Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

doctors can be so frustrating!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Chronic Pain
So, I was pretty happy that my doc agreed to help me out with pain meds after I dumped the bottle by accident (post from several days ago). However... She only gave me enough to last 10 days. I called yesterday and asked for enough to last till my appt., next Wednesday since today was the last of them. The nurse calls and say o.k. she filled them but - BUT, even after you see her wednesday, she will give you your prescription but it will be post dated for the following monday. I asked why? Well she said, the doctor said you have been coming in early to go camping and things and she can't have that. I said oh, o.k. Then afterward I got thinking about that - I never came in early for camping. I had called to ask about switichin to something else because I was in terrible pain and late for work every morning, and she had me come in and we had a discussion and we tried the butrans patches. Those didn't work, so then I went back a few days later and she put me on the roxicodone which worked well. Somehow she must have got me having an issue and wanting to try something different confused with me coming in early or something - which I never did, Wednesday is my normal day of the month to see her. I did go in two or three times to try other options. I left them a message this morning explaining all that and that perhaps she had gotten me confused with someone else? Either way, Wednesday is when I should be getting my meds filled for the month and it is the last day I will have meds to take based on what she gave me today. It just feels like a constant battle, like your constantly dis-believed or she thinks I'm doing something wrong. YES, losing my stuff down the drain was stupid but I have never done anything like that before. I been with her damn near 6 years now so you would think she should know me at least somewhat wouldn't you? We have had numerous discussions about a variety of things both medical and personal - so I just don't understand this constant "catch all" attitude. It's getting old. I told her I sincerely appreciate everything she does for me and how much she has helped my pain, but for hell sakes - I just think now I'm sorry I even asked to try something different that helped because it just caused a big issue and I could tell by the way the nurse talked that they were all annoyed with me. JC, this is just crap. Maybe I'll just have to visit the corner drug dealer rather than beg, plead, and borrow and write out a frickin reconstructed timeline for her. UGH...
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    I seen my pain mgt doctor monthly (as long as I am still on narcotics).
    I keep a detailed day by day description of what pills I take, when they were last filled, how many days based on the dosage should they last.

My doctor also keeps a log.

In 6 years now, we have never had a miscue. When I ask for a new script, she basically has it already written out for me. And there been times when I have some rougher periods, she will decrease the hours for the PRN so essentially, it would be a shorter time to fill the next script.

This has always worked out without a hitch. We have 100% confidence and trust in each other.

That to me is what is so very important between patient and doctor.

Its not always easy getting there, but it is worth the investment.

Who can be harder than doctors is pharmacist. Because even when a doctor writes a new script for a refill, the pharmacist checks with your insurance carrier to determine if and when the script will be filled.

I think when all parties are totally aware of each other, trust each other, etc, frustrations should be almost non-existent.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sorry your having troubles Mouse. There may not be as big as a problem when you get into your appt. It sounds like there is some confusion. I don't know about you, but I have had some pretty bad mis-understandings with my NS nurse in the past. To the point I was ready to kick some butt.... Then when I showed up for the next appt there was literally no problems (nurse was just over stepping her bounds). I am sure you will get this resolved into an acceptable solution. Hang in there :)

Ron that is an excellent idea. I have some leeway with my meds & dosage and I have been using a phone app for a reminder but I found a pdf yesterday that I can use to keep track (I like that better since some times I cant take my med on the exact schedule do to unforseen circumstances).

I am going to try and start a real pain & medication journal other than the little notes I jot down on the calendar. It may help me feel like I have some control over this living h3ll that I have found myself in.

Julie

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    It is probably right..it is worth the effort to keep the communication with the doc as smooth as possible. Definately worth it.
    But I do know it's difficult often times for me. Sometimes thinking I would like to try a muscle relaxant..or ask about the meds..my doc gets all defensive and dismissive.
    He seems to need reassurance that I'm not double checking..or doubting.. his treatments.
    The daily pain..the dependance on docs for meds.. it seems another burden for this doc/pt relationship.
    Considering there is no option...the dance continues.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Sorry to hear about the mixup...I do agree with Ron about writing everything down..

Like where you just mentioned about when you tried the Butrans patch...and then switched to Roxicodone...The day the medicine went down the drain..and have ALL your phone records when you contacted them..

Then..when you see your Dr. on Wednesday..Just calmly and politely say that "there must be a bit of a misunderstanding as when I talked to the nurse on 8/17...She mentioned something about filling early for 'camping'...and that has never happened.."..

Do NOT diss or say anything negative about the nurses...Just use the word misunderstanding...And then go over the notes that you have that should match up with what your Dr. has..

This should be easily solved...

I personally would NOT call them back and try to do this over the phone...but I realize you already left them a msg...You don't need to solve this now...Just talk to your Dr. on Wed.

I absolutely adore my DR.....but they do have a very busy staff and the Nurses and NP's are the one's on the 'front lines' over the phones and the prescriptions so they can make mistakes every so often...I just end up speaking with my Dr. when I see him...

Also...ask if perhaps your Dr. has a direct email that you can use for any type of issues that you need to discuss directly in between appts.

The whole point is to not get upset...do not get the nurses against you...that would not be good...I think it should be easy to fix since as you said..you've been there for 6 years...

So go back a bit and write some things down..as well as from now on write every single detail down about your medication..As well as every single phone call/person you speak to/ time you call.Even take that notepad and write down what is said at your Dr. appts...In case of in the future change of medication or dosage...You will have it confirmed...

Good luck!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.