Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What can Arthritis really do?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
I've felt for a number of years that I could speak about the various spinal problems, disc related issues, the conditions, the treatments and more. That came only with years of experience and living through it.

Its only been in the past 10 years, that I've started to learn so much more about arthritis.

Most of the time when we hear about arthritis, we think about it in terms of people that are older which seems more normal. Its almost to the point where we shouldn't have any problems with arthritis when we are younger.

Wrong. The more you get to know about all the different types of arthritis, the more you will begin to understand that it is not a disease for the elderly only

There are several factors that can bring on OA earlier in age:

- Trauma (accidents)
- Spinal surgeries
- Genetic situation

When I first started showing masses of arthritis in my shoulders and hips (back in 2004/5), I didnt give it much thought.

Since then I've come to realize just how devastating, arthritis can be. I tried for 3 years with steroid injections in my shoulders to slow down the constant deterioration of bone/tendon/muscles from arthritis. I lost! I had both of my shoulders completely replaced in 2010. Right now, I am looking at having both of my hips replaced within the next 9 months, and after that, it will be my knees.

My doctors see that, they know its going to happen, but they just cant understand why in some people once arthritis takes over, it spread so rapidly throughout the body destroying all joints. To me, that has scarier than dealing with the pain and discomfort. Sure, its not the same as having a disc impinging on a nerve root that can potentially lead to permanent nerve damage. But just start living with advance arthritis and you know all that it can do.

I dont understand it all, but I do realize it is happening. I know I can not stop it, my doctors have told me I cant stop it, we all know its just a matter of time for the next joint surgery, so what do I do in the meantime? The best I can do is to try to slow it down the
advancement and progression of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is not like Rheumatoid arthritis, where there are medications to control it. Today, the medical field does not know how to control Osteoarthritis. But in a lot of the research I have done, plus the help of my physiatrist, I am looking into specific foods, natural everyday elements that can help slow things down.

Its become a challenge for me, sort of a game. Those of you that know me, know that this is with everything else is not going to bring me down. Its just another obstacle to overcome. And you know with positive attitude, strong values and help of others like members on this site, we can do do very much, things we may not of though being possible.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I also have been diagnosed with OA in my spine. How do I know when the little aches and pain in my joints is attributed to this? Is there a test of some sort?

Since my foot injury (no break, but some nerve problems) I get a lot of aching that I've never had before. Could this have set off an OA problem?

I'm just interested in this because I know it's rampant throughout my spine, but have no idea how far out it goes and if trauma may set it off in other areas of the body.

Since you've become an expert (:-)) can you elaborate on what I've asked or would it best to go to our arthritis sister site?

Thanks, my friend.
  • Ron,

I have 'arthrosis' multi level in my thoracic, and or course in my neck now. The only plus I can give to it is it isn't nerve pain! Sorry, but it is different.

My regular joints (knees, shoulders, elbows etc.) so far, so good - mind is spine related. You are so right, age can be a factor sure, but given our (on here) various surgeries and spine issues, arthritis can be induced! Vs of course, when we are seniors...arthritis cares NOT for age in my book!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • HI,
    Besides being loaded with OA in my spine, after I tore the ligaments in my right hand, and had a total reconstruction done,(summer 2010) the arthritis is running rampant! I've already noticed the changes in my joints and that hand ACHES all the time...especially in humid weather.. I hope someone finds a way to slow it down soon.. After the fusion 13 weeks ago, I can not take anything for the swelling..
    I see the hand surgeon next week...hope he has some advice on this!
  • you have already gone through too much by the time the consultants have done with you you will have had just about every joint replaced .talk about the 6 million dollar man !! {we can rebuild him ..remember that i am sure you do 1970s } i hope all goes well with you various operations and you are right arthritis is bloody awful .i have it in my lower back/both wrists/ right shoulder /and right ankle,the pains so bad there are days when i can't even eat i just want to sleep full of pain killers ,you have my sympathies as always
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Ron,

You are correct there is a feeling that arthritis only hits the elderly, but it can come in many forms and the reasons for it can be so different. Like you I am in the need of knee replacements, but still working with the conservative treatments. In my situation it is a over use factor, weakening of my legs, and of course trauma from playing sports when young.

