Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone taking Cymbalta?

Robyn c5c6RRobyn c5c6 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
Percocet, Soma, Naproxyn, epidurals, facet joint injections, PT and chiropractic are not controlling my back and neck pain. Today, the doc started me on Cymbalta, 1) because it can help with pain and 2) because chronic pain is really taking a toll on me emotionally. Wondering if anyone has had any luck with Cymbalta helping their pain?

• First off I hate you're suffering so & pray you find relief soon!

I was given Cymbalta for 2 reason:

1- Prevent depression due to insomnia being so severe I might end up going down that slippery slope

2- I take Cymbalta for pain, yes, but nerve pain. I always thought my low back damage was horrible that was until I damaged my neck. The nerve damage in both low back & neck was still there after surgery. But, the neck pain couldn't be controlled until I started taking Cymbalta. I take 60mg 3x day. Recently I was backed off of several meds to find out which on was causing an odd side effect. After a week of reduced dose of Cymbalta my nerve pain was completely unbearable.

I'm not sure if Cymbalta is used for other pains but it really helped those area's that nerve damage had occurred! I do know it should help the roller coaster of emotions should slow down with the meds!

I'm praying it helps you!

Traci Mac
  • i take cymbalta too. it was prescribed to me for nerve pain primarily, and mood secondarily. i am finding it is helping in both instances.
  • I take 60mg day but any higher dose brings my blood pressure up. It works well for my leg pain and sciatica and it's also approved for chronic low back pain and its an anti-depressant. So far the best nerve pain med I've tried. I hope it helps you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was prescribed cymbalta firstly for my anxiety, with the hopes that it would help with my pain as well. It's also prescribed for depression (it's main function), fibro, neuropathy, OA and back pain.

It has been the best anti-depressant so far for me. I just recently lowered my dose of both cymbalta and gabapentin, as I wasn't sure if they were actually working or not, and my doctor and I want to try another med, topomax. I haven't started the topomax yet, and I can tell you, they were both helping me so much. Where my overall pain (I have multiple issues with neck, back, leg and knees) was at a daily average of 5ish, it's now back to about a 7. I know a lot of the help was from cymbalta, as I've been on gabapentin for 2 years, and have altered my doses a couple of different times (both increase and decreases), and did notice a positive change when I started the cymbalta last October.

So for me, I've come to the conclusion that the combo of both meds has been successful in my pain control, and the cymbalta for my anxiety and depression.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I guess I didn't react well to the Cymbalta. He started me on 60mg every other day for the first week, I took my first dose yesterday at 1pm and by 6pm, I was shaking, sweating, the room started to spin. I spent the next 7 hours vomiting and sweating. I still can only keep down sips of water. I called the doc to let him know what happened. Needless to say, I will NEVER try Cymbalta again, I thought I was going to the ER. Anyone else ever have this, I looked it up and it looks like a common side effect. I see the doc next week and he mentioned Gabapentin and Lyrica as alternatives but I am very nervous now!
  • I tried it for a few days, thought the symptoms would ease but they never did, it was horrible. I was hoping it worked for me because I have heard so many great things about it but it made me very very sick. I don't know if its just my body not accepting it because I have tried other anti-depressants (celexa) and had the same problem, so maybe its something in them that my body doesn't like... I don't know. I now take Vicodin 5/500 every 6 hours and Flexeril 10mg 1 at night time, it makes me to tired to take during the day.

Everyone, good luck with your pain levels... hope they are all down to a minimum.

• I was prescribed Cymbalta, primarily for nerve pain but also to help with the depression that was setting in at not being able to work or feel like I contributed much at home. I took it and had good results with it for both issues. HOWEVER... there's always a however, unfortunately.

About 10 months ago the company that handles prescriptions for our health insurance company had what they termed a "computer glitch" with my account. They could see that I had a prescription, and there was nothing wrong with my coverage -- but for some reason they could not process my prescriptions through their system without an error code. I was assured it would be fixed -- within a WEEK. Same with another prescription; I should just pay the $270 for the 7 pills and get reimbursed when they fixed the problem, or better yet, just get my doctor to change it to a cheap drug. As if all drugs are interchangeable... amazing.

Needless to say, I was forced to go off of the Cymbalta cold turkey, and it caused what were without question some of the worst 6 weeks of my life. Fever, nausea, sweats, vomiting, muscle aches, lethargy -- and most disturbingly, feelings of rage (not focused at anyone or anything, just rage) and truly feeling so sick I would rather die. PCP and PM both waved it off when I told them about it, nobody had ever complained to them. One actually told me to go back on it, then taper off -- AS IF.

No way will I EVER take it again. Yes, it was a great drug for my nerve pain and depression, and I know it's great for many others as well, BUT I have to say that for me the withdrawal was ungodly. (There's a big online community of people who have suffered severe withdrawal symptoms, including suicidal ideation, when discontinuing Cymbalta.)

Tapering off of Cymbalta can be a big problem for two reasons:

1) It has a long half-life, meaning it stays in your bloodstream for a long time, so you think after a day without it you're doing ok, then *pow* withdrawal starts to hit, you feel miserable and take another dose.

2) There really are no small tapering doses of the drug. You go from 30 mg directly to zero -- too much of a drop too fast. (Please, DON'T try to open and split up capsules yourself, it's a dangerous thing to do!)

Now, not everyone is the same, and I'm sure a lot of people have had no real problems coming off of Cymbalta. My problems were compounded tenfold by the WAY in which I had to stop taking this drug, i.e. cold turkey.

But if you ever want or need to stop taking the drug, especially if you take higher doses (I maxed at 90 mg, although they had wanted me to move up to 120 mg), ask you doctor to monitor you closely and come up with a good tapering plan. (Every-other-day dosing doesn't necessarily work well because the drug stays in your system so long.)

This post details my own personal experience with Cymbalta. I also simply want to caution people about trying to discontinue their medications on their own, or without a tapering schedule. I'd hate for one more person to go through what I had to endure, that's for darn sure.

Best wishes to all.
  • Hi I take 60 mg of Cymbalta for nerve pain and lumbar pain, it works wonders. However, at one point my insurance stopped paying for it and after three days with no medication oh my the brain zaps started horrible I had never felt like that when I stopped any other medication. The doctor tried to replace it with wellbutrin which does nothing for pain, but my insurance would cover and he was hoping it would help the withdrawal, but it didn't.
    It is like with any medication you have to weigh the pros and cons, I finally went to a friend of mine who is a doctor and he gave me samples of cymbalta to get me through.
    Although the withdrawals are awful, the pain relief from the nerve pain is wonderful, because without it my pain is doubled. I will always have nerve damage it isn't going anywhere, so I will always have to take the cymbalta, to help me get through my days.
    I do agree tho the withdrawals are awful and if you are going to stop taking any drug you need to be monitored by a doctor and follow their directions
    Have a great pain free day