Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Traveling after 360 Fusion

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having a 2 level 360 fusion on Sept 21st. I am wondering as to what peoples opionions would be if I wanna travel from Massachusetts to Virginia(about 12.5 hours).

I would be 9 weeks post and traveling to my Uncles in virginia for thanksgiving..... Think it could be done?

I know everyone is different but based off of people experiences.

• to know how you are going to feel 2 months postop, but if I had to bet on it, I would say that it is going to be difficult.

First off, you would need your surgeons approval. If he is agreeable then there are some things you will have to do to make it that far.

If you could lie down in the back seat occasionally that would help, as well as frequent stops to get out and walk around. Padding your seat with small pillows are devices that help your posture could help.

I could not have accomplished that drive, and probably still would not do it almost 2 years out.

Good luck to you!

• Do you have a motorhome?

I would consider doing it if I had a comfortable motorhome or conversion van so you could lay down and unload your spine. Also you are likley going to still be on heavy pain meds (so you will probably want to be the passenger not the driver).

Or could you break up the trip and stop at a hotel on the way down & back?

Some things to consider.

Good luck,

• Yeah I didn't plan on making the trip. Especially since I would not be able to stop as often as I should and I would not be able to lay down.

I am wondering if I would be able to even make it to church on Christmas.
  • One of the biggest mistakes people make after surgery is not following the "rules". The restrictions are obviously there for a reason, and it is something that we can control.

You are wise to know your limitations. Doing so now may allow you to have a more active lifestyle later.

• If I was a betting girl, I'd bet no.
    Sorry, but I was on the fence traveling 2-hours after a microdiscectomy b/c being in the car jostles you SO much. And, sitting for long period is not good that soon after back surgery.

A 360 means they will be messing with your abdominal muscles too...I suspect you will might just be starting physical therapy at that point IF all heals quickly.

Make alternate plans. If by some chance, you are the % that does extremely well, bonus.
  • Last year I had a one level 360 lumbar fusion.

At about 9 weeks post op, I traveled 4 hours for my neice's graduation. My nephew, her brother, had just died and my family just wanted to surround her with love.

It was not easy. After lumbar surgery, most surgeons really limit the amount of time you can sit. Mine was ok with about 10-15 minutes 3 times a day to eat meals.

So, I tilted my seat all the way back and laid on my side. At the 2 hour mark, we stopped to walk for while. It wasn't easy to get back in the car.

After the graduation party, we traveled another 3 hours to a different town.

It was difficult!

Wishing you the very best and we will be here to support and encourage you as you make your way along this spinal journey!

Take care~Shari
  • Hi and Welcome,

I have had a 360 lumbar fusion (and 2 other fusions) so I have incisions on my tummy and back. The 2nd and 3rd time they used the same incisions.

Going thru the front screws up your abdominals and intestines.

I had a hard time sitting after each fusion. My most recent one was the end of march and am still recovering. I still have a hard time sitting but walking really helps. I try not to sit for long periods of time.

Good luck with your surgery and let us know how your recovery goes.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Nicely, I wasn’t aware about this blog a few days ago but 1 of my friend who suppose to surf on your blog every day, told me to check it out. Due to the fact my friend and me both are doing a project on this topic and he started the preparation some days ago so I think he discovered your blog from somewhere .He told me that we can have some wonderful matter from your website and he was completely proper . We have taken 70 percentage of content, photos and ideas from this blog only . so thanks for all your kind support to your visitors .

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz