Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5-s1 md recovery issues!

catsinc3ccatsinc3 Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
im now 3 weeks post op ans still in more pain than i was pre op!it seems to me to be all the muscles from incision site and up to mid back and sometimes across my buttocks and hips.so tight sometimes i cant do the simple physio excercises i was given in hosp.walking is gettting harder!my right side buttock hurts.all my legs top to bottom ache most of the time.not sciatica ache but like very tired muscles.having to take muscle through the day now and they make me groggy.i have never been apin free since the op!numbness still there but nerves were compressed 8 months.but incsision and proplapse was left side and my right side is now weak aswell.ive rung the surgeons office only got a machine that was thursday!will ring hospital physio tomorrow and see if i get any joy there.had a soak in bath last night was nice immediatly after but had a very bad night then getting totally stuck again this morn!!i am slightly and very slightly more mobile on waking but standing from sitting is agony i walk like a hunchback for 5 mins.feel like i need my meds more often than im allowed to take!even been rubbing ibuprofen gel onto sore areas it does help a little which is y im hoping its muscualr.tried ice makes no diff heat helps.omg im so depressed and annoyed there seems to be no help out there!if i turned up at casualty they would keep me there for 4 hours plus and send me home with my own pain meds as thats all i can take so no point in that exercise.i wanna cry all the time im so limited and immobile compared to pre op at this point im wishing i hadnt had it done!! :(

• Are you doing any light stretching? The one thing if you lay down to much it will make you more stiffer, which is why they promote walking and more walking. Are you drinking plenty of fluids. Pain meds tend to dry the body out, which can also effect your muscles.

Everyone heals at different rates but the key is to get moving. The longer your immobile the harder it gets. The surgeons can only take you so far, then you have to do the hard work. If you had a fusion the Ibuprofen you shouldn't be using, even if it is topical. If you have someone whom can massage your legs that might help more. While I understand it is hard to get up and move around, it is kind of one of those necessary evils and it will help the more you do it. The walking is key, as you need to gain back your core body strength. Hopefully you will hear back from the hospital tomorrow.
  • hi,no im doing no stretching havent been told i can or how!didnt have a fusion so hopefully the ibup cream will be ok.i am moving around loads cant bear to sit for more than 10 mins i totally stiffen then.i have episodes in where i cant even stand.my right side is deff the weaker now.i drink loads and spend 75% of my day on the loo lol i only rent fluids.i will ring the surgeons office again tomorrow but the message said that the secretary doesnt work mondays!.when i spoke to gp they said the hospital are bad at getting back to u and dont always even answer letters!my best gp was on hol last week so maybe she is back this week i will speak to her aswell see if she can get me back in at the hospital to be seen by some1 any1 lol.when my pain meds are fresh and ive had the hotwater bottle on for about half hour im quite free moving but i cant take it everywhere with me lol i do at home fasten it on lol.need to speak to physio too re getting a cane as the crutch is too long if my arm is straight it trails on the floor so i have to hold it up when im not using it.went for a walk today my calves were very tight,THIGHS AND HIPS TIGHTISH,my left calf always got tight before the op.its deff not sciatic pain in my hips and legs just very achey!driving me mad!if ive rehernaited to the right at least i want to know!if it muscular i think i need exercises to loosen them.i cant swim more than 5 metres anyway but cant go in the pool due to my psiorosis it gets very sore with the chlorine in the pool.grrrrrrrrrrr
  • You are not alone! Everything that you have said, rings true to me. I am now almost 7 weeks (tomorrow) post op.

Glad to see that you are going to see about getting a cane, I mentioned it to you in another thread, as that is what I use.It is very handy to help get up from a sitting position as well as lean on when I need to stand for a period of time, as well as the security it gives me when I walk. Definately did not think I would still be needing it at this point in the game.

I still cannot sit for more than 5-10 minutes straight up in a chair, if I do, when I stand there is a horrific pain that shoots up my tailbone.I am on loads of pain meds and also take valium, but still feel the pain in my back, butt, hips and starting to go down left leg after walking about 300 feet or standing in one position for a couple of minutes.

I too feel weak but have been told no physio yet, just walking. My nerves were also compressed a long time (1 year +) so understand the numbness.

Do try to get up and walk as much as you can, as often as you can. Keep using the heat if it helps some. I hope that you are able to get a hold of one of your doctor's today. I am going to see my surgeon today for a scheduled appointment.

Will be thinking of you, and sending you healing vibes!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • ok had a letter from neuro today appt 2nd november!thats 13 weeks post op!also had physio letter so i rang them explained situation and they brought it forward to 31st this month.maybe ill get a stick that is the right height!!c what they say and if they feel theres a need they can pressure for a repeat mri!had another bd night woke at 7am stuck again!little more mobile in as much pulled myself up to drink water for meds hung on for 10 mins then held onto everything to make way to loo!by time taekn my meds and diazapam was moving.4 hrs up now and i know it!off to take more paracet and coediene!let me know how you got on ouch plz!!.feel little lighter as in ive got appts but still miserable i have to wait so long!:)
  • had a call from my pre op physio yesterday she said as i wasnt new she herself could see me and sooner ie this friday!!!!spoke to gp todday too re how long my appt is for neuro follow up and pain etc she said tell my physio she is best placed to chase referrels repeat mri etc if she feels this is the case.i drove yesterday!had to get daughter uniform for new secondary school so spent total of around half hr in the car and hour in changing rooms.was tired when i got home and overdue my meds but had a decentlypain free night and not overly stiff today fingers and toes crossed its on the up!!
  • that you were able to get in to see your physio so quickly. Will have my fingers crossed for you that you can get your appointment moved up and your MRI as well.

Let us know how it goes at physio. I am going to get on the phone and get that rolling for myself as well.

Yah! You had a good outing with your daughter and drove as well. All that and you had a decent night and not too stiff today.

Continued success to you!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi,went for pt this morn.just made it as had severe sciatica left side when i woke prob after getting stuck early pm night before and i mean stuck !rolled but cud not!move my bak had to take all my meds wait half hr then hobble then it wore off!anyways pt went through it all again the b4, the doctors report my version of events/watched me walk twice!tested strength in legs (left is very slightly better)listened and concluded i have prob been doing far too much as i am on my feet all day(sitting hurts n i get stuck)she said for the nxt wk n half do very little!!walk outside max half hour she agreed taking the diazapam through the day will just make me sleepy and unable to move her aim is for me to be off the morning 1 soon.use heat if it helps as often as i like.do not do any of the exercises given by hospital!!except for the pelvic tilt sitting.dont use the crutch she said having 1 tends to make u lopsided and 1 side of muscles use diff(which id sorta worked out)she said after surgery they tend to give 2 so ur even or none!by all means use it to help me rise if necessary but try very hard not to use it to walk or lean on as in effect ur twisting if your leaning on a stick(can c her point)i gotta go back week monday and she wants to see if lessening my activities will lessen the spasms!IF theres no joy she will investigate further and refer me back to the neuro or an ortho.so all in all i feel better.made me feel most of it is pretty normal albeit in smaller levels but as she thinks im prob doing too much thats why im suffering like i am.dont push myself walking half hour maximum she said or ill just aggrevate the muscles which in turn will aggravate the nerves..she told me my gait will most deff improve once my muscles are stronger and working together in sync which she can work on..so to everyone hurting and waiting to be referred for pt after surgery(6weeks in uk)push it!!i know 100% more now about the op and post op thigs than i learnt from the hospital spinal pt team,which was basically dont lift more than a full kettle of water!