Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello all

Still_HurtingSStill_Hurting Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in New Member Introductions
Not quite sure where to start. I don't want to get too detailed here as my story (along with many of those here, I'm sure) is very long and sad.

I am now 33 and had a discetomy on my L4,L5,S1 seven years ago at the tender age of 26. Due to many reasons, I did not have health insurance at the time. And after a very lengthy hospital stay, followed by the surgery, I experienced A LOT of resistence from my doctor and the facilities in getting any follow up care.

Without rehashing the past 7 years, I now have a doctor that believes my continuing chronic back pain is due to scar tissue hardening around my nerves. This brings me to your website here.

I came across this article: http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/scar-tissue-and-pain-after-back-surgery

I realize the article is about 10 years old and his prognosis, as I have been told by my current pain management doctor, isn't exactly optimistic. But I continue to [at times] try and stay hopeful.

I guess the reason I am writing this is I am wondering (hoping) if there have been any recent developments in treating this postop issue?

I have tried wydase (I believe that is what it was called) and was told it could help in softening the scar tissue. It didn't work and I was subsequently told that it generally doesn't work unless it is used early, after the surgery. It was 5 or 6 years after surgery when we tried it.

I am so sick of dealing with this pain and the depression. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thank You and Take Care

• I must admit, I'm not exactly "forum saavy" and maybe I have posted this in the wrong forum. I do realize this is the intro forum...but after looking thru the other forums, I didn't know where to post and I'm a bit lost in finding where my post might better fit.

If an admin or somebody else could point me in the right direction, I would be truly grateful.

Thank you all kindly.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-health, you have come to the right place to get support and information for dealing with chronic back pain. Scar tissue is a difficult issue but I hope you find the forum helpful in finding ways to relieve your pain as much as possible

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Welcome. I dont know too much about the scar tissue removal procedures or softening. At one point my pain dr did do where he went from the tail bone up in to the l4l5 where i had surgery puting some solution through to break up scar tissue.

I cant remember the name of the procedure. It never helped me because i have nerve damage anyways not realy a scar tissue problem.

What are you doing for the pain now?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    I am not familiar with the scar tissue situation.
    But am familiar with the chronic pain and depression.
    As asked above, I too am interested in how you are dealing with the pain now..meds?
    It's been a long time that you've been with spinal issues, so depression is not surprising. Hopefully, you have a doc for that, also, and meds can be helpful for the depression and pain same time.

You are in the right place. Keep in touch!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Don't feel bad about not knowing a lot about scar tissue...not even my doctors have been able to tell me a whole hell of a lot...other than at this time there is nothing they can do and they'd rather treat the symptoms instead of the cause. And I am beginning to resign to the fact that I will most likely have to deal with this for the rest of my life.

As far as meds go, it seems like over the years, I've tried eveything under the Pharma sun. And, as of today, I've been able to whittle down my main meds to Methadone (60mg per day), Cymbalta (90mg pd), and Neurotin (300mg pd). In all honesty, I hate being on any type of medication, always have and still do. But I do realize the benefits...I just hate feeling like a slave to my pills. That is one reason I'm only on methadone and not something much stronger. I've been on a lot of the stronger pain meds...oxycotin, percocet (sp?), etc, etc, etc... And I feel like I have a lot less control over my mind and thoughts...which I hate.

But no matter what I'm on, the pain never goes away. It is always there. The pain meds only seem to affect my awareness of the pain...not stop it.

Anyhow, I feel like I'm rambling now instead of being informative. So I'm going to stop for now. Thank you for the responses above, I am very grateful.