Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Topic Information - TITLE!! What's your issue?

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 11/18/2014 - 4:22 AM in New Member Introductions
As almost a 2 year member here, and one that is very pro-active in posting, supporting, I have a suggestion. This was stated by Ron (Dilauro - System Administrator) in part, but maybe by a member might hit?

Posts with:

I need help!
Immediate response please?
What can I do?
I hurt !!
Opinions please.
What are your thoughts?
Please Help!
What is this?
My doctor hates me...

I like many read via "most most recent posts", and when we see these 'generic' titles IGNORE your post. Not because we don't care, but not enough information is posted to get our interest. Better would be....

My L5/S1 has stenosis, are these symptoms normal?
My thoracic has given me burning pain around my ribs....
I have a failed fusion, what are they going to do?
Are ESI's on the neck/back helpful - or didn't work?
I am scared with upcoming (cervical/thoracic/lumbar surgery)
I have bone spurs affecting nerves, what does that mean in the long run?

ALL CAPS = YELLING IN INTERNET... Don't use them!! (please)

Additionally, one LOOOONNNGGG post with no paragraphs or breaks, or better yet, NO punctuation. It is very hard to keep track on a 'run-on' post, and even more so without punctuation. Sorry, but when you tell us you are past high school age, and can't even add a period to end a sentence... well.

I'm sure some will see me as a meanie here, but I read a lot, and try to help, as I too have multiple issues and surgeries coming, but find relief in helping. Just my thoughts here, and hopes that some realize that more info is good, and the posts themselves (paragraphs, punctuation) helps us and YOU a lot. Most do not fall into this post grouping, but lately more and more are doing this. Also, the Internet short hand .... I love U, How R U... please..

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    Following what you posted what big such a HUGE lift for everyone, especially the new members who post generic and find they are not getting responses
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks for adding this. You are absolutely correct. I have posted a few posts on here with "generic titles" and wondered why I didn't get as many reply's as other posts... Well now I know why.

Thank you for the helpful info.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous day :) :) :)
  • I am guilty of run on sentences and I did take two college classes in English which was my requirement.
    I apologize sometimes my brain is faster then my fingers. :) I agree with all you said up there, I get on and search the titles for ones I think I can help. When there are 10 plz help or pain I pick the one that is more detailed. It is a learning experience here, I have learned many new things in the short time I have been on here. I think it is great that you guys are letting us know ways to get the optimal help from the sight. Thanks so much :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    Years ago when this site had only 2,000 members, the post subject title really didnt matter. Almost every one know everyone else, so they would just open up and post.

Today, with over 11,000 International members, its impossible to know everyone. Therefore, the subject title of a post is so important. Think of it as the opening of your job resume. You want to grab the attention of the person reading it, but at the same time, you dont want to use canned words.

Spine-Health oldtimers like myself use Recent Posts and scan down the subject matter. When we see something that catches our eyes, we move on it. The ones that Brenda described, honestly, we tend to move over them until there is more time to look at everything.

I know that many people look at me as being the heavy, the mean Administrator that tries to find faults with people's post then send out messages that are irritating. I know in my heart that I do what needs to get down.

I am sure Brenda can attest to this. In the beginning, Brenda and I had many dialogues. I know that some of mine were stabbing to Brenda. After a while, we saw things eye to eye and now I consider Brenda, not only one of the key members here, but a Internet friend.

To net it all out, I can not tell you how very important it is to phrase your subject line for your initial thread. That could make the difference of having 1 response vs 50 responses. As you become more familiar with this site, the other members, that subject matters can vary.

Please, my only message to everyone is that we all want to help, all the members of my team, all the members that have been here a while, even new members.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Similar to what Ron mentions lower down, if the generic title is someone we know, we might look it over, if unknown, might skip. I say that because the generic from someone we know, we have an idea what area their issues are in.

Generic too also gives the member in need a disservice as well. We post what is important to us, and some responses from a well titled thread might otherwise go unwritten by a key person that might 'have' the answer we're looking for if generic?

If you have a thread or topic that hasn't been replied to, you can still go back and edit the title. On the first post of a new thread, instead of the "edit" button being on the bottom of the post, it is on the upper right -above- your post. Your post/thread will then move to the top of the 'recent posts', and will show "updated" next to it. Glad to help. :)

• No need to apologize, we all 'learn as we go' as they say. :)

I'm on several sites, but medical support I am only on a few, most of which I just read. Here the atmosphere and people are different, so in its odd way, this is my favorite home site of family I never had. The admin staff here keep this place from being the old Wild West, and I think due to that, people are more open and caring - makes a huge difference from other sites in my eyes.