While I was at the surgeon, making sure we were on the right path, he stated something kind of odd. He said well this is a kind of arthritis, that did this. I then began to think what does that mean and like you started learning more about it. Of course once I started reading about it, I began to understand that is not something that just effects grandma. During that research I learned that everyone will have it, but not all will know. Of course the older we get and the more we use our joints the more we are susceptible to it. I also learned we can do things to help control it.

As we age diet becomes imperative, we just don't have the ability to fight off things as easier with joints that have been used so long. I liken it to the door hinge that gets open and closed so often, eventually it will develop a squeak and need some oil. Without the oil the hinge will eventually give out. So while I found diet is important, just as important is exercise and remaining active, to the best of your ability, be it swimming, walking, treadmills or whatever, we all still need some daily exercise. This past summer I been driving one care more than the other, and the one not driven when I went to drive it, heard a loud noise. Straight to the mechanic for fear something was really wrong. Well those breaks got a little rusty and needed to be worked from sitting to long. Same with our bodies, we will get them rusty if we don't keep them moving.

Hopefully, once you get all of these issues fixed up it won't continue to other joints. Some will get it worse than others, but we can help it out to a degree. Ron, I know you still work a part time job and stay as active as possible, along with eating a proper diet, so not always can we control it all, but had you not done all of that, it might of been worse much earlier in life. Hopefully the surgeries won't cause any set backs with your spine.
  • You are so right about diet helping to slow the degenerative process. Our food supply is loaded with pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, etc. Our body does not know what to do with them. The inflammation process is our bodys way of dealing with these foreign substances. I'm trying to eat organic and nonprocessed foods, but it is difficult on a strict budget. I use coupons on all my paper and cleaning products so that I can buy some organic produce and meats. I've found a company where I can buy organic canned products in bulk, which is a true blessing. The cans do not have BPa, which is a no-no when going organic.

My doctor believes that fish oil helps decrease OA symptoms, so I have been taking a very pure grade fish oil. With two auto immune diseases, the fish oil is very important. I try to take specific supplements for inflammation, but I have a lot of nausea due to my Addisions disease.

At least diet is something that we can control. Just have to do the best we can...

• Arthritis is definitely not just for the old. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees when I was 12 years old. But I had youth (and stupidity) on my side, it certainly didn't stop me. I played basketball, volleyball, soccer, floor hockey, ran track and cross country. My doctor told me at 16 that if I didn't slow down and care for my knees, I would end up with a walker by the time I hit 40. He just shook his head at me and wished me well when at 19, I told him I had joined the military, lol. Well, he wasn't far off, I started using a cane regularly last year at 37...

At age 24, a final blow out playing soccer for pt one morning (my sergeant-major tackled me) resulted in a full open menisectomy on my right knee, which was always the worse of the two. But I continued on with another 14 years in the military with no cartilage in that knee. In 2006 I ended up having a lateral release, where they cut the tendon that's attached to the knee cap on my left knee. That's when my ortho told me there's nothing more that can be done, except knee replacements, but being so young and having still a few years left in the military, I wouldn't get approved for them. I guess that will be the next thing I get done after I get this mess with my spine somewhat sorted out.

I also have OA in my hips from the stress from my knees, in most of my fingers (my mom's fingers are all twisted and gnarled, so I know I have that to look forward to, as I have her hands). I figure by the time I'm 60 the rest of my body will be consumed by it. I'm not sure why I was surprised to find out it was in my neck, too, but I was a little.

