Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i am new here so i hope to find info to help me deal with DDD.

blackfoot62bblackfoot62 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
hello i am a newbee and i am seeking support and info for my troubled back and neck. in 2001 i began to have chronic pain in my lumbar and cervical reigons. i was 39 years old when it began. i worked hard labor in the construction industry for 22 years mostly as a laborer on a roofing crew. at first i took only tylenol for the pain. then in 2005 i found out i had a bulging disc at c6-c7. the neurosurgeon said i had 60% cord compression so he done a disectomy and used bone from my hip to graft it. being a 31 year 2 pack a day smoker caused failed fusion. then in 2008 i had L4-S1 fused with 6 screws and 2 rods, by this time i had gotten up to morphine for pain. it failed also. i went to a different surgeon who told me i had DDD and it would keep on going till i was fused from tailbone to skull if it kept up. he told one surgery would just lead to another. i am now 48 and i only take nabutome {an nsaid} tylenol and lyrica. i have no reflexes at anywhere the seem to check, my legs are constantly in pain, i feel as if my spine is going to fall out. my right arm and shoulder hurt and tingle all the time. i am sure someone out there probably knows about this better than me but my quality of life is almost null. the surgeon told me i have several more degenerated and bulging discs in both the lumbar and the cervical reigons. in time i will be toally crippled. no cure in sight yet? i tried epidural injections and it caused my mental problems as i am bipolar. so the surgeon sent me to a pain mngt clinic and the gave me norco 10/325, but i don't like being druged up so i decided to just stay on the nabutome and wait and see. thanks for listening and any advice is welcome.

• Sorry to hear you have so much pain. I think it's great that you were able to stop taking morphine. The hardest part of medication is the more we take, the more we need. Knowing I have at least 2 more fusions coming, I will need them more then. Just getting a Dr. who is willing to prescribe has been a nightmare. I also have DDD. I started out with a lumbar laminectomy about 8 years ago at L3. Three years later I had a lumbar fusion at L3 with cages and grafting compound. Three years ago I had a cervical fusion C3-C7 with rods and screws. Now, I have been in chronic pain for almost 1 year with lumbar spine. Seeing a surgeon Monday. The disk above cages is herniated and the one below is ruptured. Cervical fusion also needs to be extended I have so much nerve damage that I don't have much feeling in arms and legs. I know exactly how you feel. My life has been destroyed. Just going for a car ride is painful. One of the hardest things to accept is so much isolation. I don't think family and friends really believe how bad it is. They say it's depressing. I basically can't go anywhere or do anything. Been having a hard time just getting out of bed. This is not living. Fortunately, I found a therapist close by that has experience in treating people with all of these issues. Sounds like your Dr. gave you the cold hard truth. It's all a vicious cycle of pain and depression. I honestly believe there are a lot more of us out there and many have given up. It helps to hear we're not alone. I can only take it as it comes. I hope our futures will be brighter soon.