Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any help?

Gretchen1GGretchen1 Posts: 105
Hello, again, fellow spineys. Am hoping this is the right category for some advice. I had a L5-S1 TLIF, with decompression, cage and BMP on 02/02/10. Other than the usual surgical pain, did very well, was fused at 3 months and released back to work. My only post-surgical setbacks were a loose screw on my 15 day check-up, which was solved with a brace, and unexplained leg swelling. I was released back to work on 04/15/10 for 4 hour days, due to leg swelling, and for normal work activities on 6/1/10.

I had some really good months, until February of this year. My leg swelling has not really gotten any better, and my pre-surgery nerve pain seems to have moved from my left hip to my calf, ankle and foot. I then started having back pain, which I never had before surgery. TED stockings do not help the swelling, I think they make it worse honestly.

A year after surgery, and CT's, MRI's, x-rays, dopplers, I still have no answers. My surgeon basically told me there is nothing showing on the diagnostic studies, and pawned me off to pain management when I refused to do Lyrica after a 30 day trial. My PCP, who is the one who sent me for dopplers, definitely thinks this is a nerve issue and thinks I should see a neurologist.

I spent 2 years being mis-diagnosed with bursitis of the hip. Beside my grade III slip at L5, the pars fracture had been just pounding my nerve all that time. I am aware of the longer the nerve imgigement, the less chance of it coming back and there are no guarantees.

I'm just wondering if there is something my doctors are overlooking with my leg swelling, mainly just one, the dreaded pins and needles and on fire feeling, and my lack of feeling my left foot. You could stick a pin in it and I wouldn't feel it.

I hate to distrust my surgeon at this point but my PCP seemed so convinced it was a nerve issue. I know what nerve pain feels like and this is definitely it. I just don't want to go on the merry-go-round of doctors again. Oh, and I tried the B-12, which did help for a few weeks, but I would have to take enough to hurt me at this point.

Anyone else had this problem?