Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Loss of Control

ThanksKarmaTThanksKarma Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a back injury and over the last few weeks I have been completely losing control of my bladder. The last few days have been extremely painful and nearly unbearable with pain and I have been losing my stool. I have been to the ER many times and admitted quite a few times for back pain but I have never felt pain and discomfort like this before. I am so scared to go to the ER to be viewed as a drug seeker but I have been so many times and nobody does anything but admit me, give me pain meds, steroids, and PT. I am really miserable right now but I just don't know what to do. I called my doctors MA and told her and was told to go to the ER but I'm afraid my doctor will get mad at me. I feel like dying and the really bad part is that school is that it starts tonight and I don't know if I can deal with the embarrassment of the loss of control and pain. I would go to the ER if I felt I wouldn't be looked at as a seeker and I would get some help. Nobody and I mean NOBODY will do surgery because I am obese and so here I lay in a dilemma feeling like jumping out of the window or paying someone to hit me in the head with a cast iron skillet. Any suggestions?
Fall 7 times, stand up 8...

• at this point you really need to go to the ER immediately!! when it comes to these symptoms,you need to see a doctor right away! please put aside your fears and concerns and go to the ER.. i know fear can block us from doing what needs to be done but you know this is very important,this is not something to mess around with for one more day!!! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Yes, any and every doctor will tell you to go to the ER immediately if you experience any loss of bladder control, especially with back issues. Your doctor's MA told you to go, I'm sure that's annotated in your file, so you have something to back you up. I would go now.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I agree...these are serious symptoms. Pain is one thing but loss of bowel/bladder control means your spinal cord is being compromised. You need to push that fear aside and go to the ER as your doctor told you. Let them think what they want to think...it's better to be safe than sorry. GO NOW!!
  • loss of bladder control it doesn't matter how obese you are, you need to be seen immediately. It is spine care 101...

• I left a message for the doctor to call me back. At this point, if I go to the ER I will have to wait hours and hours in a chair that I can not sit in. Chances are I will end up having to go to the ER, maybe early morning so I don't have to wait. It's like you walk into the ER with back pain and they treat you like you're Crack Head Jane. I'm sure he will tell me to go and the bad thing is I have class tonight (first day of school, which I have missed many semesters because of my back) and if I just get admitted for pain management and sent home I won't have medical insurance. I really hate this, 22 and just lost.
  • I hate to say it but if you show up in the ER in an ambulance you will be seen MUCH quicker, if not immediately. At least that's how it is here. If you're in that much pain you're not safe to drive, call a squad to come pick you up.
  • I feel really bad for you. Do you have any family or close friends who could be an advocate for you? Maybe they have seen the amount of pain you're in, and you can share your loss of bladder and bowel? What kind of Dr. are you seeing for your back? Maybe it's time you had a different doctor see you. However, I wouldn't take the loss of bladder and bowel control lightly, as this is a red flag of something serious going on.
  • Wow, I feel so sorry for you. Have you been to the ER and told them about the loss of bladder control as well as the pain. As others have said above it is really urgent to get this checked out now - regardless of being seen as a "drug seeker" or not you don't want to end up with permamnent loss of control. I am sure, though, that if you emphasise the loss of control before the pain then they will listen.

I know that massive pain completely blocks any sensible thoughts from our heads so I understand that you are panicking right now. Is there someone who can go with you to speak to the ER for you?

I hope you get this sorted.

Good luck
  • I agree you need to go ASAP...I was admitted to the hospital 8/15/11-8/18/11 for pain control...so I totally understand your situation....I too didn't want to go to the ER as I am a nurse and totally understand the DRUG SEEKER thing...

It's a horrid epidemic and everyone is looked as one until otherwise proven not to be...including nurses....even if you work at the hospital....so it's just not you it's everyone....

When I was admitted my Primary MD who takes care of me post Cervical Surgery took care of me and the first questions was if I was loosing control of bladder or bowels...

I said not but why was that being asked...I wanted to learn info as a nurse...so I was told that if you are loosing control your spinal column is being pushed on by something...

Most likely a disc herniation or rupture so something needs to be done ASAP....no matter who "obese" they think you are...GO GO GO!!!!!
  • Please go directly to the ER!!

This happened to me, I had some control issues with my bladder.

My surgeon called and I was told to go directly to the NEAREST ER.

I was immediately taken to an exam room. A humbling exam was done to test the control of my spincter AND I had an MRI.

Please tell them about your lose of control. If you aren't given those exams, insist, change docs and go to a different ER.

Wishing you all the best! Please let us know how things are going.

• As everyone else has said, if you haven't already, you need to go to ER immediately. Loss of bladder of bowel is a red flag symptom that need addressing immediately.

If you did go, how did you get on?
    Hopefully they have helped you, both with the pain and loss of control.

Hope that you feel better soon :-)

• I decided to wait and made an appointment to see a surgeon and he said that the loss of bladder and bowel control had to do with my pain meds. I have never heard of that before in my life and I'm not taking nearly as much meds as I was before so I don't understand the connection.

It got better for a little while and then bowel issues just went away but now they are back and I'm completely miserable again so most likely I will end up in the ER on Sunday. FUN! My pain is out of control and they do look at you differently once you have been there and admitted for pain control a handful of times. I'm 22 it's not like it's my dream to be there three times a year. I want them to do something to help. I know being overweight can cause issues with the outcome but I have seen overweight people have fusions before.

I'm at the point where I can't sit or stand without excruciating pain. Sadly it seems like it'd be easier to have cancer because they would do something right away instead of telling you to go and lose weight and suffer through this until I'm 30 or older. Do you guys know anyone who has had a fusion and they were overweight? How did it turn out?
  • Im not a dr. But from my experience loss of b&b is a sign of spinal cord compression. With my condition the doctors kept asking me if I have loss of B&B and my answer was always no. They couldn't understand how and why I was still able to walk with seriousness of the compression. I suggest u see a neurosurgeon asap.
  • As someone who has experienced these problems first hand - its called cauda equina syndrome (ces) loss of bowel/bladder control is one of the red flag signs you need to go to A+E/ER urgently and make sure you have an MRI. CES can leave you paralysed if left untreated. Good luck