Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery went well

dmdocddmdoc Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Guys,
I had a one level, C5-C6 ACDF on August 11th. I hardly have any neck pain, but the pain in my throat is terrible. I am having a hard time swallowing anything. I don't choke on anything, but food and meds get stuck there. I thought it was just a sensation, until I was able to taste my med as it dissolved. Any advice on how long this will take?

Another strange issue is my near vision is very blurry. I was at the eye doctor the week before surgery and there were no problems with near. It is a bit disturbing. I cant imagine it is related to surgery or if is from the pain meds. Anyone have this issue?

The last issue, Which I assume is anesthesia related is low blood pressure post op. They had to cut down my pain meds.

ACDF 8/11/11

• Anesthesia, pain meds and stress of the surgery are all known for creating temporary blurred vision. However, it never hurts to put a call into your eye doc and ask for his/her professional opinion.

Surgery always throws my body haywire for a few weeks before things settle down and get back to baseline.

• Your neck muscles are tight and impinging on the occipital nerve. This is normal and either a massage of neck muscles or heat will make it better. If neither helps with the vision, then call you surgeon! Sounds like your surgery went well! Good luck!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Thank you for the information. The blurry vision was a bit scary. Taking medicine is difficult with the swelling in my neck. Finally my blood pressure is up to normal, so I assume is was anesthesia related. I am getting rather bored sitting around, but I do not want to compromise anything.
  • I had a tough time with swallowing. Like you, food and meds. got stuck. I was told thick, smooth foods - I found mashed potatoes easy, applesauce, spaghetti/pasta. For some reason, potato chips were easy - I enjoyed the crunch, but I guess they just pulverize to nothing. I did have you chew and chew all the food. One trick I learned from my ENT - if you are having trouble swallowing pills, lean your head/neck a little forward and down and it'll make it easier. In the hospital they put small pills in applesauce for me to swallow. With patience it will slowly get better.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    A previous poster in this thread made a definitive statement that:

"Your neck muscles are tight and impinging on the occipital nerve. This is normal and either a massage of neck muscles or heat will make it better."

This (to me) implies a provisional diagnosis and recommended treatment(s).

The following instruction was "If neither helps with the vision, then call your surgeon".

We are not qualified to diagnose or recommend treatments - we can certainly relate our experiences and what has helped us in the past in similar situations.

You specifically stated that you "hardly have any neck pain, but the pain in my throat is terrible.

I am not aware of such a treatment of "throat massage" or the occurrence of cervical myositis causing issues with the occipital nerve(s).

Bottom line - Discuss your symptoms with your physicians prior to following ANY advice obtained via Spine Health as we are NOT qualified to provide recommended treatments or casual relationships between symptoms and potential therapies.

Please speak with you doctor(s) about what problems you are having and follow their directions.

With Concern,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Bravo!! I was going to post similar, but you beat me to it! (G)

For my first cervical fusion (C5/6) my throat was sore for like 2 weeks, and for my second fusion (C6/7) almost 3 weeks. I called it my cold like sore sticky throat!

Like was said, soft foods, cool drinks etc., helped a bit. When they do the surgery, they have to move your esophagus to the side to access your vertebra and disks - "Mr esophagus" doesn't much care for it, and we pay with a sore throat for a short period of time.

Blurry vision. Like "C" said, and I too have had this, for a week or so after anesthesia, my vision was a bit whacked. The Anesthesiologist puts a lot of crap in our systems, and our bodies need time to process it out.

My favorite phrase is "If in doubt, check it out." If you get really concerned, please give your surgeon a call. We heal tons better when 'relaxed' vs stressed out. Most surgeons are pretty open to addressing concerns and questions. Welcome to the "other side!!" :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you for your concern and insight. The doctor felt the blurred vision was due to anesthesia. Now my vision is normal and my blood pressure is back to normal. I am having some upper back spasms and feel a bit sore. It is still hard to swallow, but I have stuck to soft foods.The recliner chair has been my best friend. KarenD I am going to try your trick when I need to take my medicine next time.