Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

You've said it, but I didn't realize...

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
...the pain that comes with driving long distances. I've seen many of you mention it, whether it was commuting to work or the doctor, or on a road trip, but it really is painful, isn't it?

Yesterday, hubby and I drove up to the mountains about 70+ miles each way for a church campout - that was four hours of driving. We didn't camp, we just drove up in the morning and back in the afternoon. I drove due to some unforseen problems with my hubby's driver's license (that's a whole other beaurocratic nightmare that's not his fault, but have to battle with anyway).

So, now I understand what you mean. On the way home, my neck was hurting something fierce and today, my neck is sore, but my lower back has me sitting in my recliner most of the day.

I think it's the combo of having to sit in one position for too extended a period of time and the stressful driving of the mountain roads.

I had a good time, but I will never again be the one driving on a road trip.

Take care, all.

PS Did I mention the wonderful backseat driver that I had sitting next to me and how much better he could have driven?

• Cathie,

I think its a mixture of sitting in one place, and vibration. I can sit a lot longer at home than I can sit in a car - be it passenger or driver. Bites!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Oh ye i know that feeling. Driving long distance sliding ass in every position and no mater how you sit just dont feel right. You almost want to put your legs out the driver side window to stretch out and put a brick on the gas pedal. I keep playing with the back rest lever, put it foreward , nope this no good, put it back nope this not good.

It would be easier driving standing up then siting has to be the worse position. I think once you are finaly in the car by the 2nd hour of driving, body is like in a coma of pain as if you were attached to the seat in the factory.

Glad you had a good time at least. And next time put the back seat driver in the trunk.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    For me, I can not stay in a car for more than 2 hours at one time without a good break. If I dont, I will feel miserable the next day.

Anytime we go on car trips, we plan for several 15 minute 'breaks' for me. I get out of the car, stretch a bit, walk around, before getting back into the car.

This year our family vacation (my wife and I are very lucky to have our 33 daughter and 37 year old son that still want to be together on a vacation), is to Hilton Head, SC. We will also be spending time in Savannah and Charleston.

We are driving, so, we've already figured out at what spots we can stop, so I can rest a bit.

I've tried to drive longer distance without stops and breaks. Its not worth it, because I always suffer after wards.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Always good to have the reminder from someone else.
    Yes, the most I can sit is 2 hours without a decent 15 minute walk around break. I try not to exceed 1 hour, 20 mins....and even at the end of that, I still try to walk around a bit before getting back in the car.
  • lamnectomy L4 2000, many sni, epidurals, fcet injections... the list goes on, I got my SCS in Dec '10 and a reviesion for the pns (it sits just under the skin over the damanged area, I love it for my legs, I cant atand to have them off, even for a few minutes. When Im home I use those rubbermaid plastic cooler squars you put in a cooler to keep food cold, I have several 1 is as big as your palm, and the others are 8x8 I have them in a plastic bag eith a long string to hook it i=over my headreast in the car, and at home I use a pilow behind my back and an ice pack people say how can you stand that directly on your skin (I'd die w/out it)2 hydro 4x a day doesnt cut it, my brain says go my body says no...my brain wins out and I end up in more pain, but I have always been a doer, fixer upper 53 yr old women. Im keeping myscs and my new PM just thought hed try me on differant oral meds.5 mehtadone, 1 tiney pill and I was on my rear for 2 days. tryed it with out hydro and tried it alone the the night b4 I saw him I took 1 methodone, and in the morning my 2 hydros we have to drive 150 miles to see him one way. I wa so out of it He said no need to try any other drugs you cant handle meds too well, I also explained my insurance would only pay for hdro, NO norco, oxycotten..., so I was actualy scheduled for the pump to have been put in this past monday 4 days ago. well of course the insurance is dragging their feet or butts, so now im on for the 19th of september, then fills every month or so depending on how big a pump he puts in and how everoften he want me in for a checkup and fill, around $1200 or more or less per fill depending on the drug and amount he will need. Well sorry so long, we havent been on a vacation for several years cause of my back, be 4 I had the stimulator I'd ride in the van or sitting on the coudh bent over as to tie my shoes, and keep pressure off my lower back, and of course the ice numbed it, I even carry it in to restruants with me. Ill say a prayer for everyone on here that they can get relief, and enjoy llife to its fulleest...Im still trying to convince myself of gthe same thing. Rose backpainzz
  • I know exactly what you mean. I sing in choir. The doc actually suggested this because when you sing you have to breath more deeply getting more oxygen to you muscles.

It works to a point. I start to hurt after 30 minutes of sitting. By the end of the rehearsal period, the director is noticing that I try to stretch those muslces.

THe interesting thing is that I recently started rehearsing for a solo in church. SO now in the middle of rehearsal, I have to stand and wing my part while the choir waits to come in. By 1/2 way thru my standing part, my back is feeling better.

I think it is moving around that helps the muscles stop spasming.
  • Hey Cath!

After my fusion I had to go back to work after 14 weeks as I was out of FMLA. Of course, my first 3 days back were all day training sessions.

Someone here recommended The Back Joy seat insert. It really helps. I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyound, but a friend ordered one on line.

I, too, make sure I stop often to get out and walk. When I am a passenger, I make sure to recline my seat and decompress my spine.

Hope this helps!

I agree about the back seat driver~trunks are perfect! So are muzzles! :)
  • Is this driver's license thing something to do with your hubby being born in another country? If so, I have the answers you need! I was born in Germany on a military base and it has been a nightmare to get a license because they no longer recognize my birth certificate as valid. Anyway, if that's the deal, let me know - took 2 weeks to find someone in the consulate's office to give me answer but I have them now.
    As far as driving long distance - oh yea, it stinks! We have heated seats in both our trucks so that helps - but still, that 8 hour drive to Vegas was about the death of me. Take care
  • No, he wasn't born in a foreign country. What happened was that he went to get his driver's license renewed and discovered that in 1993, when he'd gotten a ticket for an illegal right hand turn, it was never put into the system, even though he went to the courthouse, paid it and had his points reduced. So he's spent the last 8 years driving on a what they thought was a suspended license - EIGHT YEARS. I went to the bank to get a copy of the check he used to pay the ticket and they said they purge all records after 7 years.

So, he talked to a lady at the county courthouse, she found record that he paid it way back in 1993 and he asked, "So are you telling me that I've been driving on a suspended license for eight years???" She said, "Sir, I'm sorry to tell you this, but yes, you have. He said "You know, I take great pride in my driving and I'm really offended that this has happened and have been driving illegally without knowing it for so long." She said, "I know that, sir, or we would've seen you before now."

He couldn't find his receipt that he had kept all those years showing he paid because he cleaned out his glove compartment about a month previously and somehow lost it, although he found the ticket itself.

So, needless to say he (I should say we) had to jump through some major hoops to get it found in the court system, then transfered to the DMV before he could finally get his license renewed without reinstatement fees and total retesting.

It was a bunch of hooey and in addition, he needed new tags and his vehicle wouldn't pass emissions (necessary here in Colorado every two years) so we had to go through that mess.

It was a bad time, but we finally got it straightened out. Thank goodness there was record of it somewhere where it could be found and that we could get it expunged from his record. And, thank goodness that he didn't get pulled over before then and hauled off to jail for driving on a suspended license.

• Does anyone have pain in their arms from driving?

I have recently found that even after a fairly short drive of half an hour or so, both my arms and shoulders really ache just holding onto the steering wheel. Does anyone else experience this or am I just strange?

This discussion has been closed.