Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Freaking Out over bill

ajr3az76aajr3az76 Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I Just got a bill today from hospital for $47139.00
I am on state health care and was approved for surgery. It says medicaid covered 26000.00
Is this normal. I think i may have to add a heart attack to this soon if i do indeed owe this much. it is the weekend so i have to wait till monday to call on this.

Any advice or words of comfort?

• I had a vasectomy at beginning of the year and not one cent had to be paid.

I just dont get it.
  • Before getting to upset over the bill, call the hospital and see what is going on. Many times the bill is much higher, then they adjust what the provider doesn't pay to the contract rate. If you are on medicaid they have contract rates for all procedures and would know you don't have the income to pay. Also check into your hospitals programs to help pay any additional bill you may owe. But first call and see what you might really owe.
  • HI,
    Wow, that' like the bill I got for my cervical fusion...the rear plate was billed at $22,ooo!!!
    Insurance allowed $10,ooo...I paid enough on this one surgery to meet the year deductible...so I'm "free" for the rest of the year!
    Hope all gets straighted out, before you do have a heart attack!!
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    If you are on Medicaid it is against the law to bill a Medicaid patient unless you have a spenddown. I doubt that any spenddown will be that high. It sounds to me that there are some procedures that didnt get paid or an adjustment wasnt taken. Either one is not patient responsibility. First thing Monday morning call the hospital billing department and I just about guarantee that you will be told it is not your responsibility and to disregard the statement.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Most often the first document you get from the billing department is not a bill, it's a notification. It will say something like "This is not a bill. These charges have been submitted to your health insurance carrier. You do not owe anything at this time".

The reason is they have to notify you they've submitted to insurance/medicaid/medicare.

Beyond that, know that the first bill is the charges not yet negotiated.

For example, maybe time in the OR was $3500 but Medicaid is contracted to pay $2000 for that service. Medicaid will pay their $2000 and the hospital "writes off" the remaining $1500.

So the first "bill" you see is most often a non-adjusted notification of what has been submitted for payment.

IF it has an amount you owe in the "bill" then be concerned. If it says "you do not owe anything" retain it, create a file for all correspondence related to the treatment, and just wait
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • so i spoke with someone in the admin dept. yesterday.
    He said that is was all going to be taken care of. what a relief. I went through bankruptcy 2 years ago and have been doing much better financially since. I dont even have a credit card.

thanks for the responses
  • Maybe you should apply to a lawyer? there might be a chance he will solve this issue. You can also get some useful tips here EDITED. I'm sure something will appear helpful for you.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Numbskull
  • in an otherwise dim world.

Bill from hospital done they made a clerical error.
    Yay thanks all
  • After several surgeries over the years, I got what turned out to be statements (not bills, much to my relief) of surgeons' fees, which caused me to come within a hair's breadth of freaking. Insurance ended up paying them.

You said the statement arrived on a weekend, which made me think of the great number of times I've gotten things like that, about which I needed to talk to someone in an office, on a Saturday. Each time I've groaned at the thought of having to wait until Monday to get the matter straightened out. Test of patience, perhaps?

I'm glad everything worked out for you.
  • I've gotten statements before that show what was paid and what was not but eventually they either wrote it off or got the money from my insurance. I've learned not to panic from seeing hospital bills as usually everything works out. I had one hospital statement for when I was hospitalized for four weeks and it was close to a $1 million dollars. Right now I don't have any insurance and I'm thinking about getting short term health insurance until I can get group insurance.