Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 year annerversary of ALIF L5-S1

matfredmmatfred Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

It has been 5 years to date since my ALIF on level L5-S1 and as such I was thinking about this site and how everyone helped me through that difficult time in my life. The site has changed somewhat from the early days byt it is great to see that we can still help each other .
Thought I'd give you a small update as to how its going for me. I had the ALIF done with PEEK cages/BMP and bonegraft, plate and 3 screws. It took about a year to get complete fusion of the 2 levels and I suppose this will be different for each person.
I have not looked back since my surgery. Recovery is a very long road and it happens slowly. Everyday I still thank the good Doctor for fixing me up as I hop out of bed!I had yearly check ups and was given the all clear last year with the doc. being extremely happy with the result.Restrictions are still in place and will remain there such as heavy lifting and no jogging/running. Thats ok, bought myself a treadmill and walk on that, nice and even.
So, I suppose recovery and outcomes are different for everyone, but there are succes stories out there.

Take care all and I hope that you too will find relief.

• Hey that is great to hear! I am currently about 8 weeks post op and doing great. I know it is a long road, but I am doing to much better than before surgery. I can't thank my surgeon enough!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Excellent news at 5 years out.

I'm nearly 2 years out and find I still have to restrict my activities and think this is how it's going to be for good. This is so much better than all that nerve pain.

Keep enjoying life !!

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • i wish you a continued life free of pain and i look forward to my ALIF this dec 28
    tony UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary. I have had 3 fusions, the first 4 years ago, the most recent 5 months ago. Yes recovery is long and hard and my life has changed some with the restrictions after surgery but well worth it!!

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I am so happy to read a story like this! I want to go back to work, and school. I am praying that everything will go well. I know that the recovery will be slow, but I will do everything I need to get my back fused!
  • HI Donnabe,
    Thanks for your reply.So glad to hear that your doing much better than before surgery. 8 weeks out is already on the way to recovery. Just remember we all heal differently and your body will tell you when its ready..just take each day as it comes, sometimes 2 steps forward and 1 step back..

take care
  • Hi Trish,

Sure thought I'd recgonise the name from the old site:) good to hear your doing well and your right about the nerve pain...it's funny but how you get used to the pain and think its normal..but hey once it is gone you realise what you have been putting up with.
    Hope this finds you well.
    sandra (brissie)
  • Hi Backache99

Thanks for the kind wishes, hope that you too will be able to find relief after your ALIF in December.
    Sounds like you are having a pretty rough time. Hope that the ALIF will fix this for you and gives you years of pain free living. All I know is that for me it was the best thing and I havent looked back. Just takes a while to recover, so take your time, listen to your doctors advise and take things slowly.

Good luck
  • HI Jani,
    thanks for your post. Your so right about the restrictions, mine are still the "no heavy lifting, vacuuming ( thats what husbands are for right?) and running. All things I can easily do without!
    Its taken me a long time to finally realise that my back is "great" again. A slow process but so worth it in the end.
    Wishing a you a speedy and above all lasting recovery !
    take care
  • Hi Heidi,
    thank you for your post. So glad to hear that your surgery will be done soon in September. Nothing worse then the waiting game and finally knowing that something is being done to help you! ( for me it was recognition that it wasnt all in my head:)
    I am sure it will go well, positive thoughts going your way. Just make sure everything is set up at home and listen to your body and your doctors advise on recovery.! Dont overdo it as you will pay for it the next day!
    Hope all will go well! any questions more then happy to help.
  • Good news is always GOOD news in spiney land. I'm sorry, did I mention good news is good to hear? Congrats for you and your success, and especially,...thank you very much for sharing "yup" Good news!

Like Tony, I too wish you continued success and yep.. GOOD NEWS! I know it has to feel 'warm and fuzzy' as they say. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Brenda,
    thanks for you reply. Yep good news is always good to hear and the fact is that once people are better they do not come back to sites like this too often as we carry on with our lives. Thought it was important to share news that success stories are out there!
    Hope this finds you well and that all will go as you hope for!
  • Nodding, a lot do 'disappear' when all is well and good. Some pop on to say what their status is, but then disappear, but they do let us know. Others, we may never know.

Me, (G), I'm a constant work in progress. ;)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.