Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion over 3 years ago- contemplating spinal cord stimulator

LadyhurtsalotLLadyhurtsalot Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
~X( :''( After over 3 years, I have been suffering from excrutiating hip pain and thigh pain. After a MRI this past week, my surgeon said that the fusion looked good as well as the other discs. I will go through some useless epidurals and then he will try one of the spinal cord stimulator. Has anyone had one of those and if so how is it working for you! :S

• hello Ladyhurtsalot, yes i have dual neurostimulators . i had gone through a 3 level disc replacement 3 yrs ago and nerve damage never fully subsided which i knew going into this, so i needed to take it one step further, and much like you mentioned i have also many epidurals like 13 of them, none of which i ever really got great relief from. so the next step was SCS, how did i ever do without these devices, it is awesome. so much that i have taken myself off all meds. i hope you find much of the same result.

have you gone through a trial yet ? what type device will be used?

• Hi Mike! Thanks for your words of encouragement!! I had my psych eval last Thursday and just waiting for the docs to schedule the trial! Never been to a "shrink" before- boy wasn't that a trip! The session only lasted abou 15 minutes! He told me that apparently I had been doing a lot of research on this and he let me go!! So, I am super stoked about this procedure! I am a very positive person and I just know it is going to work!! And with results like yours I am even more positive! So, how long were you out of work because I am not a homebody and I love to work. Very stubborn too! Any tips, or info I Nextel know please tell me! Thanks a bunches!
  • Hello~
    I had my fusion surgery March 2011. I had no choice, could barely walk. I worked in PA, and after 3 months they have to terminate you. So, I lost my job that I loved and had for 13 years. I am still in alot of pain, and take way too many meds. I went to PT for over 3 months. Now I can't afford to go anymore since I am also paying Cobra. The last time I went to the Dr. a couple of weeks ago, they want to try epidoral again. It failed the 1st time prior to surgery. If that doesn't work, they want to try to stimulator. I am petrified of it! I have heard some good stories, but went on YOUTUBE and watched some videos that people posted about it, and it seemed just as much as a procedure and length of healing as the fusion. I didn't see many good results there at all. I can't deal with the pain, depression and loss of my life to be quite honest. I am scared to do this and end up worse. I am usually a very upbeat person and pain tolerant but this has kicked my a**! Thanks for "listening!"
  • Cindy, I am so tired of hurting as well. My pain is worse at night or if I travel a good distance. It feels like a severe toothache in my hips and lower back. I have heard a lot of good things about the SCS and I am just hoping that it will work! I am positive about it. I cannot tolerate any kind of pain meds. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to make my apptmt for the trial part of the stimulator. Just waiting on the doc!! I will definitely let you know how it works out!!! Praying for you!!! Vent anytime you need to!!! Have a great night!!
  • Yes, Please let me know how you make out while you go through the process. Are you or have you done any epidorals yet? My Dr. wants me to do that first. While I am all for trying something before the stimulator, I just feel like it is a waste of time. But, who knows, mayybe I can get lucky! =) I still find it so hard to believe that I am in this situation. Originally, before the surgery, I was telling my co-workers that I heal fast, and would be back to work in no time. HA, maybe I jinxed myself. So, what exactly did you have done? Did you have a second opinion before the surgery, or even after? The reason I am asking, is everyone is pushing me (family/friends) to get another opinion before going any further. I feel as if it is black and white and don't feel it is neccessary, but maybe I am being foolish. Do you or are you able to work? I think I mentioned earlier that I lost my job due to this. I am now applying for SSD. My disability agent told me to. Geez, I feel so young (44) but yet feel so old at the same time. I miss my old life so much. Are you able to drive? I can't, due to meds and also pain. When I am a passenger, I am in agony after about 5 minutes in the car. Over 15 minutes, ridiculous pain. I did get a heating blanket that plugs into the car and believe me, it helps! Still pain, but makes it more bearable. Just a tip, if you think it may help you. My pain seems to be the worst in the morning. I get up early, and can't function for at leat 4 hours till my meds get a chance to kick in. Do you have any hobbies to help pass time? Sorry for all the questions...just happy to find someone that can relate. I feel like such a whiner sometimes to my family, especially my in-laws. I just don't think they realize what exactly I am going through. They live almost an hour away, and I can't always visit them when my husband goes, if it is a bad day. OK, enough rambling. Good luck with everything...I truly hope this all works out for you.(keeping my fingers crossed!)
  • Hi Cindy!! Well, I got the call today! My SCS trial is scheduled for the 26th of March!! To answer some of your questions, yes I still drive and work. I am a work-a-holic even when in excruciating pain. If I wasnt working i think I would go crazy. My pain is worse at night which prevents me from sleeping. i have taken every kind of sleeping pill available and they do not work on me. I tried Lunesta and never did see any butterflies!!!LOL!!! My only hobby is working. I am the manager of a retail clothing store and LOVE my job!!! My assistant can always tell when I am in pain because my nose turns red! Isn't that funny!!!! Other than that I hide it real well. I just really want to be able to totally enjoy life and my family without so much pain. And I really want to be able to rest at night. I am 48 years young and in pretty good shape other than my chronic back pain. I also hate to "whine" all of the time but sometimes you really need to vent. I will definately let you know how everything works out so you as well can get some relief!!!
  • Oh, I hope this works for you! Do you know how long they do the trial for?

I am getting another epidoral done, even though I don't really feel as if it will help. It is not scheduled yet, I have to get clearance from my cardiologist first. That appt. is Monday.

I have also heard of some kind of "drip" that they implant in you so it gives you meds to help the pain. I don't know much about this and truly hope it doesn't have to go that far..for either of us!

I know what you mean about working...I miss it so much! I really miss the socializing and all my friends there as well. I feel very alienated from everyone. My friends from work are coming to visit on Sunday, and I can't wait!

Keep me in touch and I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!!!
  • Well I did my SCS "test run" last week! And it really helped a lot! But boy can't I tell a huge difference after they removed it this past Monday! Severe pain! I hopefully will have it permanently implanted in a couple of weeks! I am so looking forward to being able to sleep again with no pain!!!! I highly recommend this for anyone that is suffering and have exhausted all other options!! I will say that the trial period was really tough because you had the device attached and you could only take sponge baths and you had to be very careful not to twist, turn, bend, or reach! And also I got crazy bored and wanted to go back to work because I was not hurting!!!!! But, like I said, I am back to hurting now and ready for the permanent one! Hope you are doing well and really think about trying this out!!!! I will keep you updated when I get the other one in!!!!!