Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I suggest dealing with depression before surgery

zigazziga Posts: 143
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I guess maybe this is obvious for must of you people. Just want to suggest that it is very important to be at least stable in some areas before surgery. Have a place to stay for a while if you don't have your own, if you are studying do what you need to do before the surgery for example ask for time off, or do it in summer if it is an option. If you broke up with someone you love, try to heal that before surgery. Be sure that you are doing surgery for all the important medical reasons not to proof that you are really in pain. Well and all the other suggestions that are post here. Don't let fear stop all your dreams. Sometimes fear paralyzed us before the body does.

I understand everybody is different.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    the end.
    There are thousands of people that go through spinal surgery as well as many other surgeries without having to even think about depression or getting things stable.

The only people that would probably benefit from something like this are those that are not all that stable and/or have total fear about surgery.

Its really not necessary to alarm those or make them think they should be alarmed.

I can understand some of what you are saying, but in the future, please word things in a different way.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Sorry my idea is not to alarm. I know people that have had surgery and are ok. I guess it has to do with my personal story. I was no stable in different areas before surgery, I thought it was the pain causing the depression, but there were other factors. I want the community to know that I am aware that pain could lead also to depression so good results from surgery can mean that you finally will be better

• I agree about the part that in some cases depression sometimes can cause persons pain and thats usualy why dr,s are usualy aware of this to make sure depression is not the main cause of there pain. It works both ways. Pain can cause depression or depression can cause pain.

It is very important for dr to know because if its the depression thats causing it then depression should be treated first which might help a patients pain and posibly avoid surgery.

But with any person with no history of depression but pain is clearly causing them to be depressed would be normal. And then surgery if it releives the pain should help get over the depression i would think,

But a person would have to be suffering from severe depression doing surgery just to prove they are in pain. I think thats the reason they make a patient talk to a shrink before having a scs trial or the pain pump trial to make sure its done for the right reason.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,