Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

not to scare you but......

StarshineSStarshine Posts: 68
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all,
I wanted to tell you this story not to get you scared but for all to be aware of some of the other diagnoses you can have with chronic spinal pain.

My friend and walking buddy had complained of feeling achy off and on, hip back and knees. Well, she is 60ish and active but ignored it for a year until it got unbearable. Xrays were negative and when she finally convinced her doc to do an mri, there was a herniated disc. So the doc gave her some loratab and sent her to pain management. My friends labs were fine except for an elevated c-rp (this detects inflammation or infection). Her Doc blamed it on her arthritis but it was extremely high. She left on a planned trip and was sick most of the time feeling nauseous which she blamed on the pain she was experiencing. When i saw her when she came home, i saw she was really sick and told her to go back to to see the doc. She hates going to the doc, but this time she did and he said it was probably a virus. Well, this "virus" lasted 2 weeks and when she went back he finally did further tests and she was diagnosed with cancer which had spread to her bone, ribs, spine and pelvis. It was shocking and quite scary.

Anyway, it has been difficult, but reminds one to make sure you have been COMPLETELY checked before saying that it is arthritis!! Please make sure you have a good internist that will rule out all other diseases.

I don't know how often this happens but it happened to my best friend right in front of my eyes. I do know that she did not regularly visit a doc for complete checkups and i never could convince her to do so.

Please make sure you take care of your WHOLE BODY. Back pain can be warning signs of other diseases. Ask your Doc about this!!

take care,

• Sorry to hear about your friend. You're right everyone needs a thorough exam to rule out other causes of pain. My Dr. gave me a bone scan to make sure the pain wasn't from cancer or anything else. Thanks for sharing this helpful reminder. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes, I totally agree. Get your whole body checked out, no matter what or where your pain is. My dad's cancer was also discovered way too late. Because he was a guard at a maximum security penitentiary, they said the pain in his chest, after figuring out it wasn't his heart, was stress and anxiety. The pen even has it's own private in-patient clinic (off-site of course) for guards with PTSD (and this was back in the 80s, before PTSD was even as well-known as it is now) and they admitted him there for a few weeks. He was sick for over a year before they did the tests and found out he had lymphoma and his body was riddled with tumours.

We know our own bodies, and if the professionals aren't listening or going down routes that you know aren't right, we have to be our own advocates.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • You have to listen to your body, and get your butt in to see the doctor! Stubborn doesn't win you any health races in the end! Unless I threaten my hubby, he puts off going to the doctor, and then infection or what have you sets in.

I'm sure there are things he doesn't tell me, as he knows I would be on his butt!!! :)

Sorry about your friend. I hope it can all work out ...bites I know. Thanks for sharing as a reminder that sometimes "other things" are causing us problems or issues...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you for sharing! This is definitely an important story for people to read. So often we have aches and pains and assume it's all related to one thing, and we forget that there could be other causes. I'm actually going through something similar myself, although definitely not as extreme as your friend. I've been having all of this pain, which I've just attributed to my disc herniations. Well, now the doctor feels I have an autoimmune disease, ankylosing spondylitis. I am going to see a rheumatologist in a couple of weeks, but this would definitely explain a lot of my symptoms.
This discussion has been closed.