Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Triple Laminectomy question

daveofstrengthddaveofstrength Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I had some questions in regards to a surgery I had.
A little background information about myself, I am a 24 year old male with no prior medical conditions, was in optimal health, avid gym rat and obsessive with nutrition. 5 days working out and 2 days off.

Recently I was admitted to the e.r/hospital due to what seemed was meningitis however it turned out I had a spinal avm disorder that was bleeding.

My question is that I had a triple laminectomy from T1 to L2 to remove/clip the avm/fistula.

Will I require a fusion later on in life? It seems like an awful void or empty space without bone to have on my spinal column... Will I potentially develop spinal instability?

My initial surgery for the laminectomy to remove the avm/fistula was on july 8th however they had to go in there again on july 14th(6 days later) because they discovered another one. Could this have agitated my nerves even more since the first surgery?

I have almost complete weakness in my legs, I cannot tippy toe..etc My right leg seems to be far weaker than my left as well. I have numbness in both left and right feet, my right thigh is numb as well. I have COMPLETE numbness in my right saddle area however my left saddle area is completely fine. My right testicle and right half of my penis is also numb as well. I've also never had any trouble holding in my bowel movements even if i had BAD diarrhea however a day or two after hospital discharge I had a few accidents related to loose stools, it has gotten better since then however sometimes I find myself clenching and manually squeezing my butt cheeks to prevent accidents until i can get to the toilet.

I am 5 weeks out since july 14th and have made progression in walking and such but still cannot tippy toe and have extreme weakness in my calves along with my right leg being weaker than my left...

Prior to even the day before leading up to surgery I had no issues with my legs. No pain down my legs, numbness, or anything remotely related to have laminectomy for conventional reasons other than the fact I had a spinal avm disorder and a bleed.

Thanks everyone. The reason I am posting here is because I am uninsured with no income and my resources are quite limited in terms of not having a primary physician and such...

thanks again

• Also when I am laying on my back I feel a weird pressure in my back, as if there are knots there or something, is this related to the missing laminae/bone on three levels? or am i still recovering.

Does this also leave me far more vulnerable to lets say any sort of impact on the operated areas since i have no bone there?
  • t12 to l2 rather NOT t1 to l2
  • I am not sure what avm/fistula is, but within the next couple of months I will be getting decompressed (laminectomies) from C4 down to C8, and fused C4-T2, so I've been digging a lot on the net about how they do it, and the risks.

That being said, and some of what you're describing. I would make sure to get with your surgeon about all of this. Sometimes when a nerve has been compressed and not really symptomatic, they can swell a bit when released. In some cases they self resolve, but since none of us know which will (if there is swelling of the nerve), you need to bring your doctor on board as soon as you can.

Any time we have function or weakness issues, we need to get with our doctors, and your bladder issues are another reason (Urology) to see your doctor. I hope you have answers and resolution soon. Please let us know how it turns out.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Answer to your question about needing fusion from lami is no. Lami is to free up the nerve and should not cause you to have to have fusion unless you have other problems where spine is not stable. Only 4 to 5 weeks out of surgery is still early so give it time and once you star pt might help build the muscles back up and hopefully things start to get beter.

From what i read and the nerves that travel to the sexual organs in lower levels of the lower back more the l3l4 and l4l5 . Only time will tell is your surgery resolved your issue or not. Leg weakness i always thought is more from the lower levels not the thorasic levels but i am no dr of course. I have leg weakness but my surgery was done on my l4l5.

Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • thank you everyone.
    I have a follow up appointment on the 30th(6 week post op)

I will ask about all that I had posted.

Is it pretty common to be as weak as I am in my legs after a triple laminectomy? I think the second surgery 6 days afterward may have weakened me further with more potential nerve irritation/damage?

This is all overwhelmingly depressing to me because prior to all this I was in optimal health with no physical ailments/issues. It wasn't a progressing thing to where I needed this procedure...

I wish I could turn back the clock but don't we all...
  • is leg weakness common after a laminectomy?