Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

intrathecial pain pump trial

backpainzzbbackpainzz Posts: 116
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Chronic Pain
:) Well no one posted to my last post about scs and pain pumps,maybe no one else has been through this. To be honest I was scared to death the scs trial was sorta painful, the permantant one trying to go through scar tissue really HURT, I swear, as he tried to insert the lead in my lower spine, I could feel the hair on the back of my head being pulled, (not really it just felt that way. I also had the PNS (perifrial nerve stimulation) thank heavens my insurance covered this, b/c its still sorta trial. durring the trail he had to move it up closer to the skin 3 times to get where it didnt cause discomfort. at my 2 week checkup, the med rep had my legs and back all comunicating to work to gather. Something still wasnt right I could feel it in my bladder and intestines, so I was refered to a new neuro surgeon, The med rep theremade them work seperatly, but I still had back pain, I had a revision of the pns, This time he was DIrectly on top of the L4 disc Id ruptured and had the lamnectommy on 10 years ago. With the stem on it covered about a 3 inch circle around L4, but evan with it very low, I could only stand it to be on for a small amount of time befor it started to irritate me more than help, SOOOOO, HE sent me to a new PM/neurologist, we talked about my options of using and trying differant oral meds and ex meds, he put me on the lowest dose of methadone.05 2x day, the day befor I was to see him again I took one at 6pm the night before and my 2 hydros at 6am and my ap was at 11;00 am I could barly function, he said well you just cant handle oral meds, So he set me up for the Intrathecial pain pump, and we did it under floroscopy so he would hit any leads, I'd always heard a spinal tap was ungodly, so I was scared to death (Oh this is gonna hurt like..., on the table cleansed draped asked how I was doing (scared sh..less) he said NO pain, if I fell anything he stop, I barly felt a little down my rt leg he stopped and put more lydocain, then trying to get into the intrathecial space the needle kept bending, because of my anatomy, each person about every few minutes would ask how I was doing if I was ok, he said sorry sweatheart but I need to go up higher I just cant get in the space, of course no pain, then he finaly got into the intrathecial space, and had to barly twist the needle to get the spinal fluid to come out, it sprayed out and he put i strial sayline, then hydromophone, put a bandaid on it, FYI I didnt have an IV or any versaid or I was fully awake, and on a scale of 1 to 10 for painful, maybe 1, I had to stay around the hospital for 3 hours to see him to see how I was handling it, and I asked the nurse (My head feels like its higher than a kite, and I cant walk straight, she laughed and she said thats b/c your HIGH, Sorry guys Ive never been High before, so I get the permant pain pump on 8-29-11 I cant wait. and sorry this was so long, I hop I didnt bore you with all the details. Backpainzz Rose
advertisement

Comments

• Hi. You are describing them puting the pain pump in for a trial correct? How did the trial go once it was put in and you got home? I had the trial also but ended up with spinal fluid leak once i got home.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • The total procedure for the trial only lastd maybe 1/2 hr. It would have been shorter but the needle kept bending beccause of my spinal bones, so he had to go up maybe 3inches higher on my spine. First he used lydocain waited then deeper more lydocain,then deeper, more lydocain, he said we dont want any pain, I told him I felt alittle something down my left leg and sorry rt leg. onece he got the upper area numbed. (this was under floroscopy, so he could see my SCS leads, he didnt want to accidently hit them, He got the needle into the intrathecial space, everyone kept asking Doing ok Rose? absolutly the sweetest and most caring I've experianced with any problems I encouontered with my spine. HE twisted the eneedle la little and out squrted the spinal fluid, YAH, he then put in a little steril salline to flush the needle, and put in the hydromophone, pulled out the needle, and asked if I was doing ok and said to stay around the hospital just incase I should need himBack to my room changed into my street clothes and went down to the cafateria to eat breakfast, then waited until 11:00 am to see him. we talked and I told his nurse I felt like my head was high as a kite and couldnt walk straight, she said "your high" Dumb me Id never been high before, Im proud to say! I asked when I stopped the hydro and he said as soon as the pump goes in and is workingI asked about withdraw he said ther wouldnt be any, and I askd a silly question do you place the needle directly over the L4 and it only covers its pain? NO it travels all up and down the intrathecial space and brain, so it would cover our whole spine. I'd read where it only helps with one area...WRONG, I was very fortunate not to have a spinal headache, I didnt need any hydro until 3 pm the next day, BUT did I ITCH, I dont like morphine. So there isnt a pump in me or anything else, just the 4 hour test I just decribed to you. ( from the injection of hydromophone to his office visit 7am to 11 am. Im scheduled for the permant one on 8/29, at eh hospital at 5 am surgery 7am home in the afternoon, back in 1 and 1/2 weeks. Im excited, and Im keeping my SCS and also asked for the PTM or PMT, so if neeeded you can give yourself a bolus incase you over do. Sorry so long I hope I answered you qustions, If not, Ill try again if you repost or pm me. Thanks for asking :D backpainzz Rose
  • Excellent news for you =D> .
    I wish I could get a pain pump or a scs but ny PM says not yet.
    Keep us posted.
    Julie
  • Ok i think i understand. Where are you from? Half hour trial is very short. 6 day trial is normal where i live. Once it was set up in the hospital they should let you go home and use it for few days that way you get a beter trial usualy. As i said mine would of probably worked if it was not for the spine leak for the whole trial period.

