Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having ADR surgery two weeks,any advice?

Lynn8LLynn8 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm new to this site
Having artificial disc surgery in two weeks,very nervous about it. Wondering if anyone has any advice about having this surgery?After hearing the possible complication which my surgeon had to explain I'm really letting my brain run away from me. Any advice on what to expect would be great.
Im 43 have been suffering in chronic pain for 11years.I do not have never taken more than advil for pain. I some how injured myself as a child and did not know it as I was a gymnast and fell allot. many years later after having an emergency c-cection I came out of the hospital with a blown L-5 s-1, I was never the same. After almost 11years later and dealing w/ chronic pain over night my left leg went dead w/ sever pain in my back and leg. Since this happened, I can no longer stand or walk for more than 5 minutes.I had endoscopic surgery last Nov to repair nerve damage but still can not stand or walk,pain is severe. I will be having surgery SEP1st with an artificial disc. I have had a discogram which showed the disc to be as they (doctors) said " shredded". Any advice on this surgery??

• Hi Lynn8. What type of surgery did they do to repair nerve damage and where was the nerve damaged? Also whats the name of the artificial disc they are using on you? I had artificial disc put in in 2004 but they damaged a nerve so ended up being fused years later.

Some do well with the artificial disc i was just not 1 of them. I wish you the best of luck. Recovery is actualy faster with the arificial disc then fusion as long as everything goes as planed.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. this is a great site to find answers to your questions about your surgery.. be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery forum" for more input.. they will have lots of info as far as some of the things you will be needing after surgery and things like that.. i want to wish you the very best on your surgery.. be sure and follow the doctor's orders to the letter.. that is so very important!!! this is your chance to have an excellent recovery.. be sure and stop by the forum during your recovery.. it can make a long day go by alot faster.. good luck!! Jenny
  • =D>
    Thanks for the comments, it really helps hearing from people who have been through this.I feel very bad for anyone who suffers with this problem,thanks for the advice!!
    last year November I had endoscopic lumbar surgery to remove the herniation and repair the impinged nerve. My neurosurgeon was trying to do the more conservative surgery before a fusion or artificial disc. The surgery help my leg allot,although it takes a long time to fully repair. I was getting drop foot and basically dragging my left leg. although that surgery help allot we found out later I have discogenic pain. That surgery really aggravated the painful disc and it has been much worse. Even though I have been in chronic pain for over 10 years,this past year has been a really been hard. I truly can not stand straight for more than 5-10 minutes and I cannot walk for more than 10 minutes. I have worked out my whole life and now I can only sit and watch the world go by. With three little kids I have to get this better!! My neurosurgeon said I would be a great candidate for the disc,I'm in the freedom vrs pro-disc L study.I have no clue which disc I will be receiving?? Im pretty scared about the surgery it self. have you heard anything about either disc
  • I think many had good results with the pro disc. Not sure i have heard of the other 1. Keep us posted on the outcome of your surgery. I was also enroled in a trial back in 2004 where i did. Not know if i was coming out of surgery fused or with artificial disc. I ended up with the artifical disc in my l4 l5. Sadly nerve pain started right away after surgery. I think my artificial disc was only in 2 siizes and it was too large and they over stretch the nerves to put it in. It was a mistake but from what i know the pro disc has many sizes to have beter fitings and dont have the same issues. Wish you the best of luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • i was turned down for ADR and now waiting for ALIF surgey {28 dec} good luck and make sure you follow the after care to the letter
    tony UK
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • :H
    Again ,thanks so much for the advice,helps so much!
    The new freedom disc is a third generation disc,you are right the first generations did not not have many size's. I had to have specific x-rays to get a size for the prosthetic disc. the new freedom disc also comes in many size's and it's actually one piece. From what I have been told it has more shock absorbers than any other disc so far? As I said I have no clue which one I will get? I will be sure to let you all know which one I get and how it works out. As I have mentioned ,it's the actual surgery that Im terrified about. I was told about the main arteries that must be avoided during surgery and I'm terrified about it! Trying to be brave,will use all the great advice I have received!!!!
  • you are right your auteur and the main vain {can't remember its name } are exposed during surgery .on one hand they can be inspected but on the other hand they can be damaged .a good consultant will take good care .ADR is comparatively new and the new 3third generation are very new .my consultant still uses the pro disk L and C for his operations .they cost around 5 thousand pound each .if your ADR operation goes well you should have no problems for at least ten years .after that you will probably need a fusion .as removing the ADRs is no fun and almost impossible .all spinal surgey is risky and when you get to the stage that we are at its about as big as it gets .its like some one saying they have flu when they have a cold .we have flu ! not a cold {theres back ache and then there's our back ache!}
    good luck
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • :''(
    Thanks Tony for the info!
    Sorry u have suffered so much!
    I was hoping for longer than 10yrs but as u say at this point I can't live w/the flu any more! my pain is so bad I sometimes start to throw up. I was avoiding the fusion because they told me by 10yrs I would need another,I guess either way I will b going back in?? Well as I have mentioned before I will be sure to let everyone know how this surgery goes.
    Also I do have a very skilled vascular surgeon doing my surgery,I guess that I should not worry so much?????