Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Flexiril vs valium for back spasms

ktrombkktromb Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello again,

I'm almost 3 weeks post ACDF and all I'm really struggling with is muscle spasms ... and they are fierce. I have been trying stretches and ice packs. I also have been taking valium (and still a small dose of percocet) but I also have a script for flexiril. Several folks have told me they HATED flexiril ... made them nervous and "feeling wierd." Any of you have a preference between the two drugs ... or any other suggestions?

• It really boils down to "what makes you most comfortable". Some folks do better with one drug over another. Flexeril is a good drug and doesn't carry the concern of addiction that Valium does.

When it comes to seeking relief from pain or spasms, many of us are not very patient and not very tolerant of "adjustment periods" when first taking a new drug. It took me quite some time to learn to "give it time". Before I learned that, my evaluation of certain drugs and their effectiveness and side effects was definitely skewed.

Like many others, I suffer chronic muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. I have found moist heat to be a ton of help.

• I'm sorry to hear of your pain. For me, Valium worked better on my spasms than the Flexeril. Flexeril didn't really seem to put a "dent" in it. I was prescribed 5mg Valium to take every 6 hrs at urgent care which my NS said was way too much so he scaled it back some, but it worked well. I only used it for a week before my surgery so I can't speak to LT effects. Definitely call your doctor/nurse to review your concerns.

Good luck!
  • I agree that Valium works better for me. Flexiril used to make me sleep way to much but know it doesn't. Plus Valium calms me down, so my mood is better. But it does have an addiction issue(personally I don't have issues with addiction, I never had I guess I am just lucky)
  • Any reason why choice is limited? There are several muscle relaxers out there: Baclofen, Skelaxin (robaxin), tizanidine (Xanaflex), Soma (carisoprodol) in addition to the ones you have mentioned. The all have side effects, but the good news is lots of options..some are a lot cheaper than others too.