Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need a great neurosurgeon in LV area~

BonbonBBonbon Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
New to this forum, facing surgery on L3-L5 (decompressive laminectomy , pedicle screw pod (? physician's handwriting!) fixation. Loved the first surgeon's treatment options, he's very "into" this, but think a second opinion might be a good idea. Live in a very rural area, hoping to seek a second opinion in the Las Vegas/Henderson, NV area. Anyone have a recommendation for a great surgeon? Thanks!

• Hey there,

I know folks cannot post actual doctor recommendations here but hopefully you'll connect with folks that can PM you.

As for an approach, does your insurance or company have a 'health coach' type option that can at least give you options? I say this b/c my company does this and says how many complaints (if any) they have, if they have/had any lawsuits, etc. and they tell you the first available appointment.

The other options is to continue to ask like this with your local contacts (like your general practitioner, your friends, etc.).

I found my 2nd surgeon b/c I made it very clear to several folks that I had issues and luckily my husband's cousin asked around at the hospital he worked at and I gave this NS a try.

The other option is to see who is covered.
    If you got an opinion from a Ortho-spine, try getting a 2nd opinion from an NS (or vice-versa).

I did have to visit ~7 doctors in total (so 6 extra opinions) to find a surgeon I was comfortable with and that was IN network.

I know, not much help but worth the effort! I love my surgeon because he made sure I understood the long term plan if the surgery failed, etc.

good luck
  • Of course, what was I thinking?? All good suggestions, thanks. Had bilateral total hip replacements in the PHX area in 1999 & 2002, my orthopedic surgeon down there recommended the NS I was evaluated by last week and I'm hoping one of the ortho surgeons in the practice might have a suggestion for the LV area.

I will contact my secondary health insurance provider (primary is Medicare) to see if they have anything to offer as far as a surgical suggestion. I'm in a fair amount of pain, it's impacting my life (and my marriage!), so time is of some concern.

Choosing a surgeon by reading ratings and (limited) patient reviews doesn't seem to be a reliable method of picking a name from a list, so I'm hoping to get some better information from somewhere. Phoenix is 350 miles from where I live, SLC is also 350 miles, LV is about 150 miles closer to me. I don't feel I need the closest care, but if multiple visits for follow-up care will be required, it's something to consider...