Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain with osteoarthritis

babyruthbbabyruth Posts: 260
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
i apparently have some severe osteoarthritis (OA)in my spine. here's a stupid question. can you have pain related to osteoarthritis (OA)? all 4 of my surgeries have been disk related. whereas the herniated disk segments were removed thus decompressing the nerve that was compressed i still have a boat load of pain. part of it can be explained by multiple surgeries, but i am wondering whether OA can be painful. i only found out recently for the first time that i have some heavy OA going on particularly in the facet joints. do people wind up having spine surgeries directed by their respective OA? sorry for sounding kinda dumb. lol - canadians are known for the need to apologize

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi baby ruth,
    You sure can have pain directly related to OA. I have severe OA throughout my body and it has affected just about every joint in my body. I've had several surgeries as a result and will have many more as this disease continues continues it's trek. I've been on several medications over the years but decided some of the side effects weren't worth the risk to other vital organs. So with the help of my great team of Dr's I have changed my lifestyle and focused on my personal health and fitness through exercise. I can not begin to tell you how much it has helped both physically & mentally but I would never believed just a few years ago I would be feeling this well. Sure I still have pain and discomfort but by staying active I have been able to lower my pain level significantly.
    Are you currently seeing a rheumatologist? Be sure to consult with your Dr's to control your pain and keep any activities that involve impact to your jointsto a minimum. Be your own advocate for your health and do your homework. You can do this!
  • Sorry you are feeling pain from your OA (yep I'm Canadian too)

I also have OA that has gone from none to moderate within 8 months, so now four months later who knows...maybe severe. I am also recovering from l4-s1 discectomy/laminectomy 6 weeks ago, and not feeling any better.

I was wondering, as you were if this is maybe part of the reason for my pain. I don't have a rheumatologist, do you? I was also wondering what the type of surgery for this would be?

Wishing you all the best, hope that you can find ways to help reduce the pain.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I have two types of arthritis going on; the spondyloarthritis is being managed by Enbrel (an awful drug, but it has made life manageable for me!) and I am taking Flurbiprofen for the "other" stuff. My hands, elbows, knees and low back are the worst, and for some reason the pain in those joints has really increased in the past four months.

I've had to have very large bone spurs removed from both shoulders, and they feel like a million bucks now.

So, yes - you sure can have pain from OA!

This discussion has been closed.