Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Went to the doc about some severe pain and I'm LIVID!!!

wildfire_101wwildfire_101 Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I went to the PM doctor today b/c I have had some severe pain on lower right side of my back, butt cheek and thigh...It is getting to the point that i can't even walk or sit w/o having any horrific pain..Plus on top of that my upper lumbar back has been bothering me, aching and if i move just right it is painful and this is my L1-2 disc...In which this disc has been bulging since 2008...

I payed my $30 co-pay to hear i need to live with it and there isn't anything that anyone can do about the L1-2 disc problem, which he is 90% sure it is torn alot more now than before, and then says that is painful..well no s***! I can feel it...

As for the lower lumbar pain, in which i had a spinal fusion done in December 2010, he didn't even really assess it...he is so dead set on this neurostimulator implant for my RSD, he doesn't focus on anything else...I tried to tell the man that this isn't the problem right now.. my back hurts worse than my RSD leg and just live with it is not what i wanted or needed to hear... I even mentioned that maybe my SI joint might be inflamed, being that is what my PT told me to mention, and he didn't even give it a 2nd thought..

so i am wondering is there any other options out there for me? Injections are out b/c i have done them all and they never worked for me so i am not going to go through that all over again, not to mention they aren't cheap..Can anyone tell me anything about this situation? I couldn't get into the back doc for at least over a month, so he told me to call the PM doc b/c i could get in there alot earlier..and he was right...i just need some advice or information if anyone else has been through this..at this point i will listen to anything that anyone has to offer...I'd greatly appreciate it...

• I think it is safe to say you need to get a new set of eyes on things. I suggest you get a copy of your records from your current doctor and maybe ask your PM for referral to a second opinion.

As for the $30 co-pay feel blessed that is all. My NS doesn't bill insurances I have multiple coverage and never pay a dime out fo pocket with other providers but each visit with him is $190 out of pocket.

My PM gave me a ref for a second opinion that I will have as soon. This office bills insurance....

• If your currant pm is giving you a runaround, look for a neurologist/PM usualy there under anathesiology, they dont put people out for surgerys, except olcal or mild sedation, not where they intabate you, like for you fusion. Take all your records get copies of MRI, Ct, scans x rays... Did he offer any narcotics or opiates for pain on an ongoing basis?Many people doent like the idea of pain meds, but ther does come atime when you will probably need them. Y(Ou could still have some post op swelling or irritation from the metal, or still have a rupture or a nerve is pinched. I messed around for several years with neurosurgeons FUSE<FUSE<FUSE...NO NO NO, I was given only a 50/50 chance it would relieve any of my pain, and why spend $100 plus thousand on fusining(on my personal thoughts and feling for me, so I just kep going to PM after Pm since evan after my lamnectomy 10 years ago I had your symptoms exactly and they sugested SCS,I really didnt understand it and of course the internet was new so any info just came from the docs mouth, But now we have thesse wonderful sites like spine-health, with a wealth of info and everone here has been there done that bought the t shirt,lol. Any wayI had the scs trial in Nov10 w/pns perifrial nerve stimulator(where the lead is placed just under the skin over the ruptured or pinched area. Trust me I wish Id gotten the SCS years ago, but all the other PMs said only if your fuse first, making sure everyone gets their pockets filled ? The pns isnt quite working as well as we thought it should so I had a revision of the pns 2 months ago, then since that still didnt help I was sent to a neurologist/pain mgmt, and HE is GREAT, I had the pain pump trial, scared to death, and on a scale of 1-10 maybe 1, absoutly no sedation, just local numbing. Worked like a dream. I was to have the surgery today , but imy lovely insurance is dragging their feet as usual, so Im rescheduled for Oct 19th for a pain pump, Im tired of taking 10/325 2 tabs 4x a day, its just not cutting it any more, he tried me on .05 of methadone, and it knocked me on my butt for 2 days (1 pill). so when I went back to see him 2 weeks later I took 1 meth at 6pm, 2 hydros 6am saw him at 11:00 am and I was out of it, he said well obviously you cant handle oral opids, and my insurance wont coveranything but the hydrocodone or I pay full price for norco, or oxycotin, which Im tired of pills. The great thing about the pump is it will cover all the pain in your spine, and it goies directly to your brain, instead of the side effects of oral meds.Im keeping my SCS I love it for my legs. SOrry this was so long, and I hope i've answered some of your questions. THese are only my experiances, and how all this has efffedted me, for others it may be differant, whats right for one might not be right for all. GOod luck and sorry abut your pain, have you tried sleeping with a pillow between your knees and ankles to take some of the pressure off your spine? Rose backpainzz
  • for some reason it didnt all show up, so if you have questions feel free to pm me. Rose backpainzz
  • I'm with the others. If your doctor isn't looking at you seriously, you need to find (or should is the better word) a new doctor. I fell into a similar mess where my surgeon was blowing me off, but my body was "screaming" something is so NOT right!!! My body has been more "spot on" than anyone else, so I found another surgeon - or as Julie says...."another set of eyes" to look me over.

