Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having trouble walking, ataxia? Other issues please give advice

candrews922ccandrews922 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have advanced ddd, probably starting when I was 14, I am now 51. Also multiple cervical ostephytes and foraminal stenosis on left and right at C3-C7. Been in chiropractic care since a teenager also, at all 3 levels for subluxation. Forward to present. My MRI's at my lumbar level listed me as having moderately severe spinal canal stenosis at L4-L5, my disc is all but gone. Bilateral foraminal stenosis, recess stenosis, hypertrophy of joints, and ligamentous infolding. I see a neurosurgeon on sept 2nd, a neurologist on the 20th of August for an emg. He also has known me for over 10 years. My main newer symptom is I can't walk as far as I used to before my legs get ataxia. Loss of coordination, gait funny, feeling heavy almost off balance. I can't walk uphill either. This is where it confuses me, stenosis is supposed to be better uphill. My legs feel like they wont even move uphill, like I am moving them from the hip. I have some pain in the back of the legs and buttocks. I also get this weird sensation right to the sides of where my herniation is collapsed. Like a quivering and my trunk muscles are shakey, thighs. Lots of twitching in my muscles, cramping. I get nervous about the Cauda equina syndrome thing, and the walking difficulty is driving me crazy. Sound familiar to anyone? Did you end up having surgery? Did you end up with any left over nerve damage or walking difficutly. I am scared, nervous, anxious and it is affecting my blood pressure. Not to mention, my pain control has been a joke, but will need to be taken over by someone. Please advice if you read anything familiar. Would really appreciate it. My lumbar disc herniated from advanced ddd and collapsed back in 2006. So the area had developed compression all over from surrounding tissues taking on the weight distribution. My L5-S1 is bulging and has an annular fissure but isn't really compressing at that level.