I've posted to some of your threads, and I am very glad you too have found this to be a wonderful site, and too are getting support. Welcome aboard!!!

• Ron,

"Key member", (G) Thanks very much. I think that those that don't know you Ron might see you as a 'meanie' when you have to mediate or correct a wrong on here. But...once one is on here long enough, they see in fact it isn't a meanie mode, but a way to keep this site different from others like I mentioned above. The fighting, attacks, spam etc., which is common on so many other sites, is NOT common or allowed on here. I feel that makes all the difference!

As I read the response here, another 'reason' for a detailed title came to mind - search mode. Some folks with similar issues might use the search box, but your thread might not be included as that key word does not show up for the search criteria. Just another thought there.

• Hello everyone, and thanks for being there.
    I am a seasoned veteran - 30+ years - of lower back pain, having had an L5-S1 laminectomy many years ago, and now have alot of arthritis in that area. But over the past month or so, I have developed constant burning and very strong stabbing type pain in the mid thoracic area that gets worse when I move into various positions, or walk. My doctor took x-rays that just show "wear and tear". Sent me home with prednisone, mobic and skelaxin. None of these have helped. When I first started with the pain, I was also recommended to see a chiropractor, which I did, and I have been in treatment a month with him too, and have seen no improvement. Which test would be more appropriate - an MRI or CT scan - to show if there is something the xrays did not show?

Thanks for any help.

Ladi Di
  • Mri i think shows a lot more then exray. Then ct scan also or the best they say is the mylogram which is usualy only ordered after all the other tests have been done such as mri, ct and such. But if the mri shows the problem then mylogram is not always needed. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • My first post. I am from Latin America(Brazil) and couldn´t find any forum in portuguese, so i joined this. I Have upper back pain.

Lot´s of people in pain here. Wish everybody in every place get well.
  • I apologize for the run ons but sometimes i am in so much pain I just try to get it on her so I can lay down and I apologize for that. I do what I can.
  • Im new to this forum and just getting started here,I look forward to talking to you all about your horrible pain
  • Current Medical Condition -
    Primary: Ruptured L4 L5 disk, Osteoarthritis, Degenerative Disk Disease and Fibromyalgia...........Secondary: stenosis of the lower spine, several bulging disks in the T region, L5 nerve root compression, scoliosis, depression, constant pain and under active thryroid.

Diagnostic Tests: Multiple MRI's and blood work

Results of the above tests: see the above

Medications: Fentanyl patches 75mcg/hr--one every 72hrs, Hydrocodone 10/325 2 every 4hrs, Savella 100mg 2x's a day, Cyclobenzaprine 10mg, 2pills in a.m. and p.m., Amtryptiline(?) 10mg bedtime.

How long: the past 5 yrs...gradual decline initially. Decreasing mobility and pain tolerance.

Doctors: PCP, Neurosurgeon

It is finally to the point where I have begun my search for answers. I know surgery (probable multiple per both drs) is awaiting me. My mobility has greatly been reduced just in the last 6 mths. My ability to function and cope with the pain is also decreasing, interfering with my daily ability to function. A friend directed me here and raved about the people and knowledge available. I look forward to making friends that understand what I am going through. Thank you!
  • Ok, so I got so excited to maybe get some advice I went ahead and posted my post without reading this, so it has a very generic title (Help! Running out of options) I cannot figure out how to edit it to change the title, but am asking the members to have mercy on me and read it anyway (is in the upper thoracic pain forum).

Looking forward to finding some understanding, support, and hopefully also giving some in return as much as possible. Thanks for your time, it is very much appreciated.
  • go to hospital is a wisdom choice for you I think , good luck to you !
  • Hi, I am Max jhon, just getting started to this forum. looking forward for supportive information. Hope so will be a part of qualitative talks.
  • I read all new posts no matter what the title is.
    Lack of punctuation or run on sentences do not bother me.

This is a forum to make posts about our back/neck issues, not to worry about the grammar police
  • I think if you started a new post and your medical info under the right catagory you might get more info back, This is last years post,

I think it keeps coming back up as recent post when spammers hit this site and brings these old post back up,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • :H I have been diagnosed with Arachnoiditis by a neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins. I had a botched epidural for child birth and my spine was damaged. This injury of the spine is incurable with intractable horrific pain. I am now in a wheelchair. I believe that many people who are diagnosed as having fibromyalgia, actually have Arachnoiditis. You must have an MRI to diagnose Arach. I had a flexion/extension MRI which allowed the neurosurgeon to see the clumped nerves in my spine. He told me that the only thing that might help me is a spinal cord stimulator implant. After researching this, I have chosen not to have that.