Remember, patient is a stinky word!! We are still the CUSTOMER!!! Stick with it, and if you aren't feeling that you're being assessed and diagnosed to your satisfaction, find another doctor. You aren't "Shopping", but are finding the doctor that knows what is going on - big difference there. I hope you find the right one soon.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am already on pain killers and have been for another condition for over a year now..I am not in anyway against them at all... but when i had surgery for my back he (the back doctor) took over my meds for post op care and still is...he also has me on valium as well.. but it is getting to the point now where the percocet doesn't really work anymore...it takes the edge off for a few but that is it...

I have always had a lets say back ache for lack of a better word ever since i have had surgery in December but just w/n the last month or 2 it is getting worse and almost unbearable and i have no idea what it is...Like i have said i am having trouble walking and sitting..and i am constantly up and down b/c can't be in the same position for to long...

Plus my upper lumber back is starting to hurt..that was a come and go thing before i had surgery though..and now it is an everyday, every hour type of pain..when i first found out that i had problems with my back i had 1 bulging disc at L5-S1(which was the worst of the 2)and 1 at L1-2 as well....and this was in 2008, not sure what the month was...so i dont know why the upper part is all of the sudden so painful..pretty much my whole lumber section hurts it just hurts worse in that area and where i had surgery at...

It is just getting so unbearable..I finally broke down and cried today b/c the pain was so bad and i couldn't take anything for it b/c i already had taken a pain killer about an hour and a 1/2 before that..I can't walk hardly and having trouble sitting...

Needless to say i just called my doctor's office, yes i know it is a Sunday, but I can leave a message today for her(his PA) on her voicemail and she'll get it 1st thing in the morning when she comes in and get back to me faster...so we'll see what happens tomorrow...I just can't take it anymore..I am going to give my doctor 1 more chance to try and fix this and/or at least figure out what is wrong and if he just shuns me off then i am going to see someone else about it..I have been telling months ago that i was still in alot of pain, so this isn't anything really new it just now has gotten worse and it won't go away...I am already in PT and that just makes it worse, the more PT that i do... I am just totally baffled as to what is going on inside there...

And thank you for the responses i appreciate it.. and i got to vent a little too..lol I know my husband gets tired of hearing it.. he doesn't say anything but i can just tell..i know he feels sorry for me and wishes he could do something but there isn't anything he can do...and i think he feels kind of "guilty" or "useless"if thats makes sense...Hopefully I'll be able to get into the back doctor soon when she calls me back tomorrow...fingers crossed....
  • with everyone. Please try to go and see someone else for a new opinion. Can you call your surgeon to see if you can go on a cancellation list if there is a one month wait, and explain your pain situation.

My pain was just dismissed as yours was, from my neuro so am now going back to my orthopedic surgeon as my pain is the same or worse than before surgery.

Have you had any recent MRI's or other tests for your L1/L2 ?

Wishing you all the best. Please don't give up looking for help. You know your own body, and know best when something doesn't feel right.

Please keep us updated.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I had an MRI a few months ago but they didn't even look at that disc at all..and i told him then it was starting to hurt there and he said it is probably just nerves still trying to settle down from the surgery.. or something like that.. can't quite remember exactly..

And yes if they can't get in for a month or so they do put you on the cancellation list automatically...but i never seem to be one of the one's who gets called...but i am hoping it won't take that long..

I have been doing so much research on the net and reading so many posts/stories on here trying to see if any of my symptoms match someone elses..and they do but then i read what was wrong with them and i know for a fact that isn't the case with me..so who knows..
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    to review your information and reports is warranted.

I am curious as to why your doctor said they can not do anything about your disc problem. There has to be some underlying reason for that statement.

If you are looking more into conservative treatments, you can never say you've done them all. In many situations, it takes several attempts at any one of them (PT, Tens, Injections) before you see any relief.

Also, keep in mind that your pain medication is not going to be the vehicle to control your pain. That is only one of many different actions you need to take in order to manage your pain.

Take a look at our FAQ and scroll down for The Blend. Here I talk about the total package required to manage pain.

Still, I think the most interesting thing I read in your posts was the fact that the doctor said there was nothing they could do and that you have to live with it.

There has to be some reasons why they made a statement like that. Still, overall, I believe a second opinion is warranted in your situation.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you dilauro for the advice and response, i do appreciate it...I finally got a call from the PA at my doctor's office a little while ago and they are sending me in for some nerve testing..I have to have an EMG done on both legs...that is going to kill...i have had a few before but i think that it depends on the doctor who does the testing if it "hurts" or not...but i have 2 bad legs so i gotta psych myself up for this when i have it done..and i believe that if this shows nothing then i have a MRI or CT scan coming...but hopefully they'll find something..i cant imagine being in this much pain and having absolutely nothing wrong..but I will keep you posted on things go...but for right now that is what they said and it is better than nothing...