Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What type of Pain Meds

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was wondering what kind of meds people were on after surgery, how long people were on pain meds after their surgeries(and what surgery).

I will start it off- I am not having my second surgery until sept 21st. I am taking 5/500mg Vicoden and Flexiril. The problem is my pain doctor only prescribes vicoden and I have unfortunately developed a large tolerance to this medication and have to take 4-5 at a time 2-3 times a day. So I run out and I am cosntantly withdrawing and spend a week and a half to two weeks with no pain meds and my pain is a consistent 8 on the 1-10 pain scale.

I am having a 360 lumbar fusions at L3/4 to L4/5 on Sept 21st, 2011.

• you will be in pain now .and you should be on strong pain killers from your doctor {as i am } i too have built a tolerance to pain meds but its normal after years of pain .i would not worry too much as long as you are only taking meds for pain .and not just taking then because you want too..i get my meds every two weeks.and as you can see on my signature like ..its a lot .of meds .i am hoping to be able to cut down after my ALIF ..not immediately of course but if all goes well after 12 months or so be able to cut down with the help of my doctor .i know i am not going to be able to just stop as i would have horrible withdrawals and as i am in constant pain {like you are} i still need them .if you are worried about your drug consumption then have an honest talk with your doctor .he/she will be able to give you what you need to keep your pain under control and stop you from going in to withdrawal .its a hard thing to manage bu not impossible .good luck
    tony {uk}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Is it possible to see another pain management doc?

I have been a patient with pain management since around 2005.

There are so very many options to manage pain. Mine told me it was 'like a grocery store" in terms of avalability to manage pain.

One of the biggest medical concerns with taking the amount of Vicodin you are taking is the amount of tylenol that is in it. Exceeding the max daily amount can lead to liver failure.

What about taking something for nerve pain. Nerve pain, as you know, is very different than musculoskeletal pain, and narcotics don't work on nerve pain.

Lyrica, neurontin and Cymbalta are types of meds that help with nerve pain.

I am on oxycodone (as my pain doc didn't want me on vicodin long term), flexeril, neurontin and cymbalta.

On days that are really bad, I also use a gel called biofreeze. It doesn't last long, but is a distractant...

Hope this helps! I really would recommend finding a new doc especially before you go into surgery!

Wishing you the best!
  • I'm sorry to hear you've built up such a tolerance for your pain meds that you are having trouble getting any relief.

Unfortunately, I'm in a similar situation. 20+ years of back pain from some sort of problem where my vertebrae broke on both sides, and I don't even know how or when.

I have just gone through my second round of back fusion at L5 S1 because the first doctor messed up and the fusion failed. Sadly, I have yet to find a pain medication that has helped me - ever. I've never been put on pain medication on a regular basis because I give up after a week or three of trying one out.

This surgery alone, I've gone from percocet out of the hospital to dilaudid on top of valium, since no other muscle relaxer works for me because I've built up a resistance.

I go back to my surgeon tomorrow for an emergency visit because of the intense amount of pain I'm in to see what other options I have for relief. I'm just thankful that he's working with me on this.

I've been to so many doctors who think I just want pills, when I don't even take them once I realize they don't work. Even the pain clinic just wanted to keep putting needles in my back, making it worse.

Please find yourself a doctor that will work with you on your pain relief. It has taken me 20 years to find one, and I am so thankful for it.

God Bless and I will pray for you and your relief!

• Vicoden 5/500mg...6 tablets (3000mg) a day is the liver toxicity limit specified by the FDA recently. You need to have a discussion with the doctor prescribing this medication to you. They can decrease the acetaminophen in each tablet to 325mg.

• although I was taking lyric, neurontin, percocet,Xanax, vicodan and Valium, I got off all pain meeds 7-8 weeks prior to sugary. I kne from having a prior surgery almost 24 hrs ago that the pain can be killer and that I wanted the pain meeds to work post-
    Op for this surgery. I have lived with debi
    Orating pin for so long, so, what's a couple more months. Best decision I could have made. In the hosp I was generously given, dilaudid, morphine, etc but it made me scratchy and nuts, and just wanted to go home and take two percocets every 4 hour. Was taking about ten a day and then week three lowered to 10 vicodans during the 24 hour period. As of three days ago, I am taking 3-4 a day and am feeling darn good. Don' flip out because he pain. The doctor wants you comfortable so you can walk around easier and feel better faster. I wish you good luck and as pain-free surg as possible.
    Best regards

Ps just finished 1 month post op and doing pretty damn well amaziing