Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oh no Not my dog too!!!!!

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
As many of us know from having surgeries the recovery from the position we were put in for hours can be just as bad as the actual surgery itself. My much loved dog had surgery last Friday to remove 22 stones from his bladder. Recovery the first week was pretty rough for the little guy. But fast forward to a week later when he is off all his meds he began to get worse and worse. A emergency trip to the vet today whom I just knew were going to tell me that the surgery failed. Nope surgery was a great success. But......he has a pinched nerve now in his back and they suspect it was from the position he was in during surgery. WHAT????? So now the poor thing has another week of quiet time, no walks, no stairs ( I havent figured out this one yet since my house is 3 levels and I cant carry him up and down the stairs), no jumping, basically the dog is not allowed to do anything. He will be on Tramadol and Somas for a week. I had to laugh as I watched him try to walk after taking his meds. I wont have to worry about him going too far, he couldnt even make it to the bedroom. He gave up and slept in the hall. Of course I brought his bed to him. After his recovery from the bladder surgery is over in about 6 weeks if he still has problems he will have water therapy.Maybe my dog and I can do our therapy together!!! On a serious note, has anyone else had a pet with this issue and what was the prognosis?

• Susan,

I can say I had my dog at a neurologist this past week and she has lumbar sacral stenosis and is on tramadol as well. But she had her gall bladder removed a year and half ago, and the tramadol is pretty much a on and off thing to her. But if you want help with the meds and the cost you can get a card from walgreens in the dogs name and get the meds at a reduced price. Hopefully your little guy will come out of this, as I am hoping for mine. She is on bed rest as well and like yours can't go up the staris so she can't sleep next to my bed either.
  • last new years day .he had various health problems but he went from ok to very ill in two weeks ,very sad .he was on tramadol too .its still a very painful memory .he was a loyal loving pet and he is missed and always will be ..we back pain sufferers seem to love our dogs
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Oh, puppy...needs lots of hugs and lovin!
    I hate it when my pup is not well...they can't talk, they are so confused, and they can't understand us telling them...it will get better in a few days.

• Aw, poor puppy!! I have no experience with this, but I feel so bad for your dog. I did have to LOL at the thought of you guys going through therapy together, though. Haha, sorry!

I hope he recovers from this quickly. In the meantime, give him lots of snuggles.
  • One of our American Bulldogs has spinal stenosis and it having serious issues. We knew it was coming- he started having issues at 2. He is now 7 and won't likley make it through the winter. He is on pain meds, any physical activity makes his hurt worse. Limping hard and falling over constantly now. It is heart breaking since I can relate to his issues. If he gets happy and tries to run or jump (which we have been trying to stop) he hurts him self even more. His life is turned into very short walks out to potty and laying on the bed or in the padded crate. That is it. I feel very sorry for the poor boy. He is 97# of solid mucle yet is crippled.

Good luck with your pooches.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My heart breaks for you. This has been very hard on me, I am used to him being so full of life and now every movement hurts him.He is only 4 so has alot of years ahead of him hopefully. He has been through so much this last month health wise. It all started when I took him to the vet for yet another ear infection. We decided the surgery to put tubes in his ears was the best thing for him. When I took him to the vet to remove the stitches from that surgery he peed on the floor at the vet and it was all blood. After many test it was determined bladder stones. He went through the bladder stone surgery within 3 weeks of his ear surgery. He had a rough recovery from that and now this, The poor little guy needs a break. I almost feel as if I am being cruel making him suffer through so much. Per the vet we are not a that point yet.Give your dog all the Love you can while he is still with you.
This discussion has been closed.