Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Interested in what meds people are on(and how long) for herniated discs or bulging disvcs or both

mykull1918mmykull1918 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Pain Medications
interested in what meds everyone is on and how long.for herniated discs and bulging discs.This process has been frustrating and have come to the conclusion my doctor is more concerned about his ego than my health

• You will find everyone here is on different medications depending on the type and source of the pain. Also it will depend if it is post surgery and there is permanent damage or not. More importantly what are the symptoms that your having that are being under medicated? What medications are you currently on and what have you been on? Keep in mind everyone's body responds differently to medications, so the mix and type will be different for each individual, also depending on other medical issues someone might have.
  • i am currently dealing with 2 herniated discs 3 bulging discs and a disc thats leaking fluid.Also dealing withe massive bove sours in my foot.I spend most of my days in bed.I am currently on oxydone 5mg 1 every 6 hours.
  • My Dr. started me on MS contin(long acting morphine) but I had to return to her often to let her know I was unable to walk or bathe or stand even until we got to the right tolerable dose so I could walk with a cane. I find using a cane on the opposite affected leg helps the back and leg pain and numbness.

I took MS Contin for 2 years and now take Oxycontin for pain. I had a herniated disc at L5-S1 and annular tear with sciatica and my herniated disc healed on it's own within 15 months but now I have DDD in my lumbar spine and have discogenic pain but have cut my pain meds in half since I was first injured. It think my Dr. was a little slow in increasing my meds at first but after 3 months finally got relief and Cymbalta and Lyrica are also used for nerve pain or Amitriptyline.

I know it may seem you're bothering your Dr. but now that you have a Pain Management Dr. they should be able to help get your pain under control.

Keeping a pain journal may help also saying what makes the pain worse? Standing still? Walking? How long can you sit and any relief with icing for 15 minutes or sometimes heat can help relieve pain while you're awaiting your new Pain Dr.appointment But I think your Primary or family Dr. should help with nerve pain meds temporarily and order a nerve test/EMG for any numbness. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • thanks charry.All this stuff is new to me and im having a difficult time with this.This situation has consumed my life.I did get 4 hours sleep lastnite for the first time in a couple of months.Hoping this week brings better things.
  • After my first 2 surgeries I was taking 10 mg of norco every 6-8 hours and 10 mg of flexerile every 8 hours. I was basically on that for 3 years or better with some other stuff added in immediately following the first few weeks.

Now I am on 50 mg of oxycotin cr every 8 hours and 5 mg of oxycodone up to 4 x a day and 4 mg of zanaflex every 8 hours with ambien at bed time.