Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just returned from microdiscectomy

Heather4ECUHHeather4ECU Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just had surgery this morning, a microdiscectomy on L5 S1. I walked into the surgical center half stooped over, leaning to the left, using a cane because I couldnt put weight on my right leg, was in excruciating pain etc. I walked out standing up straight, without nerve pain and with minimal pain at incision site (granted still very doped up on pain meds). I am sure the pain will get worse as I start to heal but so far, I just have to say it was incredibly worth it. I first herniated my disc in
April, did 3 months of physical therapy and two epidural injections, reherniated the disc on August 3rd and gave in to surgery. So glad I did! I am only 29, have an 11 mo old son and need to be able to live life! I am posting this in case others are preparing for surgery and to give some hope.
(I also used a neurosurgeon)

• i personally always like to see others who succeed in their goals. i also have a little one on the way and am hoping just like yourself to be able to play with him with no pain. i hope you stay pain free! kudos to you for picking a good neurosurgeon!
  • Welcome to the other side! Glad that you are feeling so good the day of surgery.

You sound very positive and this will help you dramatically during your recovery. Sure you are bound to have some ups and downs, hang in there. Try to stay ahead of the pain by taking your pain meds on time.

Be very careful of BLT. I know you have a little boy, but please don't pick him up, have someone hold him, and you can give him kisses, hugs and chats while they hold him.

Try to walk small distances with breaks in between, building up from there.

Sending you positive healing vibes your way!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • thanks for your responses. Lifeasweknotit, I don't know how you are coping with pregnancy and herniated discs. How terrible your pain must be!

thank you Karen for the kind words. I am very indpendent and I have had to put that aside and allow others to help. I haven't been able to lift my son for 2 weeks now due to the pain so at least that will be nothing new. He is staying the night with my mother. That has been the hardest part of all, feeling a little depressed over the change in our relationship. I try to find things I can still do with him, read stories at night, lie beside him as he has his bottles, feed him his dinners etc but he is so active and at the stage where he loves to play, so I hate I can't do that with him but if I stay patient, I will be able to one day :)
  • Wonderful!! Just don't get too excited.. you have a lot of healing to do. Don't over do it!! :)
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Pleased to hear you are doing well. Always nice to hear a positive story!

• So happy that you're feeling well so soon. To be able to stand up straight again is such a good feeling !

Keep being patient with your recovery and being careful not to overdo things because there's a lot of healing to take place.

Hope the rest of your recovery goes as well as it has so far.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Yes, PLEASE be careful not to overdo it. I definitely overdid it and insisted I was fine to lift my 20-lb daughter, and now one of my other herniated discs that I didn't have operated on is acting up, and I may need to have surgery for that. So really listen to your doctor's restrictions.

Welcome to the other side! Glad to hear you are feeling well so far. Hopefully it stays that way.