Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questons about SI Joint dysfunction....

wildfire_101wwildfire_101 Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just have a few questions about the SI joint. what are some of the symptoms of si joint dysfunction? I did some researching online about this but would like to hear some things about it from "real" people who have had problems with it or know something about it..have had some unexplained pain in my lower lumbar right side of my back, right butt cheek and thigh as well, also hurts when i walk...

Went to physical therapy 2 days ago and he looked at it b/c i was in so much pain i couldn't do anything that day other than lie there. but he did a "survey' as he calls it, and had mentioned that maybe that joint could be inflamed or even possibly could be a slight pinched nerve. Like he said though he isn't a doctor and was just throwing some ideas out there that i could at least discuss with my doctor..

I was already waiting for a phone call back from the doctor's office b/c i couldn't take the pain anymore, so i had given them a call to see if there was anything he could do for me or even see me to check it out, especially being my next appt wasn't until Nov.29th..His PA called back this morning and pretty much said i don't know what is wrong with me and just keep taking the pain killers and valium for the pain...and if the pain persists to call back and then hopefully he would get me in to be seen.

I had thought about calling my PM doctor to see if he could get me in to be seen and check it out but hadn't done that yet...so my questions are like i had asked/said earlier what are the symptoms and treatments for it? Also how would you even know if that was your problem? I just know that it constantly hurts in the areas that i described and it has been going on for the last few months.. I just want to try and figure what is causing my pain.. I am not trying to diagnose myself, just getting some ideas together to at least be able to discuss with the doctor..

So if anyone can tell me anything about this i would greatly appreciate it. after my PT said that, that could possibly be it, figured I'd ask on here and find out what i can/could about it..thanks for any info....

• I`ve had bilateral nerve blocks in the SI joints in the back and butt and in the hip and the nerve blocks seemed to help for a few weeks.

I just had Massage Therapy and she concentrated on lower back and SI area and hip and also getting inferential treatment now from a Chiropractor but not getting any adjustments and I`m getting relief.

I can`t think of anything else that would help but my PM Dr. gave me the nerve blocks since she grabbed my hip and it brought on lots of pain and she did blocks as well as facet joint and epidural last year. I don`t want any more injections since they don`t work long for me. I hope your PM Dr. could help you. Thinking of you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you for your thoughts, i do appreciate it..though nerve blocks never worked for me when they did them for my RSD and i had 4 all together...granted i know that an SI joint problem is something different, so maybe the blocks for that are different.. but not sure if i am willing to go through all that again.. it was rough after the 1st 2 were given and then went on and had 2 more done...

My PT does "massage therapy" and deep heat therapy on that area along with a few other troubled area spots and it does nothing but irritate even more.. by the time i walk out the door to go home the pain is already back again..I am deathly scared to go see a Chiropractor.. I couldn't explain why that is but i am...Ever since i started having back problems i wouldn't even think of going there..

I also did a lumbar epidural block last year but only got as far as getting one.. I was allergic to something that they had used and they believe it was the contrast..Come to find out later after i had something else done that involved contrast i had another allergic reaction, so pretty sure that is what it was..so if that is the kind of shot/shots you are talking about i can't have those done..or lets put it this way not one of my doctor's will even try it again...not that i am complaining..lol And i am with you i want no more injections for anything...

They'll need to figure out a different way to treat the si joint if that is what the problem is...But i know that physical therapy is something they use to treat this problem but I am already there, so guess that is out...though i am still kind of confused of how they diagnose this problem? Just tired of being in pain...it is bothering my "good leg" and i already have a bad one(talking about the RSD) so hopefully i can get this figured out... but thank you again for all the info.. at least you give me some idea's that i will discuss with my PM doctor instead of my back doctor being he won't see me for it but i know that the PM doc will.. keep you posted on how things go or turn out....