion from a doctor unassociated with the first one that you saw. Then it is a totally unbiased opinion. Are you seeing a fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon?

Has your pain changed, as you said it is now 50/50, was it previously more in your arm?

Wishing you all the best, and please do get an MRI from the accident. Everyone else okay?

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Why does he say it won't help the neck pain at all? My pain was 60% shoulder, 30%neck and 10% upper arm. I had a one level acdf, c4-5 and it helped my neck, shoulder and arm pain. My neck barely hurts at all, my shoulder still hurts but maybe 10% of what it used to be, and my upper arm barely hurts at all. I am about 7 weeks post op.

Sorry about the car accident! I hope you are ok.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Gracie,

I love the fact your getting a second opinion. However, I always tell everyone for true second opinion you should get one from a independent surgeon, one whom has no known affiliation with your surgeon. Remember your trying to get information not just confirm your surgeons suggestions. If they have affiliation more than likely they will have your surgeons reports, and know your using him as the surgeon, so it will be a in and out deal. If you go to someone completely independent of your surgeon, and let them formulate their own opinion you might get more information, just a thought. Bummer about the accident glad no one was hurt to serious. Yes sometimes things seem to mount up on us, take it easy as they can become over whelming.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Second opinions to me are a must when it comes to surgery. What you are really after, is for two doctors to agree on the condition you are in and agree upon the treatment.

When you have different views, its the time for a third opinion.

You do want the second opinion to come from a doctor and/or group that is not associated with the first doctor.

I had one second opinion that was from the same office as the doctor I had been seeing. The words were almost identical each step along the way. As if it was a script. That turned me off.

I just came back from a second opinion regarding my hip. Total different doctors, one up in Danbury CT, the other in NYC. The one in NYC, he wanted his own set of X-Rays and didnt want any input or statements that the other doctor gave me.

In the end, they both agreed with the problem and what should be done.

To me, thats why it is so very important to get two different and non-biased opinions.

I hope that you didnt get too rattled in the car accident or have any post effects.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Everyone,

I am hoping the pain in my hip and back are just strains and/ro pulled muscles. I already have ruptures pain/neck area but this pain is all new and off to the right side of myback and left hip.
    The accident was last Wednesday on the way to the big city 100 miles away. Lucky no other car invloved. We hit a running deer at 60 mph. Tried top slow down. something was chasing it and it came head on. The deer made out worse than we. :( Never hit a deer ever before living here in the north woods. The pain other than new; it changed from right arm radicular to bad pain in the neck/ right arm evenly distributed. The neuro would still operate to get rid of the 4 bone spurs and radicular symptoms but said the pain from surgery plus neck pain is more iffy and with all my other health problems joint wise I should maybe wait to see what will happen. I don't know the "why" of it. I asked so many questions that that was one i did not address. I'm glad you are doing so much better Donnabe.

I did ask for the name of another surgeon as we go to FL to visit family and if surgery is not done here could be done there if need be. Will see the neuro that he recommended. Tam tam, When I make that appt in October, will not mention who referred me. That is the best i can come up with for now. My surgery is kinda on hold also because of my husbands heart and broken tailbone. I am hoping for better days to schedule. things are not always easy or fall into place. If it gets totally unbearable, i will just schedule it here regardless.

• Hi Ron,

I definitely agree with you and Tam tam. The problem being,I live 100 miles from the nearest city with a neurology clinic and 3 neurosurgeons in the same office. I have only seen the one neuro there as you mention because they all "work together." I did see him when I originally fractured my neck in 1990. I believe him to be a good surgeon and in a "small" community you hear both the good and bad. That is the one advantage living in a small town/area. The disadvantage of course is the long drive for medical help and opinions. That is why I am trying to hold on til we go to FL for other opinions but the pain can be so great at times i don't know if I can hold on. It is bearable/manageable for now as long as I curtail my work,(almost completely) and take all my meds for now. Two months ago, not the case. I wanted to give up right then and there. I am hoping to make it to to October without any more really more acute phases. My poor husband is having a hard time doing most of my work now as he has heart disease, a new PM, parkinsons mild, but nasty tremors and a broken tailbone also exaserbated by the accident. We just pray to God to keep us going on and He has been. Things are not going so well with other things as I am feeling more pain elsewhere now, too. I will schedule an MRI if things don't get better in a few days again. Uh. I'm used to chronic pain but not in so many new places again.