Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 Discsectomy

dmaverik9ddmaverik9 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hey Guys Im new to the forum and would like to share my experience and ask for advice.
I got surgery done on july 20th, one month ago and I have been pretty careful of not doing anything too strenuos..I used to get severe leg pain and numbness but after surgery I was perfect, no pain at all no numbness either but until 3 days ago I have been getting very slight pain in my left leg at certain moments of the day and some back pain on the right side above my lumbar like by my rib cage. I am scared I have got a reherniation. Is this normal? any advice?
thanks in advance.

• it could possibly be prefectly normal.i had a disectomy 1/8/11 and for the 1st few days was sore but ok then i strated getting muscle spasms(normal)pain in the opposite side, achey legs and hips.i still have numbness i had pre op but more pain and different places!ive had my physio brought forward as my back muscles have decided to cramp up making me unable to do the exercises.but what ive read on here most of this is normal for some people.every1 heals diff and all our bodies react differently.if you have any major concerns i would contact your doctor to discuss but its very early yet and often feels worse before it feels better.i will update on my physio verdict if its just muscular or if i have reherniated the other side!!good luck :)
  • I'm 8 weeks post surgery and still have leg pain. The way I look at it is this:

Tue vast majority of herniations and accompanying sciatica clear up in 8 weeks or so. Let's say worst case scenario you've reherniated. You say the pain is very slight and only sometimes. Sounds like you could "live with it" for a few weeks and see if things start to improve. Chances are they will.

Also, my doctor told me presurgery the goal is certainly not pain free. He said hr wanted to get me down to a 2/10, a point where the pain is tolerable and a full life can be led.

Time is on our sides.
  • I am 25 days into my surgery and 3 days ago I started to have these funny pains in my back.
    I spoke to my doc and he said that this would be normal in the coming 2 weeks as the internal inflammation subsides an things fall back into place.
    One has to be careful in the 6 week post surgery period as things inside are pretty fluid. Apart from light stretching exercises one should avoid activity. I now have been allowed an extended sitting period.

I have so far been lying down, sitting for food and loo only, walk down my corridor and keep stairs to a minimum. I'll start swimming next week.

This period is crucial, a good rest will take you along a lifetime, God willing.

• Hey, I'm 24 and 2 weeks post op from a discectomy on my L5 S1. I'm pretty discouraged because I have felt very little relief in my leg pain. It's still pretty severe, and I'm worried the surgery just flat out didn't work for me. I had some relief for a few days, but now I almost feel how I did pre-surgery.

I feel awful that you had so much relief and now are having some pain, but I hope it stays to a minimum and your recovery goes well. If you (or anyone) have any advice on recovery times for this or ways to deal with the pain, I'd love to hear them!