Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, Here's My Introduction

Ouch1987OOuch1987 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
I just turned 24, and I have 2 herniated disks (L4 & L5). The past 8 months, I have been dealing with major sciatica through my right leg, and the pain has been so crippling that I went from being an active person to barely being able to walk a quarter mile (as I'm sure many of you can relate to). 2 weeks ago, I had surgery on the L5, and they removed the part of the disk that was impinging on my nerve. I am discouraged, though, as my back is healing, but I have had little to no relief with my leg pain.

I'm joining this forum at a pretty emotional low point for me, but I'm looking forward to reading your stories and posts and hopefully finding some encouragement. Glad to be here.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a wealth of information throughout this site and the members of the forum are very caring, knowledgeable and supportive. You've found a wonderful place to park yourself and get and give support, both helpful at times.

I'm sorry that your micro-d didn't do the job, but do give it time. Two weeks is very early out from any spine surgery, all of which are considered major, and your nerves might just be angry and revolting against the assault.

Hopefully the nerves will settle down and you'll find that your surgery was a success after all. We like to say here to measure your recovery in weeks, not days, so try to be patient - your surgery might yet be successful.

Take care and we're happy to have you here.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. Cathie is so right about your surgery.. be a little patient!! it has not been that long yet and you still have every chance for a wonderful recovery!! so chin up and relax a little bit!!! have a look around the different forums and make yourself at home!! we are a very friendly bunch!! good luck on your recovery!! stop by the forum anytime!! it can make a long day go by alot faster!! Jenny :)
  • HI,
    I agree with the others, that you are still "fresh" from surgery and those disc surgeries take awhile to heal... I know, I had 3 of them :( But glad you found this site as everyone here can offer suggestions and support for you! Look around the site...there is so much info and people you can talk to...it's great!
    Day to day seems like forever, but before you know it, things in your back will relax and when you start to walk,(for strength building) the muscles will come back.. But this all takes time... So, try to relax, get a good book, find a movie to watch... and you will notice that you feel better a little at a time...hang in there :)
  • Welcome to Spine Health!!! Sorry you are still hurting, but (echoing) you are very fresh from surgery. Nerves heal at about 1mm a day, so it takes time.

Think of it this way, if we sit on our leg for a while and it goes to sleep....as it wakes up, it hurts!! Basically saying that the pain you have now may well be the nerves coming back! Try to judge your changes via week to week, and not day to day - it will drive you nuts!!!

Also being 24, you're young and springy, so hopefully you will heal quicker than those of us ummm errr..hehehe 50 and above! :) Sorry, trying to perk you up with a wee bit of humor!!

Again, welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I agree with everyone else...you are still very early in your recovery. Also, nerves can take a while to heal, so it's not uncommon to continue to experience residual pain even after the surgery. It can take 6 months to a year for those nerves to heal, so try not to feel discouraged. I am 29 years old and had surgery on my t-spine nearly 2 months ago. I can definitely understand how you feel. I have been dealing with sciatica for the past several months, but I've been told my lumbar spine looks fine. Now they are thinking I have an autoimmune disease, and I am being evaluated for that. It's definitely not easy being young and being in this much pain. All you want to do is be active and do things other people your age are doing. I also have 3 children that I can't keep up with these days.