Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 level ACDF

gramato3ggramato3 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
HI I am new to this and am not sure what i am doing(computer illiterate) This coming thursday(25th) I am having 3 level acdf surgery. I am in an awful lot of pain with numbness abd tingling and know that it is what i really need. Hope I didn't wait too long. My question is after surgery i know they will get me right up and on my feet. I s there a lot of pain involved and for very long. I have heard all kinds of time spans and need an idea. I know each one is different, but can I get an idea, has anyone had this and how long before i can watch my 20 month old grandson again? Thank you .

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many multi-level fusions including myself. As far as recovery goes it will depend on the reason they are doing the surgery, wether or not a hard brace is used, and what type of bone graft your using. One thing to consider when it comes to watching your grandson, is you more than likely won't be able to lift anything more than a gallon of milk for the first 6 weeks. You wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize your healing as the revision surgery is far worse than the ACDF.

Also you have to consider your current physical state as to how long recovery will be. Of course there are things you can do to help your recovery such as walk. Look on the net for walking and programs and start as soon as you get home. A good one is 10,000 steps. The other thing is to eat a well balanced meal to encourage healing. Also it will be dependent on how long you need pain meds, and when it is safe to drive. Some are off meds in a few days while others it is different, but that equates back to what the surgery is for, and wether or not you have permanent nerve damage or myelopathy.

If your family needs a time line, I would suspect no less than 6 weeks at the earliest. Good luck on surgery and keep us posted as to how you get along. Take care. Once again welcome to spine-health.
  • I am 10 weeks post 3-level anterior cervical discectomy. I have been in a cervical collar aka neck brace for the entire time. I have been off the hardcore pain medication for about 3 weeks now. I still need flexiril for my back spasms at night. I also have fibromyalgia so I experience additional pain issues. I cannot drive with the brace and I am a working mother of three school-aged children. Initially, I did not care because I was entirely focused on my pain and recovery. However, I see the clouds opening and my pain receding in the distance. You will need strong support for the duration of your recovery including no cooking or housework. You should expect to let others wait on you and work on being healed. That is your job. Be sure whomever will be your caretaker goes with you to your pre-operative appointments so they can hear from the doctor's mouth what you will need. Pay attention to your pain and feelings. If you can, journal your pain levels and medication use. This is information you will need for your post operative appointments and while you are in the hospital. Ask all and any questions you think of because it's your body! Take care and God Bless you. You are in good hands!