Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery finally coming

aztankeraaztanker Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi everyone! I'm sorry it has been so long since I was on here, but let me re-fresh you all. I was injured in Aug '09 at work. I ruptured disc between L4-L5, have the L3-L4 bulging with sciatic impingement on left side. After all the red tape with the work comp people, I was placed with a surgeon of supposed high ratings. Upon seeing him, he said that not only did I have injury from fall, I also had DDD. After about 9 months of seeing him, MANY injections of all types (epidural series, facet injections, and even a radio frequency nerve ablation), Nothing worked for more than a day or two. In January this year, I slipped on the ice in my driveway and landed on my butt. I, being honest, told surgeon i fell and was told that it was no longer considered work comp and now it was a "new injury" and that he could still treat me but on pvt insurance. Since then, I have gotten my own family dr to refer me to a different surg. After Mri, he concluded that now not only was L4/L5 ruptured, so was L3/L4 and severe bulging to the right which is pinching the nerve to the point of a completely numb left leg. He then informed me that not only was this more than likely the original injury, but now surgery is inevitable. Just updating you all on the fact that I now am scheduled for fusion of both areas on the 20th of October 2011. Thank you all for your help in the past. I now am needing some success stories as my wife is very worried about the procedure.

• best of luck to you with your surgery. after 2 years dealing with what you've been dealing with it'll be nice to have some relief. i was fused L4-S1 and now am dealing with chronic pain issues. this isn't due to this surgery perSe but the cumulative effect of having 4 surgeries. most people are helped by surgery, and hopefully you will be one of them!
  • Thanks for commenting! I am very sorry to hear you are still in pain after this amount of time. I had 6 different re-constructive surgeries on my legs after being in an explosion in Iraq in '03. I was told I would never walk again and that pain was forever inevitable. Well, I walk fine with a cane, however, pain is pretty bad all the time. After awhile, I kind of got used to it. I only feel it on cold, damp days or when I am on my feet for too long. Good luck to you and thanks again for your support.
  • Sorry to hear of your fall and I wonder if you said your leg gave out on you when you fell on ice I think that would be considered to have been caused by the original injury? Or could have been caused by the original injury but think you would need legal council for this. I'm glad you found this new Surgeon and hope he can help with this upcoming surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • If your surgeon wrote in the records that it is still considered work comp, will your insurance company even pay for it, and was that information forwarded to work comp. If you want your insurance to pay for it, be sure not to make such a big deal about the work comp. I am hoping you have a attorney, whom is dealing with all of that, as you don't need the extra stress being in chronic pain and dealing with that mess. As all of it can get quit confusing and usually the patient is left out in the cold so to speak.

Sorry to hear about your legs and the explosion, but thank you for the service to the country. I am sure after going through all of that you will be just fine in surgery. It sounds as though your already a chronic pain patient so you kind of know the drill on how it works. Stay positive and trust me there are many here whom surgery has helped, but they don't post as they are out living normal busy everyday lives now.

Keep us posted on how you make out and as your surgery approaches. Look at the top of the page at the FAQ section and there is a link of 38 questions to ask a spine surgeon, see what of those questions you can answer, and might lead you to more questions to either ask here or the surgeon. Also at the top of the surgery forum, is list of things you will need post-op to help you and your wife. Anyway good luck and keep us posted.
  • Thanks for advice! As far as the work comp/pvt insurance problem, Pain has gone on for years, but main cause of the intense pain and nerve issues was in '09. The new surgeon has stated that he believes the fall to be caused in some way by the original injury, however nothing is on paper about it. The insurance we have now through my wife's work is, for the moment, paying the medical bills on this and will be covering about 90% of the surg itself so I think I will continue this route as I get along much better with the surgeon. Great to hear from you both! (Charry, its been awhile! Glad you're still here.) Tamtam, I appreciate your help as well! Thanks for info about questions to ask surgeon. When he said that surgery is inevitable, I basically went mute and forgot to ask him much of anything. lol. And, You're welcome, I was glad to do it and would do it again if I could.