In a way, I'm kind of glad that I developed OA at such a young age and have dealt with pain for so long. It certainly paved the way for me dealing with this spine stuff. It would just be nice to catch a break some days from not having so much pain in almost my entire body, between the arthritic pain, the neuropathy/radiculopathy and the muscle spasms.

Thankfully I have strong ankles, lol.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I know growing up as a small boy, my parents, especially my father encouraged me to play all sports. I loved baseball and football. For whatever reason football was in my blood. During the late 1960's, playing high school football, there was no such thing as conditioning or safety. Our coaches had us lifting as many weights as fast as we could as often as we could. Then we were taught to tackle by ramming your head into the other person's head. helmet to helmet tackles, dangerous by itself but also using helmets that reassemble a thin plastic shield. Concussions were normal, I think I had about 4 of them, plus countless times of total numb arms and hands. The coaches loved it!

I encouraged my kids to play sports. My daughter was a very aggressive basketball,soccer and softball player. My son was a hard-hitting hockey player.
    Today, 15 to 20 years later, they are paying the price of playing the game.

I still believe in sports, its just one way to instill some discipline, understanding the value of team-mates, and for some - staying of the streets.
    For a good thing, in the end we can and many do pay a price.

Just doesn't seem fair.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Yes, I know that there is nothing that will stop Osteoarthritis. So many of us will eventually get it as Tam documented. But not all of us will get it to the point that it impacts our lives. And then some of us will get it to the point it becomes like a raging river of hot molten lava traveling all through our body.

I know I am the kind that it is traveling fast and has already done a lot of damage. I kid with my doctors and tell them, if they think I will be come the first Toe-replacement surgery.

I've been researching all about what if anything can be done to slow down the arthritic process. There are some specific foods, organic, non-organic that can help. I know there is a lot about organic and non-processed, vegetarian types of diets. There are also herbs, normal foods, and beverages that claim they can help.

I am still reading all about this. I take some OTC that claim to help. I still us the word claim, because honestly , the medical field really isnt 100% of what can be done to help in this area.

Hopefully, some day more concrete evidence will be available that can help prevent the destruction that OA can do to a human body.

• My mom swears by fish and salmon oils, and glucosamine-chondroitin. I haven't tried the oils myself, and didn't find the glucosamine to be any help, but I did only take it for 4 months, so maybe it didn't have enough time to build up?

Your topic Ron, motivated me to do a little research in my spare time since yesterday, and I found what seems to be a great website, HolisticOnline.com. It has all sorts of information on different alternative medicine, for all kinds of different symptoms/disorders/diseases. Pretty interesting stuff. When I have more time, I do want to look more into Spine-Health's sister arthritis site too.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • i've got some wicked arthritis going on in the spine too, in the lumbar area, and even the facet joints are shot. i also have what feels like bone on bone in one of my ankles, the two big bones. they click when i move my foot up and down. is there such thing as ankle replacements? lol. something tells me i'd have a better chance being struck by lightening
  • My endocrine doctor, who is conventially trained, is convinced that omega fish oils are key in decreasing the inflammation associated with osteoarthritis and other auto immune diseases. He takes 7 Gms daily, and I've found a high grade quality fish oil that I've been taking recently. I will let you know how it works for me. I wake up with severe joint pain every day, so I'm hopeful that this will help. I'm also taking hyalauronic acid and boswellia.

• It seems my arthritis came with my back injury at 47. I started knee problems and have arthritis and crepitis in knee. I fell 2 weeks ago and my left knee is painful and now seeing a Chiropractor for inferential treatment with a machine that takes down swelling.

I'm also getting inferential treatment on my neck and lower back. The Chiropractor knows of my disc problems and will not adjust me of course so hes trying to manage the swelling.

I also have arthritis in my feet the same time as my back injury and sciatica. I dont know why the arthritis came at the same time as the back injury.

I was thinking of seeing a Rheumatoid Dr. to see if they can help.

I know OA affects the joints and know its different than general arthritis but wish you all the best Ron for your upcoming surgeries. Char
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN