Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am ready !!!!

nurselynnaiennurselynnaie Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I went and got my exercise ball, my two pound hand weights lol don't want to over do it. I am ready to start to lose this weight from having a no activity restriction. Any ideas? thoughts? suggestions? on how to get started ? What about diet ? I know I do not eat much , in fact that is prob one of the reasons I tend not to lose weight.... I need help I am a nurse but nutrition and exercise is the worst for me ...
Thanks Guys

• Please eat! If you don't your body slows down metabolically and you will not lose weight. Try to eat just meat and veggies and fruit and yogurt and cut down on rice, pasta and potatoes.

Portion size is key also and no refills except for vegetables and fruit. Instead of juice except cranberry try and eat the whole fruit as it's more filling and drink water.

Walking is good exercise. Does the exercise ball come with a CD on exercises but If you see a Physiotherapist maybe they can get you started on what exercises are best since you've had fusion surgery and most important to speak with your Dr. before any exercise besides walking.

I use the exercise ball to put my legs up and do some stretches and tummy lifts but walk daily well try to anyway..

Drink lots of water and I hope you lose some weight and have some fun. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Finding a program and for FREE isn't too hard. Look on the internet. There are tons of them. Also on Exercise TV, which is bundled in with cable. Plenty of programs that you can buy too.

What do you like? Dance, kick boxing, tae-bo, weight lifting, walking and variations, eliptical, tai-chi, yoga, pilates, ???? Pick something and I can tell you some routines to go look up.

Do you work in a hospital? Got any buddies down in the dietary dept? Find a dietician and get a basic program. If you work in a hospital you must have someone who owes you favors and can hook you up quietly with a decent program.

You're a nurse, God love you gals, you are the worst at diet and exercise. But those of us who have been in hospitals like you most and are glad to help you.

What would like to try?

• I am hoping that it will help with the anxiety, panic and depression .. I have been looking all day online.
  • I just re-read the top part and happened to see one of your other threads. No movement restriction? You need better definition than that. That means sit/lay and do nothing. I don't call that a solution for anyone.

So from your other post. You most likely will need some type of surgery. You have loose screws at best. That kills doing most lumbar moves as you will stress those screws every time. Unless you have good balance now stay off that exercise ball. You roll off it once losing your balance and you'll be sorry. Lay of the floor or a bench with a towel in the arch of your back to keep its natural position. Work on very basic core moves to tighten those stomach muscles. You can do some arm and shoulder movements in that position. You won't lose much if any weight but you'll start helping your core.

Find some simple yoga stretches that don't tork your back. You can also stretch legs, calves, hamstrings, thighs, butt can be done with no weights, balls, or other devices. Just you.

Put your effort into your diet. There are plenty of free diet plans. Don't go fad and don't use diet pills. Get off the cigarettes too. The sooner the better.

Some of the anxiety, panic, depression can be dealt with using basic yoga as it tends to have a calming effect. So does tai-chi. Beyond that you'll have to deal with the fact that you most likely need another surgery. It would be best if you could get a grip without the use of more pills. Although one option is Zyban that might kill a few things in 1 shot. Zyban is just Wellbutrin rebranded for smoking cessation. So you get a mild anti-depressant to help with your head and something that makes smoking rather blah.
  • Wow, I didn't know that about Zyban, learn something everyday.

I was going to add tai chi, but Graham beat me to it. I haven't done any lately, but we used to do some basic movements as part of warm up/cool down when we practiced unarmed combat. I do like yoga though. A possibility, if you can spare the cash, is the Wii Fit Plus, it has a yoga program in it that I use. I can't do all of the exercises, but the ones I can do, I love. And, I can do a lot more than when I first started with it. The main thing is to keep with it (hangs head in shame, lol). But if not, then as Graham suggested, you should be able to find some stretches on line, or on tv programs, although they're usually on first thing in the morning, but you could DVR or TVO it.

As for diet, all the fresh veggies you can digest, as Charry said. Some fruits contain a lot of sugar though, so you can search which fruits are best for weight loss, like grapefruit or watermelon. You want something that's more water based for both. And stay away from sugar substitutes like Nutrasweet or aspartame, they are bad for you, and can actually cause weight gain.

Water: 8 to 10 glasses (8 oz each) is the recommended daily intake. Within a week of that alone you'll lose some water weight. You can still drink natural juices, but you still need to drink your daily amounts of water on top of that. Coffee or tea, drink black, no sugar or cream/milk, but you can use lemon in your tea. If you must, use a little 1% milk, but cut out that sugar!

Meat: red meat is generally 4 oz daily portion and white meat is 6 oz daily portion. I can't remember what fish is, I think it's 4-5 oz as well.

Starches/carbs, try to keep it to 1 cup serving. You can usually have 1-2 servings of carbs/starches per day. 2 slices of weight watchers bread or Dempster's Smart bread (to make a sandwich for instance) is one portion. The Dempster's smart bread has pretty much the same nutritional value as Weight Watchers bread, so don't waste your money on the WW brand (it's a lot more expensive).

Fats: You do need fats, in moderation. Cook with 1 Tblspn of olive oil, or your favourite. You can use "normal" sour cream or mayonnaise, no need to use the fat free, but again, in moderation. ! Tbspn/serving/day. Same goes for butter, which is the best thing to use. The other things like margarine or Becel, etc are basically plastics that you're putting into your body.

Salt: Cut out all condiments (mustard, ketchup/catsup, relishes, etc) pickles, canned foods, processed foods, pre-prepared meals. Use fresh whenever and where ever you can. If you like soups, make your own, you can find tons of recipes on line. I would suggest that for salad dressings as well. If you're out and order a salad, always order the dressing on the side, and stick to oil & vinegar, balsamic vinegar or other such dressings, nothing "creamy".

