Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal decompression for L5-S1 cenral disc protrusion?

deeja82ddeeja82 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, Ive spend the past few hours reading various posts on this website and with enough courage, here i am :)

A little bit about my history. Im 28 years old. I was diagnosed in 2002 with grade one spondylolisthesis at L5/S1 after severe pain my lower back and numbness in my leg. After a year of physio my back pain improved but my leg/s pain has become worse. this past june i had another MRI and these are the results:

L4-L5: mild symmetrical bulge of the annulus fibrosis with no significant protrusion or encroachment on spinal canal.

L5-S1: large central disc protrusion encroaching on the thacal sac and both neural formina. there is marked spinal stenosis at this level.

SO my doctor gave me an anti-inflammatory and a mild muscle relaxant with codine for the pain. both of which dont help. i can barley walk a few minutes before my legs and feet go numb and not the mention the extreme pain as the muscle cramp up. I have looked into many options and am very confused as to what i can do to. I have looked into spinal decompression and after just two sessions i stopped because of severe back pain. (i think the chiro was just out to make a quick buck. he put me on 65-75 lbs!)

what options work other then surgery. (I have a neuro surgeon appt on the 12th of september). alot of people have mentioned that chiro helped..what kind of treatment did they receive from their chiro? i see that there is a trend that shows that physio didnt help. beside meds what options are there? I live in canada so i dont know if my options are the same. I find that no doctor tells me what i could do other then perscibe meds. Im looking into spinal decompression again because it seems promising in theory but everyone uses different machines so im confused. any help would be greatly appreciated.

regrads

advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have come to a great place to get your questions answered both by the site and by other spineys!! please have a good look around and and make yourself at home.. good luck with your upcoming appointment..i would see this doctor before getting any work done by a chiro.. sometimes they can make a back or neck condition worse.. stop by the forum anytime! check out the "Back and Neck surgery forum" for more input as well.. Jenny :)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    You found a great site here.
    I have found a lot of info here and the articles and forums are so informative.
    Hopefully you will find the info and encouragement from others beneficial.

With my situation, doc gave me several epidurals.. really only one worked lessening the pain of my right foot.
    It's not easy figuring out what relieves pain and what has no effect..or worsens it.

It's good you keep communicating with your doc.
    Good luck to you and keep in touch!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I also live in Canada and my family Dr. ordered and EMG/nerve test for my leg to show nerve compression coming from the herniated disc. Then the Neurologist who did the test referred me to an Orthosurgeon then went on to Pain Management for injections but once you see the Neurosurgeon they will let you know if you're a candidate for surgery and may refer you to Pain Management.

My Family Dr. orders my medications so you need to let your Dr. know the pain if your meds aren't helping and get a nerve pain med. I started with Amitriptyline then moved onto Lyrica then Cymbalta for the leg pain.

I just noticed you have an appointment for a Neurosurgeon.

Physiotherapy may help in the meantime for pain control as they do decompression also if your Dr. okays it.

I'm seeing a Chiropractor but no adjustments with a herniated disc, but am getting inferential treatment which is helping with the swelling in my back. http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/specific-questions-ask-your-spine-surgeon. http://www.spine-health.com/blog/pain/38-questions-ask-your-surgeon-having-back-surgery I hope you can get some pain relief when the Neurosurgeon sees you. Take care and ice 15 minutes a few times a day and heat may help also. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN