Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My 1st ESI 4 months after micro discectomy

velcrozvvelcroz Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Spinal Injections
HI,

I'm getting my first ESI tomorrow and I'm a little nervous. I have heard good things and bad things.

I had my 2nd micro discectomy on 5/4/2011, L5S1 hernaited disc. Everything went fine I guess it just takes longer to heal because 2nd surg, more scar tissue damage..etc. I no longer have any pain down my left leg, the only pain I feel is where the incision is. The maximum time I can sit on good days is 30 min, driving is still limited basically point A to point B. Cancelled two vacations this summer and anything else that requires sitting.

When I first went to pain management on Aug 1, they switch me from Norco 10/325 to Percocet 5/325. They gave me 90 pills and I got relief but I had to take 2/3 pills at one time for the pain to go away. Of course I called last week to tell them how many I was taking and to see if I could switch back, they said to wait until my appt on 8/19, when I did run out on 8/16 I went in there to see if I could get switched back to Norco or get another refill. Yes, I did the math...The most I took on one day was 6/7 and that was only because I'm pretty sure I was exercising way too much..walking, biking and swimming. While the nurse was talking to me I just got the feeling like I was being treated like an addict... He said that the dr's were gone for the day and that he would have to review it with them the next morning. I said fine, did not want to cause any problems. I'm not one to cause a scene. The next day the nurse called back and said they have to wait until I come in there on 8/19...ok so what am I supposed to do until then...of course I felt like I was treated like an addict again and was told that my meds will be discussed then. Ok, so I have prepared my self for the next two days not to do any excersing or anything of that nature.

I'm 41, married, mom of two teenagers, work 40 hours/week and my husband works 3rd shift. I have faithly completed
physical therapy and exercise on a daily basis.

I know that when I walk in the dr's office tomorrow I will be calm cool and collective....what else can I do?

I have no idea how they will react tomorrow all I know is that I am hoping the ESI works.

Does anyone have any suggestions ideas? Help.....

Kelly G.
advertisement

Comments

• my personal experience tells me that the doctors are only trying to protect you and themselves, but if you take more than prescribed daily to you then there's not much they can do but treat you that way. that's only how i see it. but if after a couple days you take whats prescribed, and it doesn't work that's when you should make a follow up. because of my age, doctors are super cautious of what they prescribe me. just be up front and honest about your pain. i read in another thread of an idea i thought worked great. keeping a pain journal on what i take and what pain i feel at certain times. i started that journal yesterday. just my two cents
  • lifeasweknowit652...

Thanks for the advice, I have kept a "pain" journal that actually does help. I know the dr's are stingy and I totally understand where they are coming from, I sometimes wish they knew what we were going thru. Every day I have to think about my back, what I can do and what I can't do, everything revolves around it.

One good thing is that about 3 months after my surgery my pt said I could get on my peddle bike but not over do it. I finally got up the courage and was very cautious. When I got on my bike I had this huge grin on my face...I did it!!!