Dairies: You need to include some dairy as well, which could be the skim milk in your coffee/tea, things like the sour cream could be used as either a dairy or a fat (so if you've already had your dairy portion, but not fat, you can use that to fulfill your daily portion) You can substitute other things as well, like if you've already used all your veggie portions, but not starch, you can still have a baked potato (naked of course, of the usual "loaded" baked potato dressings) But then again, if you haven't used your fat and dairy portions, you could have your baked potato with a little bit of graded cheese and a Tblspn of sour cream. I know, sounds confusing, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to figure out.

One main thing is that you should be eating 3 squares a day (meals, I mean, not brownies LOL) with snacks in between of fresh veggies or fruits. I actually buy the pre-cut veggie trays, so they're always on hand when I get snacky.

Another good tool is to keep a food diary, write down what you eat and when, and mark off your glasses of water as you drink one, so you don't lose track of what you've already had for the day, and what portions you have left to use. Planning meals ahead of time is a great way to control portions as well.

Hope some of that is useful for you! All of the info I provided is from personal experience thru doing Herbal Magic (I did that program a few years ago, it was fantastic but holy expensive. I did keep the weight off for about 4 years until going on Lyrica and other meds) and what I've learned from my mom who does WW. I also need to give myself a kick in the butt to get back on track with my eating habits, as they've gone down the tube the past couple of years. It's pretty easy once you get into it though, and you do feel better, both physically and emotionally! If you want some great recipes, check out Ginas Skinny recipes on-line, there's a lot of delicious, economical and easy prep recipes there! Good luck!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I know every time I read my restrictions I laugh and say to my self how am I going to do this. I am not to bend, push, pull, lift, vacuum, you name it I am not suppose to do it. I can however walk which I did do today took me forever to go a mile but I did it. Was in tons of pain afterwards so I took my medicine. I need to strengthen core muscles I know everything everyone says is true the core helps with the back . ZO6 u are absolutely right about that ball... that was a stupid move on my part. I have a pool but exercise in the pool ( swimming) with the kicking kills me. I have gained almost thirty pounds since May when I got hurt and I wasnt little to begin with. Diet is key .. my brother preaches that all the time.Anyone else notice how expensive it is to eat healthy ...
    Thanks for all the help guys and I am loving the meditation.
  • Actual swimming can be very painful, as when on your stomach, you're over-extending your neck to keep your face out of the water, and your back is as well. The best thing to do is actually walking in the pool. The natural resistance from the water is great for strengthening, and it's lower impact than walking on the ground because of the bouyancy. It's a great workout, and you can go as easy or more strenuous as you like!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Well I walked 2.6 miles total the other day I pod on back and leg killing me thought ok just gotta do this and lose some weight it will help put less strain on my back ...came home and took a pain pill... went to my son's football practice n when I went to sit down heard a pop so loud in my lower back that my daughter sitting next to me heard it... felt a twinge down my left leg... came home laid on the couch and heard another pop not as loud, but when I said oh ... and went to move my leg a stabbing stinging sharp pain flew down my left lower back butt and entire leg was stuck couldnt move was crying in pain... my family is looking at me like I am crazy at this point... Im yelling it hurts cant move.... finally after about 30 seconds it passed and there was a dull aching pain left ten times worse then usual... havent walked since (gone for a walk I mean) now I am scared to do anything that pain was horrible :(
  • I think you went gun-ho out of the gate and you need to work your way up to it. Your body is not used to that so you need to begin with a smaller routine and gradually increase it over time. A good program is 10,000 steps. You can google it and find it on the net, along with other walking programs. If you have a pool there are also other activities you can do in the pool for some exercise google them and they are out there. I am on my way back to aqua therapy no land therapy even though i am up and about, but it is the safer place for me. In the water you are only supporting 20% of your body weight. But the key is to work it up over time, not all out in one day. I look at this way we didn't get in this shape over night and not going to get out of it over night either.
  • Don't go dor 2-3 miles at once. More than you can deal with. Try 1 mile at most. When you walk it try this. Before leaving the house do a few simple stretches. These can be done without yanking on your loose screws (the ones in your back anyway :-) Do some calf stretches. Simples is foot against a block at 45 degree angle then lean forward. Do some calf raises. Stand in a doorway. Grab the frame. Raise up onto your toes and tighten the calf. Even better. Tighten/flex your abs, butt, hamstrings, calves, one after the other as you move. If you can deal with it. Laydown on the floor and do some hamstring stretches. Do the piraformis stretch. It gets a few major muscles at once. Look up piraformis stretch and just follow the video. They are easy. Just remember breath in, then pull back more on knee as you exhale. All stretch part happens during exhale, not inhale.

You don't need to pull anything so you get cramps but do stretch with some effort. None of those stretches mess with your bones or screws.

Now for your walk. Do 1 mile. Do it like this. Walk the first few 100 feet slowly increasing speed so the muscles, heart, etc are warmed up. Now walk normal pace for 1 minute, now walk faster pave for 1 minute, repeat. If you feel light headed then do the normal walk for 2 minutes and fast walk for 1 minute. This cycling will improve your caloric burn without causing more pain.

If you want to do 2 miles. Do 2 seperate walks about an hour or so apart. That will jump start your metabolism.

It's called Interval Training. Look it up. It is 1 tool to help you exercise and get the most out of your time.

Stay hydrated when you do this. Do not pack down carbs like sugar and junk. Use protein within 30-60 minutes after each exercise cycle.
This discussion has been closed.