Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thoracic burst fracture and pregnancy

aeveretteaaeverette Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right place or not. My name is Amy, and on 4/23/2010 I was in an accident and fractured t3, t4, burst fracture on t5 and broke my right scapula. On 4/28/2010, they did a fusion and I have bilateral rods from t2-t8. I am constantly struggling with pain! Of course the pain is nothing compared to a year ago, but I feel like I have plateaud(sp?). I am also 23 weeks pregnant, so little things that gave me relief before such as lying flat or pain meds or out of the question now. They say I could could continue w percocet, but id rather not for my babys sake. My issue with my OB is that he does not want me to have a csection, but a vaginal birth. I would prefer a csection bc I am terrified that labor will move something or cause my back pain to be so much worse. I have been through too much recovery with my back and still struggling to have a Dr not be able to 100% assure me that everything will be ok. I feel like he is dismissive of my concerns due to cost of vaginal vs. Csection, bc he has not even looked at my xrays from my back surgery. Should I be worried or trust his judgement? I have military ins, tricare, and they make it hard to get second opinions and referred to other drs.

Any information would be helpful. I feel like I have nowhere to turn or anywhere to get information bc the only drs I can see are on base and they don't want to refer me to anyone off base. My surgery was done in NC and we are currently in CA, so unfortunately I see none of the same drs.


  • You do have a spine specialist, correct? What is your spine doctors opinion of how you should deliver? I would think his thoughts would supersede the OB in this case?


  • Amy it sounds like you have been transferred since your fusion. Have you seen a spine doctor since your pregnancy started? I agree you should talk to a spine doctor. I understand that the OB is pushing vaginal births but you have some time. I would pay out of pocket for a consult with another OB just to feel safe and make sure you are working with your spine doctor. I am sure you will come to an acceptable agreement.

  • I do not have a spine specialist since we have moved to California. I've asked to be referred, but my ins doesn't work like that. My primary care physician told me there was nothing that could really be done until after the pregnancy as far as xrays and stuff and then she would refer me out to make sure everything was ok. I did call my neurosurgeon that operated on me last year, but he didn't seem to want to get involved since I haven't been under his care recently.
  • I would do your own research and see about finding a neurosurgeon in your area. That is what I did to find my surgeon. I did a google search for top ranked hospitals in the US for their dept of NS, and UPenn was #14 in the country. I live only an hour and a half away, so I decided to go with them. Does your insurance require referrals from your PCP to see a specialist? If so, I would just be straight forward with your PCP. Tell her that you want an opinion from a neurosurgeon PRIOR to delivery. Give her the name and number of the surgeon you've chosen, and tell her you'd appreciate a referral. You really have to be proactive in your own care if you want to get the desired results. Also, make sure you have your records from your previous neurosurgeon sent to the new one.
  • Excellent advice Kim :)

    Many doctors are so afraid of loosing patients they wont do the right thing with the referral.

    I had a premie (11 weeks early) my OB refused to send me to a specialist.... The day she was sending be home for the seond time in two weeks for preterm labor(checking me out of the hospital she wasn't on duty and another doctor gave me an exam).... I was 9 cm dialated and had my daughter a few hours later. Instead of going home for more bed rest I was rushed to a different hospital in am ambulance. Had I seen a specialist my baby wouldn't have had to spend 6 weeks in NICU hooked up to tons of machines.

    Listen to your body and remember that the doctor works for you.

    Good luck,
  • I hope you can find another opinion from a High risk OB Dr. Is there any special Womens hospital in your area? Maybe your Family Dr. could refer you to a High Risk OBs Dr.? Many hospitals with High risk Pregnancy programs have these OBS Specialists and you can check them even online in your area. I also hope you find another Neurosurgeon in your area. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
Sign In or Register to comment.