They can use the other drug deuladin instead of the morphine to avoid the itch. Good luck on the surgery. Hope it helps you,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I have heard of this I think. Do you feel high all the time with it? Thats would be a rough way to go through life if you needed it forever. It would be very addicting to , right? SPF leaks are the worse I had that after my first surgery, massive headache and lay flat they kept yelling at me as I was sitting up to vomit. When I apologized I was told doesn't matter to me your the one who gets the headache, compassionate nurses huh lol .... If anyone can give me information on the pump that would be great...
    :)
    Sheryl
  • Pump should not make you feel high. You actualy get less medicarion in the pump in to your spinal fluid then you would take oraly. Pump is something to consider very last when all fails and oral meds no longer work for a person. Everything has its complications and risk. So nothing is as simple as it sounds. Only once life of pain is so bad that quality of life is no more is when pump comes in to the picture to consider.
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thankyou Alex hurting,julie,and Sheryl. I ruptured L4 10 years ago and had a lamnectomy, but still pain down my left leg. Ive had many steroid (epidurals),which being type 2 diabetic it raised my bloodsugar to 500, so thats why steroids arent good for me. facet blocks, selective nerve injections, been on hydrocodone from 1 pill 4x a day to the past 2 years 2 pills 4x aday, plus I use an ice pac 24/7, I also have to set bent over ..as to tye my shoes to help relieve the pain. Ive tried many narcotics, but my insurance will only cover the hydro . then I found a new pm the first words out of his mouth were (SCS) this was mentioned to me a year after my lamnectomy, but I chose not to at that time. Being awake was painfull, but the relief it gives me for my legs IS WONDERFUL, he aslo put in a pns over the l4, which didnt help as wekk as it did durring the trial,so I had a revision of the pns. this neurosurgeon said he did pumps but it would e more cosst effective for me to have only 1 doctor that would put it in and also manage it. I love this guy so compassionett and carring, and takes all the time you need to answer questions ,he said we needed to try other narcotics or opiats before jumping into the pain pump, he gave me the loest dose of methadone 5mg, and it knowcke me on my rear for 2 days. I took it upon myself to use only the methadone for 1 day and no hydro with it, then the night before I was to see him, I took 1 methadone at 6pm then at 6am 2 hydros 10/325 and saw him at 11:00 that day, I was so lethargic I could barly speak and was slow on the go, he said well obviously you cant handle opiates very well. And my insurance will only cover hydro, I did try a fentenal patch, but I didnt feel any change. My insurance got the leter of approval on the day I was to have the surgery, but they had to take me off the schedule since they hadnt heard from them yet, SOOO my surgery is set for next monday 9/19 at 9:00 am...maybe I should bey a lottery ticket all 9's. Im keeping my scs and pns, he said neither would interfere with the other. Im so excited, when I had the trial, and NO pain at all, it was like 20 years ago, Im so excited, please keep me in your thoughts, and Ill post after its in. Rose backpainzz
  • The amount of hydromophone he put in made me high, I dont have the pump yet. and Im from Indiana, I know someone asked, but im at work and I cant read through all the post to find who asked. Have a great day, evan though its hard living with Chronic pain. Rose Backpainzz
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.