I am going to a neurologist next week at Hopkins who has treated Arachnoiditis patients. I will have a full EMG to see the extent of my nerve damage. Hopefully, he will be able to prescribe better pain management meds for me.

My story, along with others, is on a UK website. I live in the US and we are working on our US site right now. Here is my story on the UK site:

URL removed due to solicitation of funds donation
    Spine Health Moderator Team
  • I'm sure as my time here increases I'll probably be one who reads all posts. It wasn't that long ago I was in such pain I couldn't remember what was just said. I couldn't focus but for a few seconds at a time. It's all about the grieving process whether short or long term.

I'm also sure that Ron isn't trying to be a meanie at all. It is understandable that it is difficult with the vast numbers of members and posters.

As a newcomer, I look forward to reading all of the information with regards to posting.
  • i am feeling very guilty for not reading all the q&a and instructions before i posted, luckily my posts were responded to for which i am very grateful, i was in such a panic after being told i am in for a vertebrectomy c6 rather than the 3 level discectomy i was expecting that i was in panic, i simply wanted contact with someone who could empathise. i have now a better understanding of the workings of the site, and have got some really useful tips for my upcoming op. thank you, and i apologise.
  • To everyone who posted in this thread needing info, support etc I would recommend you go and start your own thread, as your posts are off topic here and I am sure you will get better responses in your own thread :)

Back to the topic, my biggest pee peeve if you will is when the posts go on and on and on with no paragraphs breaks - very hard on my eyes :(
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • :S hi Im a newie here trying to get some info on a BIG surgery my past one were only two levels that didnt work.
  • post edited by Tam, spam
  • post edited by Tam, spam
  • Need positive feedback, please
    Will be having Cervical Laminectomy with Fusion from C2-T1, on June 25th. My Orthopedic Surgeon is one of the best in the country and my surgery will be at a fine hospital that has a wonderful reputation for treating trauma injuries.
    There is so much negativity on this site and although I have been told that without the surgery I can expect to have increased problems with balance, fine motor skills and walking. I really need some positive feedback. HELP
    Cervical Laminectomy and fusion C2 to T1 June 2012, Anterior Hip Replacement November 2012, Laminectomy, Discectomy Foriminotomy, L3 to L5, February 2014, evacuation of Hematoma April 2014.
    Cervical Myopathy, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, osteoarthritis
  • Just make sure that you really need this surgery. You should be told that once you get a surgery on your spine, you will have others. Then you may be diagnosed with what they call "Failed Back Surgery Syndrome" and then you'll be on pain killers for the rest of your life. Or you may get Adhesive Arachnoiditis like I have. My husband has to wheel me to my doctor's appointment. If you need this surgery to keep you from being paralyzed - that's one thing. But if not and you can live with the pain you are experiencing, you'd be better off to NOT go under the knife.
  • I've noticed from your tone in other posts that you appear to be a very angry person. Can surgery have terrible outcomes? Absolutely. I also have Adhesive Arachnoiditis, but mine was contracted because I avoided having surgery for 5 years. Originally my AA was just stage 1 and truth be told I didn't even know I had it. My symptoms were very minor and mostly a nuisance. I never reported all of my symptoms to my doctor because I didn't realize they were related to my back. Hindsight is 20/20. Had I not had the surgery to stabilize my back, I'd have horrendous back pain along with my AA. Sometimes you just have no choice but to roll the dice and take a chance. There are thousands of spinal surgeries done every year. A small percentage develop complications afterwards.

My Harley Girl, no one really knows what your outcome will be. With a surgery that big, I would assume you're in for a long and hard recovery road. The only question you should ask yourself is can you maintain the status quo and live the rest of your life with your current problems (you will probably get worse over time)? The surgery could leave you better, the same, or worse.

I wish you all the best.

• I am so NOT an angry person. I am a Christian who is absolutely in love with my Savior Jesus Christ. I am trying to warn people about surgeries and epidural injections, so they do not wind up like me. I am nearly paralyzed and on strong pain killers for the rest of my life. Instead of spending our Golden years together doing fun stuff, my hubby has become my caregiver. Adhesive Arachnoiditis is incurable and causes incredible pain. I won't write anymore, but trust me, I am not an angry lady.