Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

having artificial Disc Replacement next week,terrified!

Lynn8LLynn8 Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Not to sound like the biggest baby but I'm terrified about this surgery. My situation is not good as I can no longer stand or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time.
After my surgeon explained the possible complication's of going through a front (stomach) approach I'm just so scared. I know this is happening and I know I can't live this way but the fear is so bad,crying every day! I do not smoke,take any type of drugs and have worked out my entire life. I know I should feel confidant but the fear of something bad has just taken over my thoughts.
Wondering if anyone who has been through this can offer any advise,I want to be stronger about this!

L-5S1 full collapsing
Confirmed discogenic pain
Endoscopic surgery 10/2010 for nerve repair
Only take advil

• You are going through with the surgery, so you are brave. It is more than normal to be scared about major surgery. I haven't had lumbar surgery, but I have had abdominal surgery. Yes, it sucks, but it did get better with time and following doctor orders. You have some positives going in - you don't smoke, you haven't taken drugs, and you have worked out which makes you stronger going in.

Let us know how you're doing.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • :H
    Thanks I will try and stay strong. I'm driving my husband crazy lol w/ all this crying. My surgeon was very graphic about the seriousness of it all and risk (which I understand he had too) but it left me REALLY scared!!

Thanks so much!!
  • its no wonder you are scared but like i have said many times .once that cannula is in the back of your hand .you wont remember a thing .i do think that you will need a stronger pain killer post op though .ADR is what i wanted but my spine is unable to support the implants so i will have to settle for ALIF surgey on 3 levels {L4/L5/S1}and just like your operation they will be going in through the front and back {on me}.we are brave but we have to be good luck my friend
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • good morning Lynn, i want to reassure you about your upcoming surgery. i have been exactly where you are minus the extreme nervousness, dont get me wrong just as any surgery is a risk, you need to concentrate on what the final result will be, and that is a road to a better life. i had a 3 level adr anterior approach much like you 3 yrs ago. i have never been better as a direct result of surgery. my pain went from the area of the herniated discs to my belly it was instant relief. here is how it all went down the shortened version, friday morning i was operated on 7;30 am 4 1/2 hours later i was done and in recovery, i did take a while to come out of anesthesia its just the affect it has on me as an individual. after getting into my room later that night i did sleep for another whole day, so it wasn't till saturday till i saw the light of day. i was up and out of bed to use bathroom but still a bit groggy, but by sunday morning i was up ate breakfast and by noon i was walking the halls with physical therapy and only an IV pole in hand. i stayed one more day and was walking the fire escape stairs at end of hallway before going home tuesday morning. one of the things i can tell you however you are getting home have some pillows in the car to comfort you cause the ride home was pretty rough, every bump felt like the grand canyon.....lol if you would like to know more feel free to contact me , either find me in chat or contact me via email mjdub@me.com my name is mike.

oh and please dont stress yourself out it will only make your recovery a longer drawn out process, have confidence in the doctors you have chose to do this. keep smiling and good luck with all that you have to go through, I'm here if you need me anytime, Mike :)
  • =D>
    Thanks so much Tony and Mike,your advice has really helped.
    Tony I really hope u will get the relief,I know the pain all to well,it's been tough!
    Mike your story is amazing and I understand what u are saying,I will really try to pull my self together. I'm so happy for you that it went so well!! I hope I will too! I will be sure to update and let everyone know how this goes. Maybe I can give some one else some advice and get them through it. Your story really helped me allot!!!

Thanks again!!