Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PT says I am doing most things wrong

justceliajjustcelia Posts: 84
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My Home PT came over for the first time today (8 days post-op) and had me walk, sit, lay in bed and get out of bed.

I am not conscious enough about all of my movements. When walking and I turn toward someone beside or behind me, I am twisting instead of using my feet to turn my whole body.

I am taking too big of steps and not staying "straight", knees, belly-button and nose in line at all times.

I have to do the log-roll getting in and out of bed. I have been "snapping-up" and twisting my torso too much. Also getting in and out of bed too fast.

I just have to SLOW DOWN and do everything in a more conscious way and take into consideration where all my body parts are.

I have been laying in bed at a 45 degree angle, propped up with pillows. PT said only to sit at a 90 degree angle or lay as flat as possible.

He was also concerned that he was not sent out to me sooner. I thought 8 days was early but not if I spent the first 6 days home doing everything the wrong way!

He also said to use my walker inside our home. I figured I had plenty of "stuff" to hold onto but in doing so I was twisting a bit and using the walker will eliminate that.

I am to avoid getting constipated (eat more stuff with fiber), don't talk loud or yell (abdominal strain) and the same with coughing and sneezing (not much I can do to stop that!)

I was so glad to have him come over. He will be back on Friday. So I guess the nurse and PT guy will be coming over 2x a week for now.

Boy! I am so glad to have found this forum! Hope you all are healing well or calm about upcoming surgeries! :)

Celia
Celia,
ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!
advertisement

Comments

• You've got a good attitude. You'd think they would take a little more time with us before sending us home to make sure we know how they want us to move instead of expecting us to figure it out. I found the home PT helpful. Take it easy!
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I was not happy with the instruction I got before leaving the hospital. The little bit of instruction I did get was while I was loopy on Delaudid! As if I would retain anything from that day!

I really was glad to learn what I did from my home PT. I am so glad I wasn't just "pushed out" with no more coaching. And he explains WHY I need to do things a certian way. I was NOT prepared to be at home, no matter how much help I had from my boyfriend.

I can't wait to see my surgeon on the 24th. I am really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't a train this time! :)

Celia
    Celia,
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!
  • HI,
    Am glad you learned how to move, as it's very important both now and for the future. Hope you continue to do well and feel better soon!
    Frannie
  • Thanks for the comment.It kinda hurts more to have correct posture! :|

I am doing the best I can but now that I have "slowed down" my movements, I realise how often I twist without thinking. How long doest it hurt MORE before getting better? :< :<

None of my furniture seems to be comfortable. I should have listened to my mom when she told me to "sit up straight".

Hope everyone is doing great!

Celia
    Celia,
  • HI,
    Yeah, my furniture doesn't always do the job either...but you know what I just love? Is one of those reclining outdoor lawn chairs...I got 2 from Cabela's (can I say that ?) and use one in the living room now and then....changes in position are great, you can lock it in so it doesn't move, and you have neck support as it's a highback..even has a cup holder!
    Anyway, glad you slowed down to realize the positioning ...feel better soon!!
    Frannie
  • I was told by my PT not to "recline". he wants me sitting at 90 degrees of lying prone (with pillows under my knees tho).

I thought about renting a recliner before he told me that. I do NOT like sitting up straight!!!

I think Mom put him up to saying that. I do like the idea of using a lawn chair tho. Very smart!

Celia
    Celia,
advertisement