Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck surgery

gramato3ggramato3 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi I am scheduled to have surgery on my neck this thursday. I have herniated discs at 2-3,3-4,5-6 and will have fusion,and diskectomy surgery. I know that the pain and numbness and tingling will be gone, and will be over night one or two nights. Post surgery is the pain all that bad, and for how long? Has anyone had this surgery and does it help? I am just about at my witts end between the pain, numbness , not getting much sleep. I have complete faith in the surgeon but wanted to hear from somone who has had this done. They are going through the front of my neck, I guess thats normal. The nerves are setting in. Thanks

• Welcome to Spine Health!! Sorry to hear you have surgery coming up, but glad that they did identify what is going on, and hopefully relief and healing are on the way!

On both of my ACDF's (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion) I awoke with almost all my pre-op pain gone. I also had numbness and weakness with my second one. Chances are if your disk issues were slow in developing, you too will see marked improvement when you wake up.

You'll probably have a sore throat as they move your esophagus to one side to access the disks and complete the procedure, but it isn't normally any worse than you get with a cold. The hospital stay like you said, is between 1 and 2 days for an anterior entry.

Please let us know how you are doing when you are on the other side. Again, Welcome Aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I would also like to welcome you to Spine Health. :H

If you click on the link below, you will be able to find a list of useful items to aid recovery after your surgery.

Don't be alarmed at how much is on the list!
    Some of the items are for lumbar surgery.
    There are some very good ideas for things that will make your recovery easier.

Do let us know how you get on. The support you will get here while you are recovering will help to keep you sane. :-)