Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

feeling depressed after microdiscectomy

Heather4ECUHHeather4ECU Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Anyone else feel down after surgery? I just had surgery Tuesday which has greatly relieved my pain and I thought I would be "jumping for joy" at this relief but I have felt very down and lonely and sad since coming home and being confined to the bed and short walks. I have an 11 mo old son who actually turns one next week and I can't help with him at all and just feel very helpless. Does anyone else identify with this?

thanks for the support!

• I have a 5 and 7 year old and can relate. You have to give yourself a break, since you just had major surgery! The guilt of not being the perfect parent is too heavy for you to carry right now. Do you have help from family or friends? Ask for their help! Your 11 month old needs you to recover 100%, so this is the time to focus on YOU! As a mother, I know it's not easy. I try to compensate by getting them gifts or pushing myself too far. Try not to overdo it and know that your full recovery is the best gift you can give to you child! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • thank you for the kind words Lily. I was feeling really down last night and I also discovered there is a forum for this particular issue. I'm feeling better today but will probably be down again when my son comes home from daycare. I just feel so helpless that I can't help that it gets to me.
  • Your body has been through a lot. Your reserves are depleted. As Lili said, avoid the mommy guilt taking over and doing too much. If the weather is nice, take a short walk. Talk to a friend. Maybe another mom you know who would be understanding could come over for a play date - which could keep your son busy and hopefully a little mom conversation. I know it's tough but at 1 year old he won't remember the birthday so maybe keep it simple this year.

I wish you all the best.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Heather

I don't think feeling down like you are feeling at the moment is unusual and I have read about this in medical literature. And especially as you have a young child and therefore may be feeling somewhat helpless.I found it quite limiting when I came home as I was very active before my surgery (54 year old cyclist, 300km a week) I found the walking quite pedestrian (pardon the pun!)and quite restricting. but each day I would do a little more and know that I was getting better. Not sure why you need to be confined to bed apart from sleeping(and sex-maybe not just yet!) All of the general medical opinion promotes getting back to mostly normal day to day procedures fairly soon after surgery. Of course, we must be very careful not sitting too long,lifting, bending and twisting.
    The good news is that it will get better for you!! There are probably a few things that you could do to help your son (definitely not lifting him for some time, but a hug doesn't require any lifting!)For me,the first 8 weeks involved continual improvement (it's 8 weeks and 2 days now!). I'm sure you will go through ups and downs as part of the recovery process. Accept this is going to happen, hang in there and then expect and look foward to the good days! Email me if you need an extra moral boost anytime!!! johnhanza@hotmail.com (John)
  • No kids here, but recognize the 'down mood' if you will. The Anesthesiologist puts a LOT of chemicals in us, and for days or weeks after surgery, our bodies are busy healing and too...processing that crap out. It has a major effect on our moods, energy etc.

You just have to give it some more time unfortunately. I've found I've been 'down' for up to a month - down (not clinically depressed mind you), tired, lack of interest or low on energy. Sadly, it's part of the healing process. I hope you are feeling better soon. Pre - Happy birthday to your young one!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I can only imagine as a mom with a new little one going through all of those exciting changes that it must be hard. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I am a dad with an 11 and 8 year old daughter three months post op after an L5-S1 Microdisectomy and I get depressed with the limitations.
    All in all, I eould say things have improved but it takes time - I believe surrounding yourself with loved ones and friends who can help you with the little one is good. My thughts and prayers are with you during your recovery.
  • I have a 4 1/2 month old son & i herniated my disc while in labour, it has been really hard to not be able to pick my son up & cuddle him or look after him. Sometimes I feel like only a "boob" as this is something that i have managed to keep doing, therefore limiting my pain medications to only OTC, anyways i hear ya on that sadness that comes from these circumstances. I just had my microdiscectomy only a week ago now & have extremely positive so far, looking forward to getting back to looking after my son in 7 weeks or less...& picking up the heavy little guy, he's 21 pounds!!